Courant: Taking a closer look at the four UConn women’s basketball newcomers and how they fit in for the 2019-20 season | The Boneyard

Courant: Taking a closer look at the four UConn women’s basketball newcomers and how they fit in for the 2019-20 season

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I think their was an important typo from a previous quote that could have put Evina in a bad light so let's correct

Westbrook says: “This is a style that I’m used to coming from AAU, and high school was pretty much like this too. A lot similarities just in college basketball in general. This is definitely where I’m supposed to be. The style of play, I love it. My The offense is going to be incredible this year, so I’m excited.”

The effusiveness for Anna is very high. Clearly the #5 player (even if Evina plays I think at least until end of season?)

Reaction Score
Westbrook says: “This is a style that I’m used to coming from AAU, and high school was pretty much like this too.”

Hard to imagine that this is the case.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Westbrook says: “This is a style that I’m used to coming from AAU, and high school was pretty much like this too.”

Probably means the pace, not the discipline of how UConn moves the ball when it’s running.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
This was definitely the case. In AAU ball Evina hooked up with Sabrina and I believe the two won an AAU national championship playing beautiful up tempo motion basketball that was very similar to how UCONN has played for decades.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
The effusiveness for Anna is very high. Clearly the #5 player (even if Evina plays I think at least until end of season?)
I think this quote about Anna is my favorite from the article:

"What to expect: Auriemma has said he’ll throw Makurat into game action early and often, while her new teammates have offered glowing praise for Makurat’s shooting, which should give the Huskies a big boost on offense."

She's going to be a fun one to watch develop.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Geno on Evina: "Defensively, I don’t know where she fits in. Right now we’re going to wait and see.”
Very unlike Geno to NOT know. If Geno doesn't know or is unsure he will not take chances. I'm not saying it's going to happen but if Evina is not playing meaningful minutes this may very well be the reason. As I have previously written, at TN, sometimes Evina was a sloppy perimeter defender that could be exploited into foul trouble.
I also did not realize that UCONN was recruiting Evina when she was coming out of high school.

Reaction Score
I think Geno is softening as he ages, which is fine. I don't hear an underlying sense of terror and bewilderment in the new players' quotes as I have in the past. I'm sure the end product will be as good or better than ever.

I hope he coaches until he's 90.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
This is the type of report/articles I was hoping to get once practice started. I want to know how each of the newbies are doing in practice. Have any of them begun to understand some of the concepts of "Geno's system?

I didn't realize that Westbrook's waiver was not submitted until the first week of THIS month. I thought it was submitted much earlier. I'm expecting a decision on her waiver as early as this morning. We've all been anxiously waiting for some time now. Time for the other shoe to drop. :cool:

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score
I think this quote about Anna is my favorite from the article:

"What to expect: Auriemma has said he’ll throw Makurat into game action early and often, while her new teammates have offered glowing praise for Makurat’s shooting, which should give the Huskies a big boost on offense."

She's going to be a fun one to watch develop.

As I said in an earlier comment on another thread. Anna will get her minutes. She NOT your normal incoming freshman. I'm guessing somewhere between 24-29 minutes per game (whether she starts or comes off the bench). More if she continues to be the proficient shooter she was in Poland, especially in the BIG games.

WCBB may seem like a "step down" in competition to her since she cut her teeth playing in Poland’s top women’s basketball league over the last two years. This may (not saying it will) seem to her like going from Varsity to JV, we'll see. :rolleyes: We'll get our first look at her in 3 days. We're almost there.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This is the type of report/articles I was hoping to get once practice started. :D
This is what I wanted Geno to say of ANIA----she just isn't your average frosh and contrary to other statements Geno thinks she'll play a lot as a FROSH. Never say never about GENO.

Carnac

Reaction Score
This is what I wanted Geno to say of ANIA----she just isn't your average frosh and contrary to other statements Geno thinks she'll play a lot as a FROSH. Never say never about GENO.

He's already said what he's going to do. Makurat and Adebayo are the two newbies (that are eligible) most ready for play RIGHT NOW. Mukurat is a freshman academically, not athletically. Let's not get the two confused. Again, to quote Gino on Anna: "Anna gives us something we don’t have: another shooter. She’s bigger and stronger than I thought. And she’s really smart. She really knows how to play. You can watch her play for five minutes and go, that kid played in Europe, because she just does things differently. She’s going to help us a ton.” Geno knows what he has in Anna.

Griffin will get there, soon. No doubt every player will get some minutes Sunday. I expect the starters to get about 18-24 minutes against a vastly over matched Div 2 team. Geno will want to see more of the reserves, and how different combinations work and play together. He already knows what he's going to get from the starters. We all want to see ONO 2.0. :)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
As I said in an earlier comment on another thread. Anna will get her minutes. She NOT your normal incoming freshman. I'm guessing somewhere between 24-29 minutes per game (whether she starts or comes off the bench). More if she continues to be the proficient shooter she was in Poland, especially in the BIG games.

WCBB may seem like a "step down" in competition to her since she cut her teeth playing in Poland’s top women’s basketball league over the last two years. This may seem to her like going from Varsity to JV, we'll see. :rolleyes: We'll get our first look at her in 3 days. We're almost there.
I agree in all, except your last paragraph, that Ania will get her minutes. Too I believe she'll be the first candidate for 5th starter. I said that a week after she was announced as a Husky. We shall see.

The last paragraph: Anna/Ania shall find that Geno puts a new wrinkle in the way she plays the game. Pro or no Pro she has the SYSTEM to learn. When she departs Uconn she will be a much more desirable player for the PRO'S. She'll learn to look, see, analyze the game before her. Take what is given. Pass to the better shot. Shoot when that is you. And DEFENSE at a level rarely seen in other Pro or college program.
It takes intelligent, observing, unselfish, dedicated players to be successful in the GENO system. That is why nearly all recent WNBA Uconn recruits go in the first round rarely 2nd hardly ever 3rd even the most lesser Uconn kids get a shot at the W.

Reaction Score
He's already said what he's going to do. Makurat and Adebayo are the two newbies (that are eligible) most ready for play RIGHT NOW. Mukurat is a freshman academically, not athletically. Let's not get the two confused. Again, to quote Gino on Anna: "Anna gives us something we don’t have: another shooter. She’s bigger and stronger than I thought. And she’s really smart. She really knows how to play. You can watch her play for five minutes and go, that kid played in Europe, because she just does things differently. She’s going to help us a ton.” Geno knows what he has in Anna.

Griffin will get there, soon. No doubt every player will get some minutes Sunday. I expect the starters to get about 18-24 minutes against a vastly over matched Div 2 team. Geno will want to see more of the reserves, and how different combinations work and play together. He already knows what he's going to get from the starters. We all want to see ONO 2.0. :)
EDIT----Geno saw what we see when she was in Poland---You nor I get credit for her. But we did see the potential and what a Pro could mean to Uconn.
No need to shout---High lighted sentences---we agree. I was emphasizing Geno, who didn't say this as she arrived, is now saying after seeing her. I believed from day one she'd probably get a shot at the 5th starter--because as a Pro she played at a higher level than any HS kid.
I don't know about academically vis athletically there is any difference but certainly EXPERIENCE AT A HIGHER LEVEL HAS BEEN ACHIEVED.
iN terms of Griffin---If all reports about her are accurate---her jumping and attacking the basket skills will indeed get her PT---Rebounding with ball handling skills along with DEFENCE --is the STEW Geno loves and the team needs this season. Evelyn---I'll wait and see. Touly same thing---
European players I like but ALL are not Svetlana. That dosen't mean ANIA is any less that we believe.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
when geno says "And she’s really smart. ", and I do not think he means Calculus, that is enough for me. :)
No---Geno was speaking Geometry and Trig. She mentally calculates the angles and drops it in. It tickles me and angers me when people call them dumb jocks because whether they know it or not---that;a what they are doing, instinctively.

Reaction Score
I think Geno is softening as he ages, which is fine. I don't hear an underlying sense of terror and bewilderment in the new players' quotes as I have in the past. I'm sure the end product will be as good or better than ever.

I hope he coaches until he's 90.
How old was John Wooden when he cut the string//?? Geno can out do that it's up to Geno and health.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Geno knows what he has in the new players. I think his big question is how will this fit together. Christyn, Megan, Olivia and Chrystal are a given. #5 to be determined. Then the substitution patterns - depending on game situations.

This team has the speed to run and run a team off the court. The half court game will take some time to develop. He easily has an 8 player rotation.

I think the big question about Evina will be playing the 1 guard spot or the 2 guard spot. And can she and Crystal and Christyn work the floor together. Those are three guards I would not want to face on the floor at the same time. A defensive nightmare!

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Geno on Evina: "Defensively, I don’t know where she fits in. Right now we’re going to wait and see.”
Very unlike Geno to NOT know. If Geno doesn't know or is unsure he will not take chances. I'm not saying it's going to happen but if Evina is not playing meaningful minutes this may very well be the reason. As I have previously written, at TN, sometimes Evina was a sloppy perimeter defender that could be exploited into foul trouble.

During the 2017-18 season, Duke had Marvin Bagley, Wendell Carter, Gary Trent, and Trevon Duval as freshmen, with a senior Grayson Allen. The team had so many offensive weapons, but was just not very good defensively.

Coach K is famous for only employing man-to-man defense, but he used a zone out of necessity, to mask some of the defensive deficiencies of certain players (specifically Bagley in the post, though others were not defensive stalwarts, especially on the perimeter). And it worked pretty well.

It is a bit more difficult when there is only one player who has defensive weaknesses or lapses (as opposed to multiple starters), but I think Coach Auriemma could attempting to ascertain what type of defensive scheme will work with Westbrook to get her more minutes, as she is a gifted offensive player.

Alternatively, it could be a way in which Coach Auriemma is challenging Westbrook, through the media. The challenge is to see the comments as a motivator to give her best effort on the defensive end of the ball as she does no offense. Her defensive capabilities do not seem to be lacking in terms of athleticism and skill, but more in terms of effort and heart. Coach Auriemma could be challenging her in a different way (instead of doing it in practice) by putting it out there (but not in a disrespectful way), sending a message to Westbrook to motivate her on the defensive side of the ball.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom