COVID-19 Essay by Natalie Chou | The Boneyard

COVID-19 Essay by Natalie Chou

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Good for her. Focusing on the basketball portion for a moment, it sounds like Cori Close has really built a good culture at UCLA:

For the past two years, I've been a student-athlete at UCLA. The culture of our school and basketball program has always embodied two things: who we are becoming and who we are influencing. From the start of my college career, I made it a point to myself that the most important thing for me was to inspire young Asian girls. I have a duty to these little girls to speak up, even when I'm scared. Act, even when I don't want to move. And fight, even when I want to shy away. I've learned it's good and right to speak up. I'm finding my words and my voice. So, after flying home, listening to racist conversations, hearing how the president initially described the virus ... all of it, I knew it was time to speak up. . . .

Our whole world is under attack. We are all facing a common enemy. Not a person, not a country, but a thing -- a virus. And we need one another to get through this. I have been blessed with this platform as a student-athlete and feel that it is my duty and responsibility to speak up for myself and my people. We can -- we must -- do better in our words and our actions toward all people, those who look like us and those who do not. That, I know.

Reaction Score
This was an article from the LA Times a few days before the ESPN article. Although it addresses many of the same points, Chou also notes that attending UCLA empowered her to speak out but especially credits Close.

"Chou also credited her coach, Cori Close, with helping her feel like it was OK to express her feelings about social issues and that people would listen and be receptive to her message. "

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro
Top Bottom