Courant's Kevin Rennie: UConn Football Is Out Of Its League | The Boneyard

Courant's Kevin Rennie: UConn Football Is Out Of Its League

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I hate to say it, but he's not totally off base. But the school has invested so much already, hard to quit the big time until 2025 when major CRA is likely. After that, all bets are off.

And I would expect 100 dislike clicks to my post if such a feature existed here.

All I am saying is that unfortunately I do understand the college sports outsider POV.

Last edited:

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
Just more proof that the Courant is a liberal rag that lets unqualified, uninformed hacks who wouldn't know a fact from a fischcake write about anything they want. To borrow a line from Sir Arthur Conan Doyle; "What ineffable twaddle."

Reaction Score
HOW DOES THE COURANT PUBLISH THE BUYOUT WAS PUBLIC MONEY?

Jebbus Jacobs how about you steal this post and get it fixed.
You have to respond to the courant article in the comments section. Rennie is a William F. Buckley wish I was who never made it anywhere at any level. Dour, sullen, without any flavor. I can't even read his stuff (I get the gist of the article from the few posts here). What he doesn't get is what a huge financial boost a successful athletic program can be if done the right way. What else do we have around here? I remember a time when Holy Cross was the premier Catholic institution around here. Considered much superior to BCU. Where is that now? And why? It has to do with athletics. The two schools took off in different directions. De-emphasize athletics and everything else follows.

Reaction Score
He's a lonely voice in the wilderness who thinks he knows better than everyone else and has not been relevant for years. Click bait

Reaction Score
Wow. A credible argument could be made but he didn't even close. For those of you that don't want to waste your time it goes like this.

- Edsall betrayed his players when he left
- Giving his son a job is nepotism
- Attendance is down.

Really is that all you got. I don't want to make his argument for him because I want uconn football to stay. But pathetic. He didn't even mention the lack of an on campus stadium.

31GuardTrap

Bringing back the basics
Reaction Score
Just more proof that the Courant is a liberal rag that lets unqualified, uninformed hacks who wouldn't know a fact from a fischcake write about anything they want. To borrow a line from Sir Arthur Conan Doyle; "What ineffable twaddle."
Why does everything have to liberal or conservative?
They suck. period. End of story.

Reaction Score
A lot of people have invested a lot of time and money to build a exciting, competitive Division 1 football program in CT where there is no major league pro team and no other college team to compete with. The on campus facilities are in place. The stadium is built and expandable. The foundation has been laid. The program has had a run on bad luck as far as the coaching is concerned but the program is only in it's second decade playing in the highest and most competitive of divisions. Does anyone think Alabama was born #1 in the country when college football first formed? In the early 1900's Alabama lost to of all teams Vanderbilt 78-0. Notre Dame won 1 game their first season and it took 20 years before they first beat Michigan. Uconn hired Edsall again, so be it. If the guy does good everyone can rejoice. If he fails so what, find somebody better and keep marching on. Sooner or later the right coach combined with the right staff and the right players are going to win a bunch of games, upset superior talent and give this state the same buzz the basketball teams gave us during their first runs to national prominence. This boring state needs something new to rally around, to brag about, to be proud of especially in times of economic woes. All it takes is the right coach, the right staff and the right players.

arch

Reaction Score
"Whatever sense of right and wrong is rooted in the UConn leadership culture, football has distorted it."
I think this too true.

Reaction Score
"Whatever sense of right and wrong is rooted in the UConn leadership culture, football has distorted it."
I think this too true.
Not even close. To the extent anything became distorted it can be traced to the Dream Team. If that doesn't happen there are no APR problems Nate Miles' application is laughed at if it even gets to the admissions folks. If Somebody swipes laptops and lies about it he's gone from the basketball team and probably the school. UConn became a big time athletic program at that point and simply began playing the game like all the rest. If we stayed 1AA all the scandals that have happened over the past decade or so would still have happened. None really involved football. Kevin is what he was during his days in the State Senate. A crumudgeon who opposes pretty much everything. He wouldn't pay a nickel to guarantee world peace.

crazyUCfan23

Long live the Civil ConFLiCT
Reaction Score
Whose to say Corey Edsall wouldn't deserve a job anyways? I believe he has coached at Colorado the past two seasons (not sure doing what exactly), so this isn't way out of left field. But apparently its nepotism? The real question is, why does Rennie care so much about Coach Edsall's son? I still don't understand what he was even really trying to say in this article either...

Reaction Score
HOW DOES THE COURANT PUBLISH THE BUYOUT WAS PUBLIC MONEY?

Jebbus Jacobs how about you steal this post and get it fixed.
From the who pays for it article -
But that sports-related income isn't the only source of revenue feeding the department's $72 million budget. For the 2014-15 school year, student fees provided more than $10 million and the university contributed $18 million, according to a survey by USA Today. The school has taken pains to say the university's share comes from segregated accounts that do not include tuition or state funds. But critics see the university's and athletics department's budgets as homogenous taxpayer-supported piles of money.

So can the department really segregate its operating revenue from student and taxpayer revenue? "I don't know how to answer that question, you know, in a way that would satisfy anybody," said associate athletic director Kyle Muncy. "I guess there really wouldn't be a way to satisfy folks, I don't think, in that regard."

Since state tax payers fund 30% of the University budget and the Uiversity funds 25% of the atheletic budget, until Uconn steps forward and shows everyone where the buy out money came from with a complete accounting, there will be lots of non-Uconn fan tax payers that will point to this as another example of poor fiscal management by the state and a waste of their tax dollars.

Reaction Score
And there will be a lot of hand wringing and more faux outrage and then they'll move onto the next faux outrage. Tiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom