Courant: UConn Looks To Purvis To Keep Energy Level High | The Boneyard

Courant: UConn Looks To Purvis To Keep Energy Level High

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
In the Courant's preview for the Tulsa game, focuses a lot on how Purvis is essentially the leader of this team.

And I think this quote just seems like another in a long line of indications that Purvis is playing his final year at UConn:

"I'm one of the energy guys," Purvis said, his hoodie still pulled up to ward off the January weather back home. "I get really fired up and pumped up during the games. I try to take that into the locker room as well, before we even get on the court, pumping the guys up and getting guys excited to play, because this is the last time this team is going to get together, these last couple of months. We're just trying to cherish the moment, and I try to tell guys how important it is, and to cherish the moment."

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn...nn-men-advance-tulsa-0114-20160113-story.html

UConn_Top_Dog

"Your school wins games... WE WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS!"
Reaction Score
I think Rodney is staying. He is not ready to be a pro. If he has NBA aspirations, he should stay his last year.

Reaction Score
Purvis Miller Nolan Gibbs Omar leaving will be brutal . That's a serious turn over , not even including Hamilton considering early entry which is entirely possible.

Reaction Score
I think it's 50-50 with Rodney. Could he make a load of money overseas after this season? Absolutely. But can he play in the NBA after this season after this season? I don't think so. If he wants to play overseas, he'll leave after this year. If he wants a shot at the NBA, he'll come back next season.

Silk31

Foot Stays on Gas
Reaction Score
Purvis Miller Nolan Gibbs Omar leaving will be brutal . That's a serious turn over , not even including Hamilton considering early entry which is entirely possible.
My favorite BY delusion heading into the season was that DHam and Brimah would leave after this season.

I fully expect to see both of them back next year unless information on Brimah's injury comes to light that he actually blew off his finger in a fireworks accident a la JPP and DHam transfers to UCLA

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23, ‘24
Reaction Score
Hamilton may leave. Lots of season left and he could find himself as a late-first rounder come April. He might leave with that guaranteed money. Purvis might go second round and therefore should stay. He came into college as a top 20, 5* McD's AA and I think expected/hoped to be in the league by now. It might be that pressure that made him think he'd be gone after this season. Brimah should and will stay.

Personally, I think all 3 should stay. We'd be one of the elite teams next season if all 3 stay.

Reaction Score
Hamilton may leave. Lots of season left and he could find himself as a late-first rounder come April. He might leave with that guaranteed money. Purvis might go second round and therefore should stay. He came into college as a top 20, 5* McD's AA and I think expected/hoped to be in the league by now. It might be that pressure that made him think he'd be gone after this season. Brimah should and will stay.

Personally, I think all 3 should stay. We'd be one of the elite teams next season if all 3 stay.

I agree with most of this, especially with Dham possibly still giong. If we close out the rest of the season well and make the tournament, win a few games, that might be all he needs to be a late 1st round pick. If he thinks he is getting a promise from an NBA team late in the first round, i think thats all it would take for him to leave. I hope i'm wrong though.

Also agree i think all 3 of those guys are staying. However, i'm not sure that would neccessarily be a good thing. Sure it could be if they all improve and the younger players come in and everybody meshes well. But sometimes upperclassmen can be in the way of younger players developing. I hope thats not the case, but could happen. And its also possible that nobody improves, which would be pretty bad for us.

Reaction Score
Especially with the new NBA draft withdrawal deadline, I think it's likely DHam declares, gets feedback after the combine, and probably returns. Maybe the same will happen with Purvis.

Reaction Score
Especially with the new NBA draft withdrawal deadline, I think it's likely DHam declares, gets feedback after the combine, and probably returns. Maybe the same will happen with Purvis.
Having Dham back with the guys we have coming in will be amazing.

Reaction Score
Forgot about that! That is highly likely. I wouldnt even be surprised if Amida declared with them too just to see what the NBA wants from him.

Reaction Score
If Hamilton leaves, that will be a huge mistake. He's nowhere near ready for the NBA.

Reaction Score

If Purvis stays I think we would have an incredible lineup. If Purvis goes we may be thin at the guard position, depending on Gilbert's readiness to play. If Dham goes then we would be very thin at the 3 spot unless Durham was healthy and able to step out, but I think he is a 4.

G: Adams, Purvis, Gilbert, Cassel
3: Dham, Larrier
4: Facey, Durham, Diarra
5: Brimah, Enoch

Edit: Of course I forgot Vance Jackson. He would definitely step in at the 3 as well.

Reaction Score
Purvis's situation is very similar to DD in 2014. 3rd year players, but old for their class, putting up solid-but-not-spectacular seasons. DD might have improved his draft stock by coming back and being truly dominant, but that likely wasn't in the cards.

I honestly don't see a lot of ways Purvis can improve his stock in a 4th year without radically improving his ballhandling abilities. More importantly, Purvis probably doesn't see how a 4th year, coming off of what looks to be a solid 3rd year, will improve his stock.

Hamilton, I think, can greatly improve his stock by being "the guy" in his junior year. On the other hand, wasn't it rumored last year that he had to be talked into coming back by KO, that he was prepared to transfer or declare?

Reaction Score
If Purvis does leave, we could be in a little trouble at guard. I think Cassell will not be in Storrs next season (no inside info) so that would leave us with only Gilbert and Adams.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
Purvis is old for a 3rd year player because this is his 4th year in school. He could graduate this spring and decide it's time for the next step.

He could even decide to do what Gibbs did this season (unless they changed the rule)

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
JimOllie said:
If Purvis does leave, we could be in a little trouble at guard. I think Cassell will not be in Storrs next season (no inside info) so that would leave us with only Gilbert and Adams.

If Hamilton is back I wouldn't worry too much. If he's not then yes thin depth wise. Larrier can play the 3 when Hamilton spells a guard slot

Reaction Score
Purvis is old for a 3rd year player because this is his 4th year in school. He could graduate this spring and decide it's time for the next step.

He could even decide to do what Gibbs did this season (unless they changed the rule)
Ooph - that would be horrible.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score

Gibbs hated Seton Hall. He had a reason to leave. It would be beyond shocking if Purvis did that.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
Gibbs hated Seton Hall. He had a reason to leave. It would be beyond shocking if Purvis did that.

I wasn't trying to imply that he would. Only that he is a Senior in college with a lot of options, and like any normal student he may be ready to graduate and move on to the next thing.

Reaction Score
DHam has an advantage in having a brother who plays in the NBA and knows the routine. Not sure what advice he will give him, but combined with Ollie's input, I expect him to make the best decision for himself.

However I don't know if it will be us or 'them'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom