OT - Covid 19 - a # of Fairfield County Schools closing | The Boneyard

OT - Covid 19 - a # of Fairfield County Schools closing

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
Westport just closed the public schools, Wilton also, waiting to hear on New Canaan from my teacher wife. I heard Japan closed the schools and all the kids gathered publicly anyway thus defeating the purpose.

Reaction Score
HARTFORD, CT (WFSB) - Health officials confirmed a third case of coronavirus in Connecticut on Wednesday.

The announcement was made during a news conference Wednesday afternoon.

Officials said the patient is an elderly man who lives in New Canaan.

The case is not connected to any known cases in the state, and Dept. of Public Health officials are assisting medical professionals to conduct the contract trace investigation.

As of Wednesday afternoon, the state laboratory has tested 74 individuals, with three of them being positive.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Norwalk Hospital has 50 staff members test positive. They are running out of staff. Now of course someone will say I'm being hysterical by reporting this!

Reaction Score
Norwalk Hospital has 50 staff members test positive. They are running out of staff. Now of course someone will say I'm being hysterical by reporting this!

I’ve not heard this. I’m not sure they have 50 test kits. If true, they have done a good job withholding this info from the rest of the medical community. I’m always suspicious of round numbers. Why 50, why not 52 or 47.

I do know Wilton may be an interesting position. I know at least one family who had indirect contact with the family who tested positive. They are concerned. Let’s hope it’s not jumping and the original patient pulls through.

Reaction Score

Not good hospital for elder care. I hope they are moving or isolating their elderly patients.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
My sister's boys go to Red Bank Regional HS in NJ and they just had a student test positive. All kids are home schooling until at least 3/23.

Reaction Score
A simple google search indicates that ONE.......ONE. Confirmed case of an individual that works at several hospitals including a Norwalk. This kind of BS rumor mongering is exactly what I’m talking about. Hysterical or not, you are just spreading false info and further contributing to the panic. Un friggjng Real

Reaction Score
Only 3 test positive out of 74? Hope they are using these kits wisely.

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
Only 3 test positive out of 74? Hope they are using these kits wisely.
The "kit" is a collection of solutions, and is used to to run multiple reactions. As I understand it, a kit can do 100 reactions, and two per patient is desired. Moreover, the "kits" are scarce because the FDA / CDC insisted on developing its own. I could assemble a kit and run the reactions here if I wanted to (ayup, I gotta rtPCR machine, don't you?) but then I would be running afoul of medical ethics and regulations. So if push comes to shove, the States can tell the CDC: " we're buying the buffers and primers, and building the damn things ourselves." I'm pretty sure our governor already has this plan in place.

Reaction Score
Here's a chart you won't see on CNN.

Pretty sure this is exactly what is being suggested here and everywhere. Aggressive testing and social isolation, like getting rid of fans at the NCAA tournament games.

Unfortunately we may be already too compromised in too many places. We'll see.

Reaction Score
Greenwich shut down too per my sis who’s a teacher at the high school

Reaction Score
What are you basing this on? I find this incredibly hard to believe when every media outlet is saying 3 confirmed cases in CT.

I found 1 employee of Norwalk Hospital who lives in New York in all the articles I found. Where is the 50 coming from?

Last edited:

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
there are only 600 test kits available in the state. I was told this by PA who works at Bristol Hospital.

Reaction Score
Pretty sure this is exactly what is being suggested here and everywhere. Aggressive testing and social isolation, like getting rid of fans at the NCAA tournament games.

Unfortunately we may be already too compromised in too many places. We'll see.
Look at the South Korea line.

Reaction Score
Look at the South Korea line.

Yes... they did extreme testing and social isolation. Which is what we want to happen here in America. But our government has yet to do it.. Did you read the article?

Reaction Score
there are only 600 test kits available in the state. I was told this by PA who works at Bristol Hospital.
That changes daily and they are spread between hospital labs and university labs. There are private kits that are getting into the hands of physicians but that is hit and miss.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
That changes daily and they are spread between hospital labs and university labs. There are private kits that are getting into the hands of physicians but that is hit and miss.
Hope you’re right.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
The state’s capacity to detect COVID-19 doubled over the weekend with the receipt of a second test kit from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Each kit allows the testing of 600 samples, with a recommendation of two test samples from anyone suspected to have the virus. Private labs are also now testing, with LabCorp taking samples and Quest Diagnostics following soon.

Reaction Score
Each kit does hundreds of tests...so that means there is the capacity to tens of thousands of tests.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom