Covid/eligibility questions...help! | The Boneyard

Covid/eligibility questions...help!

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
I have managed to confuse myself...with a bit of help from the NCAA... on how covid will affect eligibility.

Simply put: Will all players on a team....frosh/sophs/juniors/seniors...have an additional year of eligibility after this season....in effect all could come back next year with this year 'not counting'?

If the answer to that is 'no', can all current frosh come back with this year 'not counting'? Aaliyah for example would in effect be a soph next year but with 4 years of eligibility left. We know that Saylor...whether she plays in a game or not...will be considered a frosh in terms of eligibility next year..is that true for all current frosh?

Has the NCAA already determined that the scholarship cap will go up next year to address any roster issues created by covid?
Or is this expected to be done? The cap is 15 correct? Do we know how high it will go?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This year doesn’t count so yes all players could come back.

my understanding was that the limit would be 15+x next year but back to 15 the year after

Don’t think they have announced X but it should be simple — X should be the number of returning players who were supposed to have used up their eligibility in 2021.

For UConn, that’s 0, so its limit should stay at 15.

Reaction Score
Regardless of whether Saylor plays this year, she will have 4 years of eligibility left.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Blake traditionally, a student-athlete has 5 years to play 4 years of their sport. An extra year means a current college student-athlete would have 6 years to play their 4 years. This means that 2020-21 season is essentially a free, because all NCAA student-athletes who compete in all or a portion of the 2020-21 season won’t be see this season counted against their years of eligibility.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Got it...I think...appreciate the wisdom here.

I do wonder how many of the current players around the country will wind up effectively playing 5 years.
Would those who choose to do so be likely stars/good players/role players etc?

A side effect: it will certainly skew career totals...points/rebounds/assists...you name it... for those who opt in for 5.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Blake traditionally, a student-athlete has 5 years to play 4 years of their sport. An extra year means a current college student-athlete would have 6 years to play their 4 years. This means that 2020-21 season is essentially a free, because all NCAA student-athletes who compete in all or a portion of the 2020-21 season won’t be see this season counted against their years of eligibility.
I assumed it was going to 6 years to play 5 for any player playing or opting out this year. I haven't taken the time to see if that is correct though.

Reaction Score
Got it...I think...appreciate the wisdom here.

I do wonder how many of the current players around the country will wind up effectively playing 5 years.
Would those who choose to do so be likely stars/good players/role players etc?

A side effect: it will certainly skew career totals...points/rebounds/assists...you name it... for those who opt in for 5.
Star players who have a chance at a pro career will likely want to move on.
Students who want to get at least 1 free year on an advanced degree could stick around.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I assumed it was going to 6 years to play 5 for any player playing or opting out this year. I haven't taken the time to see if that is correct though.
It is 5 but only if you if play the '20-'21 season. The players that opted out of this season DO NOT get that extra year.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This is true for everywhere except the Ivy League. They still stick to the traditional meaning of student athlete and you have only 4 years of eligibility. There are some ways around it, like withdrawing from school and the re-enrolling later. Currently there is a ground swell of opposition from the coaches with in the league over this archaic policy.

For example Cornell lost 5 members off it's men's basketball team and at least 10 players from the men's hockey program, Mostly seniors who would not be granted the extra year of eligibility by the Ivy League that the NCAA granted to all member schools. So they packed their bags and headed to other programs outside the Ivy League.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
This is true for everywhere except the Ivy League. They still stick to the traditional meaning of student athlete and you have only 4 years of eligibility. There are some ways around it, like withdrawing from school and the re-enrolling later. Currently there is a ground swell of opposition from the coaches with in the league over this archaic policy.

For example Cornell lost 5 members off it's men's basketball team and at least 10 players from the men's hockey program, Mostly seniors who would not be granted the extra year of eligibility by the Ivy League that the NCAA granted to all member schools. So they packed their bags and headed to other programs outside the Ivy League.
Of course because the IVY League decided to forgo all sports this season. The NCAA (additional year) in only applicable towards players who played during the 20-21 season. The Ivy league, Patriot League and Stanford are also incline for the students to get on with life. Rarely (even in cases of injury) does the Ivy league, Patriot League or Stanford allow their students to use that 5th calendar year to use up 4 full years of eligibility. Those institutions are inclined to give you a gentle nudge out the door to get on with life or completing a graduate degree elsewhere. I respect this practice immensely.

Reaction Score
Also should be noted that players will retain their eligibility, but it doesn't mean their scholarship is guaranteed. Many (most?) schools still give scholarships for a year at a time. I could see a small, cash-strapped school with the prospect of a 16 or 17-person roster saying "no thanks" to seniors who wanted to come back.

(Unless there was some rule preventing that in this case.)

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Also should be noted that players will retain their eligibility, but it doesn't mean their scholarship is guaranteed. Many (most?) schools still give scholarships for a year at a time. I could see a small, cash-strapped school with the prospect of a 16 or 17-person roster saying "no thanks" to seniors who wanted to come back.

(Unless there was some rule preventing that in this case.)
There is no rule preventing this scenario but there might be pending legislation co-sponsored by Senators from NJ and CT. As things stand right now any coach, in any sport can simply say they don't want a player regardless of class.

Reaction Score
OK. I think I understand. This year does not count for eligibility. If no one leaves, next year we will have the same three juniors (Evina, Christen, Olivia) and the same two sophomores (Abrey and Anna) and the same six freshmen plus the four new freshmen. It will be Geno's first 10 freshmen class. Then, if we can somehow gut it through next year, everyone comes back and we add Isuneh. I can live with that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom