Covid-19: How Can Sports Come Back? | The Boneyard

Covid-19: How Can Sports Come Back?

Reaction Score
Good rational read...

Author disclaimer:

>>Before we get started, you all should know that I am not an infectious disease expert, a virologist, or an immunologist. I’m a PhD-level epidemiologist, but I focus on sports issues. My goal is to serve to bridge the gap between public health and sports. I talk extensively with my infectious disease colleagues to try and make sure everything I’m saying is accurate, but you should take their word over mine should we ever disagree (and if I discover we do, I’ll update this post to their views ASAP).<<

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I’m just here to see @Kathy to like every post that says sports can never come back while never actually saying anything herself.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Sports attendance is not going to happen without a treatment drug at minimum or possibly a vaccine.

You may get some spectatorless events if on demand testing becomes available.

There, you have your answer.

Reaction Score
Test people at the gate and spray everyone down with sanitizer.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Take temps, hand sanitizes everywhere and people can wear mask. We need some normalcy in the country.

Reaction Score
I don’t think I could handle being in a crowd that big with a mask on. Too hot and restrictive feeling. I’d rather stay home.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I don’t think I could handle being in a crowd that big with a mask on. Too hot and restrictive feeling. I’d rather stay home.
Not all will go, but some will. I think we need something besides the daily death count and newly infected. I wish Connecticut would post those who have gone home and recovered or test negative. We need more good news and less of the doom and gloom we are subject too daily

Reaction Score
Here's how we bring sports back: get the football team to play other football teams in Madden, the basketball teams to play 2k, baseball to play baseball all stars 2 and hockey play hockey on the NES.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
“Sorry I gave you corona honey I needed the normalcy of seeing UConn lose 42-13”.

No one is asking you to go. But let other decide one way or the other.

Once a stick in the mud always a stick in the mud

Reaction Score
Sports attendance is not going to happen without a treatment drug at minimum or possibly a vaccine.

You may get some spectatorless events if on demand testing becomes available.

There, you have your answer.

If people get tested and find out that they have antibodies I would presume that those people would be willing to attend sporting events with the assumption that they are now immune.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
If people get tested and find out that they have antibodies I would presume that those people would be willing to attend sporting events with the assumption that they are now immune.

And where are these tests you speak of and how many will be available? It's not like we have enough testing capacity to find out who has it let alone who is immune.

And taking temperatures, isn't enough. They are saying you can transmit it without symptoms. As of today, 1 in 20 people with confirmed cases die.

I have to wonder about those focusing on sports at the moment, though maybe our national obsession with mindless entertainment is partially to blame.

Reaction Score
Based on treatment available, not having a vaccine and still a laughably inadequate testing capability, I don’t see how having spectators is a smart idea.

Reaction Score
Not all will go, but some will. I think we need something besides the daily death count and newly infected. I wish Connecticut would post those who have gone home and recovered or test negative. We need more good news and less of the doom and gloom we are subject too daily

This is really dopey.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I think you would see something like a football game where there are plenty of bleachers and used once a week get crowds back quicker than a movie theater which is inside and can have multiple people sitting in the same seat in one day.

Reaction Score
One part of the region (includes Greenwich Hosp, Bpt Hospital, YNHH/St Rays, L&M New London and Westerly (RI) Hosp)

Reaction Score
It's amazing the machinations we could avoid and how much further along we'd have been if in mid-March, after getting so far behind we finally woke up and had a national shutdown for 4-6 weeks. We'd be in week 5 by now and instead of every State on a different trajectory this thing would be shrinking rapidly. The piece was well done and addresses the support services, and "war-game" nature of planning this out very well. Eventually these templates will emerge if various leagues want to get back in business even by 2021. I just wish we had the personal and political will to do what we needed to even a month ago when cases were obviously brewing. And now everybody is tired after a few weeks of semi-restrictions which means this drags on and we suffer more. We are selfish children and we want our toys back. Me too. But we need to do the smart things even if they hurt.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom