Courtney Williams to Atlanta | The Boneyard

Courtney Williams to Atlanta

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Sounds like another player demanding out of Connecticut.

“We realize Courtney was a fan-favorite and we wish her the best in Atlanta. Unfortunately, despite our best efforts and all the loyalty and support we've shown Courtney over the last four seasons, it became clear she no longer wanted to return to Connecticut,”

Briann January and a 2021 2nd rounder in return. Briann's a good player but the scoring and above all the future potential inequity is large in this "trade". So no Strick, no Courtney, no Morgan, no draft picks and both Thomas's on the last year of their contracts. We have to overpay aging and 2nd tier players to stay relevant, I guess? That's not a championship formula.
Head bang

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Geez. That sucks. Is the location so bad?

Well sending her to Atlanta seems to be a punishment?

Reaction Score
Now suffering from Sun Stroke.... after
sunburn and sunset in last year's finals...

psconn

Reaction Score

Hard to believe, but apparently Uncasville has less to offer 20-30 year old athletes than bergs like LA, NY and ATL.

ATL has acquired Kalani Brown, Glory Johnson, Shekinna Stricklen and Courtney Williams. Not too bad. Maybe a fan or two will show up to watch.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

“We realize Courtney was a fan-favorite and we wish her the best in Atlanta. Unfortunately, despite our best efforts and all the loyalty and support we've shown Courtney over the last four seasons, it became clear she no longer wanted to return to Connecticut,”

Briann January and a 2021 2nd rounder in return. Briann's a good player but the scoring and above all the future potential inequity is large in this "trade". So no Strick, no Courtney, no Morgan, no draft picks and both Thomas's on the last year of their contracts. We have to overpay aging and 2nd tier players to stay relevant, I guess? That's not a championship formula.
Head bang

Still a really good core there of Bonner/JJ/Thomas/Thomas. Williams is a stud, they should've gotten more for her.

I don't think losing Strick or Tuck is going to hurt Connecticut. Strick was mostly a 1 trick pony and Tuck really didn't contribute much to the Sun. Neither really had any trade value IMO.

Bonner is a huge addition who may thrive with better passing than she had a year ago. January is a very steady PG who I think is a good addition even though the Sun clearly lost this trade. Long term is a big question mark for the Sun, but JJ is as good as any young player in the league to build around.

Reaction Score
ATL has acquired Kalani Brown, Glory Johnson, Shekinna Stricklen and Courtney Williams. Not too bad. Maybe a fan or two will show up to watch.
Isn't she from Atlanta too? or nearby?

psconn

Reaction Score
Does anyone think we got better? I could use some cheering up.

And what does the starting lineup look like? JJ, DB, AT, JT and BJ? BH 6th woman? Maybe NH makes a big sophmore leap? Tyler Phommachanh was never healthy enough to do for the Sun what she did at Dallas. What can she bring to the table this year?

As of now...

Bria Holmes
Jonquel Jones
Brionna Jones
DeWanna Bonner
Natisha Hiedeman
Briann January
Alyssa Thomas
Jasmine Thomas
Theresa Plaisance

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Does anyone think we got better? I could use some cheering up.

And what does the starting lineup look like? JJ, DB, AT, JT and BJ? BH 6th woman? Maybe NH makes a big sophmore leap? Tyler Phommachanh was never healthy enough to do for the Sun what she did at Dallas. What can she bring to the table this year?

As of now...

Bria Holmes
Jonquel Jones
Brionna Jones
DeWanna Bonner
Natisha Hiedeman
Briann January
Alyssa Thomas
Jasmine Thomas
Theresa Plaisance

It's still a strong team. The trio of Alyssa Thomas/Dewanna Bonner/JJ could wind up being the best front court in the league. Jasmine Thomas and January are top notch defenders too. The Sun were a quarter away from winning the title last year. Getting back there isnt out of the question even if it is less likely.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

Head bang

Well, according to Courtney, the truth is not so simple. :confused:

Williams responded to Miller’s assertion that she wanted out, writing on Instagram, “Don’t get caught up in all the rumors that you may hear about why I left. I never intended nor wanted to leave CT and I hope the Connecticut fans and my teammates really understand that.”

She continued: “the word loyalty is thrown around so loosely these days, and maybe I was raised differently, but genuine loyalty is shown through the good or the bad. At the bare minimum I could’ve gotten a “thank you” like every other player that decided not to rejoin the team, but like I said previously they continue to show me that business is business.”

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I'm mildly surprised that January acceded to a trade (maybe she couldn't fight it?); last I knew she was a coach at Arizona State and had really seemed to settle into Arizona. She's a good player.

As bbalnut said, they have a really solid core. A frontcourt with Jones, A. Thomas, and Bonner with Plaisance first off the bench sounds wonderful. Bonner is a 3/4 (can even play the 2) and Plaisance a 4/5, so there's some flexibility there. Jazz and January with Holmes providing size and Hiedeman speed off the bench is another winning combo. Let's hope they can get another free agent or two since they don't have a first-round draft pick.

Reaction Score
991732CE-8721-4942-8CE0-C74DC9A322F8.jpeg

Here I gave Williams the same salary and 2-yr contract as Jones, and estimated what each Thomas would be looking for next season. The addition of the high-dollar Bonner made it unrealistic to keep the rest of the band together past this season.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm a season ticket holder and really loved the starting 5 we had last year. ....:( . Will miss Shekinna and Courtney.

psconn

Reaction Score
Well, according to Courtney, the truth is not so simple. :confused:

Williams responded to Miller’s assertion that she wanted out, writing on Instagram, “Don’t get caught up in all the rumors that you may hear about why I left. I never intended nor wanted to leave CT and I hope the Connecticut fans and my teammates really understand that.”

She continued: “the word loyalty is thrown around so loosely these days, and maybe I was raised differently, but genuine loyalty is shown through the good or the bad. At the bare minimum I could’ve gotten a “thank you” like every other player that decided not to rejoin the team, but like I said previously they continue to show me that business is business.”

*Sigh* Head bang

psconn

Reaction Score
I'm a season ticket holder and really loved the starting 5 we had last year. ....:( . Will miss Shekinna and Courtney.

I've been a season ticket member for about 10 years and bought mini plans before that right from day one. It helps that I can walk out my door and in less than a half hour I'm in my seat at the Mohegan.

I'm not giving up my seats, but I am starting to doubt the possibility that there will ever be a banner hung here. Just so hard to retain talent and when we do we have to overpay for the privilege.

Last year we got a bunch of breaks (few injuries- same starters all year, positive schedule, LA's internal collapse, EDD's back problem, Courtney and AT playing out of their minds in the playoffs) still couldn't seal the deal. Tibeault came close a couple times without closing it, in part bad luck and part inexplicable collapse.

We're gonna be a good team this summer again, but probably not championship good. Once things get rolling, I'll pull out of this funk... we still have a very good roster that should be fun to watch. I want very badly for them to prove me wrong.

Mulder

In Search of One Objective Poster
Reaction Score
Guess Courtney Williams won't be getting anymore 'buckets' for The Sun.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Nay, just the opposite. She's from Folkston Georgia, she's going home. Williams attended Charlton County High (GA), scored 42 points, breaking single-game school record set by her mother 22 years earlier. Miller said. “Unfortunately, despite our best efforts and all the loyalty and support we’ve shown Courtney over the last four seasons, it became clear she no longer wanted to return to Connecticut.

Lots of player movement in the W this past week. WNBA transactions through Feb 19,2020

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom