(Courant) Some Say UConn Shouldn't Be So Blatant About Courting The ACC | The Boneyard

(Courant) Some Say UConn Shouldn't Be So Blatant About Courting The ACC

Status
Not open for further replies.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
The whole premise of us "begging" to go to the ACC is such horse . Give me one quote where it says "Pleease pleease take us ACC! We'll do ANYTHING!"

No. It's been more of we'll keep our options open, and do what's best for the program, whether that's in the ACC or Big East.

It's all just straight media propaganda and hype.

Reaction Score
The whole premise of us "begging" to go to the ACC is such horse . Give me one quote where it says "Pleease pleease take us ACC! We'll do ANYTHING!"

No. It's been more of we'll keep our options open, and do what's best for the program, whether that's in the ACC or Big East.

It's all just straight media propaganda and hype.
There is no quote like yours but if you want to believe that "sources" are accurate ins stories about BC blocking Uconn, that the BE is thinking about adding Temple, that WVU was denied by the SEC or that Uconn did not pledge loyalty in the last meeting, then you need to believe sources in these articles -
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...lhoun-says-connecticut-huskies-top-conference
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/s...ies-aggressively-seeking-acc-move-source-says
http://footballschedule.me/connecticut-aggressively-seeking-acc-membership.php
http://www.newstimes.com/news/article/UConn-trying-to-make-itself-attractive-stable-2184651.php
http://www.ctpost.com/uconn/article/Sources-Better-than-average-chance-UConn-will-2177994.php

If you wish to dismiss sources in every article, then I will buy your media propaganda but as the old adage goes, where there is smoke there is fire.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
There is no quote like yours but if you want to believe that "sources" are accurate ins stories about BC blocking Uconn, that the BE is thinking about adding Temple, that WVU was denied by the SEC or that Uconn did not pledge loyalty in the last meeting, then you need to believe sources in these articles -
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...lhoun-says-connecticut-huskies-top-conference
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/s...ies-aggressively-seeking-acc-move-source-says
http://footballschedule.me/connecticut-aggressively-seeking-acc-membership.php
http://www.newstimes.com/news/article/UConn-trying-to-make-itself-attractive-stable-2184651.php
http://www.ctpost.com/uconn/article/Sources-Better-than-average-chance-UConn-will-2177994.php

If you wish to dismiss sources in every article, then I will buy your media propaganda but as the old adage goes, where there is smoke there is fire.

I believe we have been in contact with the ACC. I just don't buy this whole begging angle more than what every other school in the BE has been doing. Checking and reviewing possible outcomes and options.

The old adage in this sense is when you create smoke, you get website hits. Speculation and un-named sources just promote ratings and web traffic. Nothing of substance has come out of the UConn camp that can uphold the claims these columns are making out to be as fact.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
If we weren't talking to the ACC, and the B1G, and the Big VII, then the administration at the school should be fired. It is imperative that we talk to them and find a way out of the BE. Sure, at the same time, you need to keep the BE running.

If your old car has become a broken down piece of crap, you need to do the minimum to keep it running until you can find a new car. That means basic maintenance. But you don't make major investments in a care like that until you are absolutely sure that you can't get a different car.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
The article linked in the OP quotes that twit Talty.

When I saw that, I stopped reading.

Reaction Score
I believe we have been in contact with the ACC. I just don't buy this whole begging angle more than what every other school in the BE has been doing. Checking and reviewing possible outcomes and options.

The old adage in this sense is when you create smoke, you get website hits. Speculation and un-named sources just promote ratings and web traffic. Nothing of substance has come out of the UConn camp that can uphold the claims these columns are making out to be as fact.
And Uconn is not using its media ties to push their desire to join the ACC? I think everyone agrees that the ACC is option 1 for Uconn and thru their sources in the media, Uconn has made that very well known. To some, it is characterized as begging. To me, it was a poor strategy to get so many of your media allies to write and report all of these stories, including the BC is blocking us, we have not pledged support stories. The administration at Uconn needed a single unified message and tell every source to follow that message. Maybe it was push Uconn to the ACC with everyone. If that is the case, then I disagree with the choice. If it was not the official message, then Uconn being caught in a transition period has caused way too many people to to act as sources in stories that may prove in the end to be entirely counter productive.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
Herbst was right to comment to stabilize the situation and quiet the boo birds. Malloy didn't need to. And that should be that.

There are so many rumors now. In some cases we aren't talking about voting we are talking about scenarios much like the B12 in their 9.10.12.14 or 16 discussions. A couple teams on top, a couple teams in the middle, a couple regional angles and a couple of Big Sprawl angles. No 'voting'. Not yet. It's building towards some concensus and Missouri's decision with BYU and WVU on top to get to 10.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I guess we should just lie to everyone, eh?

brilliance at work once again

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I agree with 9999.

I have zero problem with anything Herbst has done on this matter. Malloy's comments were an embarrassment to our school and our state.

Reaction Score
If UConn is so intent on leaving for better prospects why not become a free agent now. Isn't it dishonest to stay when you have no intention of staying should a better opportunity appear. How is staying better than lying? None of the schools who have left for the ACC were honest. Do you really think what Herbst is doing is more honest? She's a politican just like the rest who can't say the word money, instead they use cheap phrases like stability.

Reaction Score
I guess we should just lie to everyone, eh?

brilliance at work once again

at this point yeah. everyone is complaining that UConn isn't lying so you might as well lie

Reaction Score
I trust Herbst will take us to The Big 10. There's no way the Big10 leaves the NY/NE markets to the ACC or Big 12 when they have a BIg 10 network to feed with content that would interest the eyeballs and advertisers in the megalopolis of NYC. And the other sports on that network, like BBall, will gain dramatically with UConn's inclusion. I'm quietly confident that back room discussions are being held.

Reaction Score
Of all the possibilities the Big 10 makes the most sense of all
Ohio State, Mich,and Penn State have better name recognition in the Northeast than any ACC combo
We could play home games at Yankee stadium, or Foxboro. and get a pretty good share in a large Market

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Must. Beg. Harder.
:rolleyes:

Come on man, time to get over yourself. Do you sit and chuckle when you make this same lame statement over and over again? Herbst would be derelict in her duty if she wasn't exploring all options and trying to get UConn in the best position possible. That's not begging. Expressing interest in another conference isn't begging. You are truly the only one on this begging kick.

Reaction Score
Someone else needs to be the new Indiana of the Big 10 - why not UConn?

Reaction Score
We should learn a thing or two from SU, Pitt and BCU. We should talk to everyone in the backroom while pledging royalty to the BE. Those guys played everyone else pretty well. We should do it backroom style like they did. It is too bad the cat is already out of the bag that we want out.

Reaction Score
If UConn is so intent on leaving for better prospects why not become a free agent now. Isn't it dishonest to stay when you have no intention of staying should a better opportunity appear. How is staying better than lying? None of the schools who have left for the ACC were honest. Do you really think what Herbst is doing is more honest? She's a politican just like the rest who can't say the word money, instead they use cheap phrases like stability.

Was that a question? If it was then certainly every team should quit their leagues now because they might take a better opportunity in the future. The Big East has been harpooned largely because of a failed leader who proved to be out of touch and uninformed. His vision for the future was a disfunctional model vulnerable to the direction the market was headed and the ambitions of other leagues and teams. We got left behind and it looks like we don't get a second chance as a league, but maybe a lifeline somewhere else. He's telling us to get off our high horse and go back to 1AA and like it.

But we should care about what some people say.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Why is it politics or dishonest to want to take advantage of the best opportunities available. Have you sold any meaningful possessions deliberately for a loss? If you own a house would you take an offer for 1/2 its current market value from one of your neighbors if your family needs the money. I feel for your loyalty to the bb schools and the BE conference. I hate that things have changed and may continue to change. Advocating from your perspective is understandable but not necessarily noble. Your opinion does not change the way most people operate in this world.

If President Herbst's actions were intended for the purpose of personal financial gain then you and I might be on the same side. But that isn't the case. She has decided to advocate for the University of Connecticut first and the BE conference second. She has openly stated that in her opinion the ACC would be UConn's first choice if it became available, based on her most recent assessment of the benefits and risks for UConn by going to the ACC conference vs. staying in the BE. As things now stand the BE would be her second choice. But things could change and, like all reasonable and intelligent people, I'm sure she will reassess things frequently to determine the best outcome for the University.

The bb only schools or the other BE football schools may feel like she is playing them. Well she is in a way. But so are they. They may want her and UConn to go packing - an honest feeling. But they don't want to shoot themselves in the foot so they are cordial to her - a dishonest position. Not all arrangements are perfect for all parties.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
so if UConn released a statement that said "we are 100% totally committed to the Big East and our conference partners", does anyone really believe that changes anything?

does anyone really believe other schools will think UConn won't bolt now?

does anyone here really believe that any of the remaining football schools will stay in the conference should they receive an invite from the ACC, B10 or SEC? maybe even a solidified B12?

everybody knows the obvious

come on guys

Reaction Score
A statement by Herbst that we are 100% committed "to making this the best Big East ever", would sound suspiciously like the folks at BC, who uttered those words moments before bolting out the door with their second ACC invitation..They were rightfully vilified as being two faced, disingenuous, unethical, backstabbing weasels. I much prefer her being transparent. No one can accuse us of the bait and switch here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom