Cowboys/Green Bay | The Boneyard

Cowboys/Green Bay

Status
Not open for further replies.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Surprised nobody has posted yet. What do you think of the call? I felt it was a catch and Dallas got jobbed there. Green Bay still would have had time to come down the field for a FG, but it puts a lot more pressure on them.

Funny that Detroit tweeted that they knew how Dallas was feeling.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I didn't think it was possible for me to have sympathy for the Cowboys!

Go Pack!

Reaction Score
Everybody knows it's a catch but the way the stupid NFL rule is written it's not a catch. It's just like the bogus tuck rule everyone knew Brady fumbled it but the way the stupid rule is written it's not a fumble.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
The rule needs to be changed and I'm sure it will since it was a big stage.

Dez caught that ball. His elbow was down before he reached out and the ball hit the ground. Why did he need to maintain possession to the ground if he was already down?!

Also, isn't reaching the ball to the goal line a 'football' move' which is what's required for a catch? The fact he was able to do that shows he clearly had possession so it should be a catch.

I understand the current rule but common sense needs to override it. Any football fan watching that can say Dez caught that based on common sense, but the rule says it isn't.

For the record, I'm not a cowboys fan. I am a football fan and if my team were in that situation I'd be livid. The rule will be changed.

Reaction Score
1. The rule is clear - no catch.
2. The Cowboys were the Cowboys and made several bad decisions, including throwing a bomb on 4th and 2.
3. Dez Bryant knows the rules, or at least should know them. He should not have been reaching. He should have tucked the ball away.
4. The rule sucks - he clearly caught it. Rule should be changed.

Reaction Score
The rule needs to be changed and I'm sure it will since it was a big stage.

Dez caught that ball. His elbow was down before he reached out and the ball hit the ground. Why did he need to maintain possession to the ground if he was already down?!

Also, isn't reaching the ball to the goal line a 'football' move' which is what's required for a catch? The fact he was able to do that shows he clearly had possession so it should be a catch.

I understand the current rule but common sense needs to override it. Any football fan watching that can say Dez caught that based on common sense, but the rule says it isn't.

For the record, I'm not a cowboys fan. I am a football fan and if my team were in that situation I'd be livid. The rule will be changed.

Couldn't agree more with your post. As a Cowboy fan it hurt and I was pissed at the overturn of the original call. However, I felt like our defense couldn't stop Rogers and he would have had enough time to win the game anyhow. The guy is unbelievable. Kudos to the Pack.

Reaction Score
I'm fine with the call. You see catches that are incomplete alot due to not maintaining control after hitting the ground. No need to change the rule, just hold on to it.

Reaction Score
Speaking of rules, I hate in college BB that a coach can call time out during play. That's a rule they should do away with.

Reaction Score
It was a catch.......these crazy rules are ruining sports. The guy they had on the post game looked a little uncomfortable explaining it. I think it's sad and unfortunate that he chose to embarrass himself by explaining on national television that it was not a catch...... When clearly it was. His choice I guess, but the people in charge should should also be ashamed of themselves.

Reaction Score

Exactly! His elbow was down after contact with the defender and then he reached out and lost control of the ball. Absolutely horrendous call!

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
No love for Dallas, but he did maintain control of the ball. Stupid rule.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
I think the intent of the rule is fine. The way they have decided to interpret it is the problem. Dez took three steps and had an elbow down before he started losing control. The steps and the elbow going down have to be enough. If he ran 20 yards with the ball and lost control as he fell to the ground it would be a catch. So where is the line? The intent is catching the ball and immediately going to the ground one must control through impact. Anything beyond a step has to be enough.

Reaction Score
This was the first time I saw the stupid rule used. I was rooting for the Bears but was so angry they took away the game winner from Megatron. I couldn't believe that could ever be ruled not a catch and I still can't. The NFL has some awful rules on the books.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Depends on your definition of FB move. I saw him jump, catch, land, take two steps, lunge, and down his forearm (the one without the ball), all before the hand with the ball in it touched the ground, followed by the point of the ball hitting the ground causing a fumble. YMMV, but that seems like an awful lot of FB moves.

My question to the NFL would be how many steps does it take before this rule doesn't apply?

Another way to look at it is, if the defender stripped the ball before the WR's arm hit the ground, would it have been a fumble? I think it would have.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
SubbaBub said:
Another way to look at it is, if the defender stripped the ball before the WR's arm hit the ground, would it have been a fumble? I think it would have.

Not in a million years.

Reaction Score
The vision in my mind of Jerry Jones and Chris Christie sobbing in each other's arms has me near ecstasy.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
catch? - I think so
justice?- in my mind yes
inevitable that the NFL was going to make up for last week?- without a doubt

Reaction Score
The vision in my mind of Jerry Jones and Chris Christie sobbing in each other's arms has me near ecstasy.

Picture of the day, the guy in the red is Christie

Cowboys loose Christie Jan15.jpg

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
I just saw the pic on yahoo, the kids in the front are priceless the boys are like no way and the girl is like yes!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
That was a catch. Just because he had it with one hand doesn't he didn't have it. GB would have still gotten another shot with plenty of time though.

Reaction Score
Even with the rule written the way it was, I never saw a definitive replay of the ball hitting the ground. And there's also that gray area where the ball can hit the ground, so long as the receiver still has control of it. I think it should have stood as called.

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
There was an angle that showed the ball hit the turf while his hands were on both sides it popped loose for a moment clearly visible then back into dez's hands which is why it was ruled incomplete. In the eyes of the ref the ground caused the ball to pop out while trying to complete the catch. If the ball didn't pop out for that split second it would've stood as called even touching the ground because he would've maintained control.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom