OT: Covid Adjustments | The Boneyard

OT: Covid Adjustments

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
What adjustments have you made ?

Adjusted to giving up public activities you enjoyed before?

Developed new hobbies and interests? Came to see the possibilities of Zoom?

Adjusted to adjusting , to the new needs of the family?

Adjusted to not seeing in person some friends and family?

Discovered something new about yourself you would not otherwise have known or had the time to know before?

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
I wear a mask in public, only golfed twice and really got stuff done around the house. Lowes has gotten a fair share of my $.
Socially, I've gone to 1 socially distanced family gathering (10 people) and stopped by a friend party with about 10 people, hosted outside so we could watch the PGA event. He lives across from the street from the14th green.
No great personal revelations, though I've found a new level of hatred for people and a new love of Darwin. The virus has become political, which it shouldn't be. If people cared for their fellow man, they'd wear a mask just in case it helps stop the spread, which I believe it does.
I do miss the socializing.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Well let's see:
No flying up to CT from Florida to see the grandkids.
Living in a 55+ community with all activities cancelled. Owner/ builder says they are sticking to their plan of reopening. Problem is nobody knows what their plan is! They won't even tell the employees who have to deal with these questions. So no band rehearsals and gigs (I play in 2 bands). Both bands already lost 2 gigs and if we can't start rehearsing by the end of August, each band will loose at least 2 more gigs each. May not be able to rehearse again for at least another 6 months is the word!
No informal neighborhood get togethers/ street parties. Very big thing in 55+ communities.

Getting in better shape by riding my bike 4 to 5 miles per day. I don't wear a mask when biking.
Trying some new meals.
Ran out of projects to do around the house.
Ditching social media on a big scale. Limiting my time to a couple of sites twice a day. Deactivated 5 social media sites. Don't miss them.
Watching a lot less television. That includes the 24/ 7 news stations.
Still go out to eat at our favorite restaurants at least once per week.

Reaction Score
I wash my hands after getting the mail. I wash my hands if I go outside for any reason. I wash, wash wash.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
We'd only eat out once or twice a month, see maybe only 2 movies a year, and don't do a lot of shopping other than groceries and hardware stores, so other than not getting to baseball games and not having our usual neighborhood get-togethers, it's pretty close to normal.

Like @huskeynut , I'm off cable news completely these days (was only watching Morning Joe anyway, which stopped last fall when I took a job where I need to be in at 6am). Streaming replaced watching baseball and hoops, although I'm running out of stuff that's in my wheelhouse.

Reaction Score
We'd only eat out once or twice a month, see maybe only 2 movies a year, and don't do a lot of shopping other than groceries and hardware stores, so other than not getting to baseball games and not having our usual neighborhood get-togethers, it's pretty close to normal.

Like @huskeynut , I'm off cable news completely these days (was only watching Morning Joe anyway, which stopped last fall when I took a job where I need to be in at 6am). Streaming replaced watching baseball and hoops, although I'm running out of stuff that's in my wheelhouse.
Sometimes, to adjust to the social isolation, I put myself in a "stream of consciousness" mode where I recollect amusing experiences during my life, like funny things now deceased family members said or did, or things I heard or saw while at UConn.

Here are a few from UConn days:

When I was a freshman eating at a table in the jungle, sitting across from me was a guy who was feeding a dog with his fork. Somebody else asked him if he was going to eat with that fork. The guy said "sure," and he put the fork in his mouth and kept eating.

Maybe after graduation, he got a job as a dog food taster. Sort of like a Mr. Ed for a dog. In that show, there was a voice behind the horse. When the horse acted a certain way, you would hear a man's voice. Maybe there should be a dog version of Mr. Ed.

Then, the next year, around 11 p.m, every night, I would hear what sounded like a moose horn being blown out of a nearby dorm window. Then a voice would follow, "I'm an animal!" After that you would hear the giggles from the female dormitories.

The good old days.

I know I have problems if I start forgetting what I said 10 minutes ago or ask a person the same question 10 times after he or she gave me the answer 10 times before. Hopefully, that has not happened yet with me.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Prior to the dung hitting the fan, I had been scheduled for some pretty substantial arterial surgery in mid-April. When the hospitals started gearing up for the projected overload, I was shocked to learn that my surgery was defined as elective. Turns out that if you don't come in unannounced through the ER, it's elective. So I didn't get my new, Goretex femoral arteries until late June. The delay would have allowed me to fish more, except by then walking was such an ordeal that I wasn't up to taking advantage of it very often, especially with the whole launching the boat alone, fishing alone, retrieving the boat alone deal due to the Covid crap. I'm still a couple of weeks away from a green light to restart normal activities.
On the more specific covid front, my wife is among the most paranoid people on earth, so we are in full blown isolation mode until she says different. The only meals I've had that she didn't cook were in the hospital. No eating out at all. We order our groceries online and she spends hours cleaning, repackaging, etc. before bringing them in the house. Haven't spoken face-to-face with anyone other than her, doctors, nurses, etc. Normally, we rarely go more than a few days without seeing my daughter and her family (other than granddaughter who works at Dartmouth medical). Really miss them.
On the positive front, yesterday I walked down my (steep) driveway and back up again with no discomfort. Prior to the surgery, that would have required a 15 minute sit-down rest at each end of the walk.

Reaction Score
Wish you well on your recovery.

Hopefully, you get a chance to see your daughter and her family via Zoom.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I don't go out much, always with a mask when I do. But I miss going out, especially to the watering hole. So the big adjustment I made came after I had a nice hit at the track. Instead of blowing the money, I bought this and pretend I'm at the bar:
Pin1309_resized (2).jpg

phillionaire

esta noche somos mantequilla
Reaction Score
I don't go out much, always with a mask when I do. But I miss going out, especially to the watering hole. So the big adjustment I made came after I had a nice hit at the track. Instead of blowing the money, I bought this and pretend I'm at the bar:
View attachment 56289
Dang, that randy bobblehead must have set you back big time!

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Wish you well on your recovery.

Hopefully, you get a chance to see your daughter and her family via Zoom.
Yeah, we video visit every week or two, but it's not really the same as getting together for dinner or just stopping by on a whim or an errand.
Kinda like all the e-visits with doctors before the surgery. Don't think any of them accomplished anything.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Yeah, we video visit every week or two, but it's not really the same as getting together for dinner or just stopping by on a whim or an errand.
Kinda like all the e-visits with doctors before the surgery. Don't think any of them accomplished anything.
Sure they did. They allowed the doctor to bill your insurance.

Reaction Score
Work: I'm a middle school math teacher and learned how to use Zoom efficiently pretty quickly. I've gotten a ton of tutoring requests this summer (had to turn one family down) and parlayed that into three different Zoom tutoring gigs this summer, which pay the same as in-person but a lot less travel time and gas $. I did start tutoring in person last week...awkward at first, but the mom brings me authentic Indian food each day and it's six hours/week so it's nice to start to lower my credit card bills after a few months w/o tutoring or coaching.

Food: Oddly becoming more of a pescatarian. I eat meat at most once a week, not sure how Covid relates to this, but that's the case. I love cooking, so no adjustment there. I love how CT allowed beers/wine for takeout and no reason why that shouldn't continue.

Family: Hardest part for me. My dad had a stroke last March. He's 73, lives in PA and is mostly confined to his bed, but he's only seen a total of five or six people since quarantine. Thankfully his GF and her family have been fantastic with him. I also miss my nephews/niece, they live only five minutes away but they are so young it's hard to be with them without them getting close. My oldest sister and mom have gotten way more paranoid with this and they both live alone so it's been hard seeing them deal.

Gym: Love walking and I've embraced setting up a gym in my basement. Honestly, I don't feel a need to go to a gym for the foreseeable future. I do hope sports start up in the fall, as I coach three seasons at my school and miss it very much.

Social: With summers off, this would be the time I'd meet with friends in the city, but haven't seen any of my closest friends in person since March. One buddy from Brooklyn ended his lease and is temporarily living with his parents in CT.

Reaction Score
Work harder make a lot less picked up a job st amazon while I struggle to try to keep my business afloat and for some reason I’m losing weight

UKemba15

Some flies are too awesome for the wall.
Reaction Score
View attachment 56289

“Instead of blowing the money I bought a Deadpool-themed pinball machine.”

I love the way you think, sir, and I believe we should be friends.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
View attachment 56289

Do you really have a pinball machine?

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Work harder make a lot less picked up a job st amazon while I struggle to try to keep my business afloat and for some reason I’m losing weight

What's your business? I some free advertising would help, send me a DM with banner graphics.

Oh, and if there's anyone who did send me graphics, but haven't seen them show up, contact me.

Reaction Score
Actually besides golf and a few weekend trips to RI been working remotely and staying safe with my wife who also works remotely. Ironically enough we both travel a lot and both have to today. I have to visit a customer for the first time, the hardest part won't be the mask or social distancing, it will be putting damn pants on. I mean I've been in shorts every day since March when we were asked to stay home. LOL

pj

Reaction Score
View attachment 56289

Great to hear you didn't blow the money!

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Prior to the dung hitting the fan, I had been scheduled for some pretty substantial arterial surgery in mid-April. When the hospitals started gearing up for the projected overload, I was shocked to learn that my surgery was defined as elective. Turns out that if you don't come in unannounced through the ER, it's elective. So I didn't get my new, Goretex femoral arteries until late June. The delay would have allowed me to fish more, except by then walking was such an ordeal that I wasn't up to taking advantage of it very often, especially with the whole launching the boat alone, fishing alone, retrieving the boat alone deal due to the Covid crap. I'm still a couple of weeks away from a green light to restart normal activities.
On the more specific covid front, my wife is among the most paranoid people on earth, so we are in full blown isolation mode until she says different. The only meals I've had that she didn't cook were in the hospital. No eating out at all. We order our groceries online and she spends hours cleaning, repackaging, etc. before bringing them in the house. Haven't spoken face-to-face with anyone other than her, doctors, nurses, etc. Normally, we rarely go more than a few days without seeing my daughter and her family (other than granddaughter who works at Dartmouth medical). Really miss them.
On the positive front, yesterday I walked down my (steep) driveway and back up again with no discomfort. Prior to the surgery, that would have required a 15 minute sit-down rest at each end of the walk.
Glad to hear you got your new femorals Rich we need you here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom