Courtside Vignette: Olivia and Jamelle | The Boneyard

Courtside Vignette: Olivia and Jamelle

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Here is some non-fake news that you would not have seen unless you were physically at the game. I thought it was very significant.

When Memphis called their regrouping timeout early in the 3rd quarter, after UConn had gone on a run (I think it was 10-2) to start the quarter, Olivia had just scored the last basket by running the full court in transition to take a beautiful pass from someone for a layup. When she came to the bench, Jamelle Eliot gave her a very aggressive shoulder bump, and repeated it two or three times. If she had done that in game action, Jamelle would have been called for a flagrant foul. You could tell that Olivia was not accustomed to this demonstrative expression of support and affirmation -- she seemed almost to duck away from Jamelle's physical compliment to her aggressive play.

Jamelle was famous as a player for her aggressiveness, which allowed her to function effectively and get a lot of rebounds as a 5-10 forward. I remember that when Kelly Schumacher was in her rookie year in Indiana in the WNBA, a reporter asked her a question about what she had taken from her UConn experience, and Kelly devoted her entire response to praise for Jamelle (then a UConn assistant coach) for teaching her the finer points of playing in the paint. (She was deafeningly silent about Geno in that interview, which I thought was also significant.)

I think Jamelle's sudden re-appearance on the coaching staff will be a big boost to Olivia's aggressive instincts (and perhaps this has already happened). This may turn out to be a very timely change in the coaching roster, at least from the perspective of Olivia's development.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Here is some non-fake news that you would not have seen unless you were physically at the game. I thought it was very significant.

When Memphis called their regrouping timeout early in the 3rd quarter, after UConn had gone on a run (I think it was 10-2) to start the quarter, Olivia had just scored the last basket by running the full court in transition to take a beautiful pass from someone for a layup. When she came to the bench, Jamelle Eliot gave her a very aggressive shoulder bump, and repeated it two or three times. If she had done that in game action, Jamelle would have been called for a flagrant foul. You could tell that Olivia was not accustomed to this demonstrative expression of support and affirmation -- she seemed almost to duck away from Jamelle's physical compliment to her aggressive play.

Jamelle was famous as a player for her aggressiveness, which allowed her to function effectively and get a lot of rebounds as a 5-10 forward. I remember that when Kelly Schumacher was in her rookie year in Indiana in the WNBA, a reporter asked her a question about what she had taken from her UConn experience, and Kelly devoted her entire response to praise for Jamelle (then a UConn assistant coach) for teaching her the finer points of playing in the paint. (She was deafeningly silent about Geno in that interview, which I thought was also significant.)

I think Jamelle's sudden re-appearance on the coaching staff will be a big boost to Olivia's aggressive instincts (and perhaps this has already happened). This may turn out to be a very timely change in the coaching roster, at least from the perspective of Olivia's development.
:)

Geno had previously indicated that Jamelle was not particularly excited about returning to the sideline as a coach, and had to be pursuaded. Evidently, she’s overcome her initial reluctance....,,

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
What a wonderful post, JoePgh. It hadn’t occurred to me what a great influence Jamelle could be for Olivia. Many of us have lamented how Olivia “shies away from contact.” Maybe this was Jamelle’s first instruction to her that not all contact is bad.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I had actually noticed on TV that after Meg made some good play (not sure which), Jamelle basically gave a loving caress to Meg's face with both hands so not only can she be uber aggressive but also very caring.

Also, Jamelle and Shea were perpetually talking on the bench which I find very cool.

Reaction Score
ONO is sooooooo close to being a major contributor to UConn...................she's barely scratched the surface offensively.........Geno commented after her game the other night that he was reminded of the player he saw in high school that he wanted to bring to UConn so badly.............if it takes Jamelle to pull it out of her so much the better........

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I had actually noticed on TV that after Meg made some good play (not sure which), Jamelle basically gave a loving caress to Meg's face with both hands so not only can she be uber aggressive but also very caring.

Just remembered, this is part of Jamelle's working arsenal.

1581177790893.png

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score

Yessir!

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Jamelle was very active on the bench...getting up and shouting and encouraging...2nd only to Geno.
She should be a huge help to Olivia...but not only.
Amazing how fast she's fit in...get familiar with everyone.
Making a huge contribution.

Reaction Score
Jamelle Elliot is one of my favorite Huskies of all-time!
She succeeded at PF with her mind & personality! And she transmitted "the heart" to her teammates as a player then as a coach and made them be better than they thought they could be!
This move may be the push these girls need to succeed!

Reaction Score

I just hope JJ isn’t teaching her to run over people and pick
up clueless fouls. Not every entry to the post needs to be preceded with a forearm shiver.

On the plus side, I really liked her little jump hook, and her Tina Charles fadeaway move on the side. No one in college can contest either of those.

MainefanSC

golfnut
Reaction Score
Have always loved Jamelle. The player, the person and certainly the coach. Was happy for her when she was given the HC opportunity and at the same time sad that she was leaving us. Was very disappointed her departure from HC was as advertised. Was excited when she came home, to us. Didn't realize she did not want to be on the bench. I do however, understand why. Now that she has been reinstated to that bench, horay for our team. As we all know, it's her team as well. Once again, welcome home.

Reaction Score
:)

Geno had previously indicated that Jamelle was not particularly excited about returning to the sideline as a coach, and had to be pursuaded. Evidently, she’s overcome her initial reluctance....,,

I'm sure that Elliott left her previous coaching job with a bad taste in her mouth. All she needed was reminder of just how powerful coaching and helping someone reach their full potential really is.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I'm sure that Elliott left her previous coaching job with a bad taste in her mouth. All she needed was reminder of just how powerful coaching and helping someone reach their full potential really is.
Good point. The decision by Cincinnati to get rid of Jamelle was baffling. She had taken over a bad program, struggled to build it up brick by brick, finally turning it into a winning program in her last two seasons as HC, going 19-13 in her last season, Cincinnati’s best overall record under Jamelle.

In addition, I believe the Bearcats had to play one or more of the last few seasons under Jamelle in a HS gym while a new on-campus facility was under construction. Cincinnati continued to win last season and this season with many of the players that Jamelle brought in.

UConn pays a visit to Cincinnati on 2/26. I strongly suspect that Jamelle will have a little extra motivation for that game.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
I remember Geno was very vocal in his displeasure in Jamelle's termination. He ripped the administration for their actions

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score

"Jamelle Eliot gave her a very aggressive shoulder bump, and repeated it two or three times. You could tell that Olivia was not accustomed to this demonstrative expression of support and affirmation -- she seemed almost to duck away from Jamelle's physical compliment to her aggressive play." Olivia needs a lot of Jamelle's aggressive comptitive attitude.

"I think Jamelle's sudden re-appearance on the coaching staff will be a big boost to Olivia's aggressive instincts (and perhaps this has already happened)." My view is Olivia need agressive instincts. I am not sure she has them to any degree.

"This may turn out to be a very timely change in the coaching roster, at least from the perspective of Olivia's development." Fingers crossed!!! I hope you are 100% correct!!!

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
JE is the reason UCONN will beat SC on Monday and the new play of ONO and the starting of Ana......

If so, she better ask for a big raise. :D

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom