Courant: Is Paige already the best UCONN frosh ever? | The Boneyard

Courant: Is Paige already the best UCONN frosh ever?

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Not sure how this can even be asked. The best UCONN frosh is without a doubt, Breanna Stewart. When your team wins the NCAA championship and you are the MOP; you are the best UCONN frosh ever. So Paige better win the NCAA tourney and become its MOP then and only then will her gaudy stats mean anything. Oh! But Stewie had better players on her team. Players who already proved without Stewie they could not win the NCAA tourney. Stewie was the catalyst. So now Paige knows her role and what to accomplish to be the best with her gaudy stats.

Reaction Score
Not sure how this can even be asked. The best UCONN frosh is without a doubt, Breanna Stewart. When your team wins the NCAA championship and you are the MOP; you are the best UCONN frosh ever. So Paige better win the NCAA tourney and become its MOP then and only then will her gaudy stats mean anything. Oh! But Stewie had better players on her team. Players who already proved without Stewie they could not win the NCAA tourney. Stewie was the catalyst. So now Paige knows her role and what to accomplish to be the best with her gaudy stats.

Way too early Paige evaluation. Wait until the season is over and then evaluate her relative to the all-time great Uconn freshmen like Breanna Stewart.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Since it seems Stewie is probably the best comparison for best Freshman performance ever at UConn, everything centers around that.

First, winning the NCAA championship and MOP are redundant for Paige. We win, it is because Paige had a monumental championship run so she gets MOP by default.

Second, Stewie really did not have that much pressure in the sense that she could ease her way into the Tournament games and build her confidence from a rough season. with enough AA around her until she finally got it together.

If Paige can do it (a super big if), there is absolutely nothing else like it in UConn (or maybe all WCBB history) especially with the pressure of reinvigorating the dynasty on her

If not, I might still consider comparisons for greatest if she played great but did not get enough help from her teammates (something Stewie never had to face)

and doing it in the Pandemic would be even more Herculean. No friendly crowds etc.

Reaction Score
I will say this over and over and over again.

There is a clear anti-UCONN bias campaign going on at ESPN. I've watched a lot of games and if freshman Paige Bueckers was doing this at any school that didn't have UCONN across her uniform, they would be singing her praises. Most WBB people just don't like us or are sick of us. It's blatantly obvious.

I mean, the day before the SC game Debbie Antonelli was almost pleading that the only two NPOY candidates were Boston and Evans.(Yes, she is that powerful a voice. I mean, she, and the Sparks PR team, got Candace Parker as DPOY in the WNBA). In the same sequence, Mowins pretty much said that Clark was NFOY and called Paige what amounted to be a nice player. Then, after the game, Rebecca Lobo, who like Jay Bilas, is very diplomatic, stated that Clark was one of the best freshman in the country, if not the best.

And.....we all read Voepel's article. I usually like Mechelle, a lot, but that was clearly dictated for her to craft that article in that way. Almost everything I saw on a National level, from anyone who works at ESPN was about how SC lost that game and not how UCONN won it.

And, don't even get me started on McNutt.

Reaction Score

I'd say Paige is on track to be the best freshman ever and has the best first 16 games of any freshman. Over the course of a FULL SEASON Maya Moore still has the best freshman season with Paige on track to surpass her. Maya went from spark off the bench, to starter, to being asked to practically carry the team similar to what Paige is being asked right now.
I'd say the supporting cast in both cases is pretty similar:decent but flawed. Maya got her group to the final 4 in 2008 but they couldn't overcome a hot shooting Stanford team in the semis. We have to see how Paige finishes the season and how far she can carry her group before rendering a verdict.
As far as Stewie, she has the best tournament of any freshman for sure but feel her full body of work falls short of Maya. Stewie started out great as a spark off the bench the way Maya did but was MIA a good part of the season and was never counted on to carry the team the way Maya was or the way Paige is. Stevie's team could have made the final 4 even she did nothing in the tournament whereas Maya"s team would never have without her carrying the load and no way Paige's team will if she doesn't.
Stevie's performance against ND in the semis was one for the ages and they may not have won that game without it. She tore up Louisville in the finals as well but they were way better anyway and even if she has a ho hum game they probably still win. So Stewie by far had the best tournament but Maya had the most complete season and a bigger burden on her shoulders than Stewie. Paige needs a full season before determining where she stands.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
While a comparison of Paige to Stewie is an obvious one, it is interesting to hear just who Geno compares Paige to. In his mind, a more accurate comparison of Paige as a freshman is to DT as a junior.

Geno’s take is that Paige has, to some extent, carried this year’s UConn WBB team in the same way that DT carried the team after the graduation of the Big 4 from the prior season.

Ultimately, whether or not Paige can carry this team to a National Championship, as DT did her junior year, might just answer the question, “Is she the best UConn frosh ever?”

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

There is a clear anti-UCONN bias campaign going on at ESPN. I've watched a lot of games and if freshman Paige Bueckers was doing this at any school that didn't have UCONN across her uniform, they would be singing her praises. Most WBB people just don't like us or are sick of us. It's blatantly obvious.

I mean, the day before the SC game Debbie Antonelli was almost pleading that the only two NPOY candidates were Boston and Evans.(Yes, she is that powerful a voice. I mean, she, and the Sparks PR team, got Candace Parker as DPOY in the WNBA). In the same sequence, Mowins pretty much said that Clark was NFOY and called Paige what amounted to be a nice player. Then, after the game, Rebecca Lobo, who like Jay Bilas, is very diplomatic, stated that Clark was one of the best freshman in the country, if not the best.

And.....we all read Voepel's article. I usually like Mechelle, a lot, but that was clearly dictated for her to craft that article in that way. Almost everything I saw on a National level, from anyone who works at ESPN was about how SC lost that game and not how UCONN won it.

We have to understand outsiders will always want to topple dynasties and try to distribute praise as the powers want and perhaps need greater parity. Let them talk. Paige gets enough praise from enough people. Her future as one of the best ever is secure irregardless of what other players do or how others may look on them

Some seem to make the equivalence of Caitlin to Paige by saying how happy we would be if Caitlin was a Husky and that is probably true as far as it goes but I have my doubts if Caitlin could handle the pressures and systems (and especially Geno) as seamlessly as she is doing at Iowa. I am sure she would be a dynamic player here but could she really handle everything being asked of Paige.

And even if she did, the actual aesthetics of the game (something very important to me at least) would not be at the level Paige does it.

So I just smile and count my blessing that the player most perfect for UConn showed up and will be bringing her BFF and will get the help she needs so that she can go back to being the Pass First Player who can still bury you if needed,.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Way too early Paige evaluation. Wait until the season is over and then evaluate her relative to the all-time great Uconn freshmen like Breanna Stewart.
I've seen enough to put Paige in the top echelon. Nobody loved Stewie more than me but she wasn't at Paige's level in February. March is when she really started to shine.

Reaction Score
Ultimately it comes down to how you evaluate it. In the regular season, Stewart was not nearly as impactful. There were 22 All-Big East selections in 2012-13 and she wasn’t one of them (she got an honorable mention - Jewell Loyd was the ROY in the Big East). Paige is in the NPOY discussion. Stewie had different circumstances - had a veteran team and wasn’t playing a big role down the stretch (0 points in 7 minutes in a loss at Baylor in February, 5 points in 3OT loss to ND in March).

Stewie obviously turned it on at the right time and has the best NCAA Tournament for a UConn freshman, and it’ll be difficult for Paige (or anyone) to match that. As much as I enjoy watching this team and our current No. 1 ranking, a NC is a tall order. But Paige has had the best overall freshman season for us, and it’ll be equally hard for anyone to match her in the future. It’ll be a while before we have someone needing to carry so much of the load in the first year. Now there’s a very real chance she’ll go out in March with a bad game - first time through a tourney, and she’ll be a target of opposing game plans. She could run into a defender who stays in her shirt off screens or face guards her and makes life difficult (a MoJeff type - DiDi Richards at Baylor could be a problem in that regard). Or she could just miss shots and have “one of those nights” like DT did. The tourney is sometimes just a crapshoot, but it shouldn’t be needed to validate the overall season she’s had.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
One more thought on this comparison

Stewie with her unmatched athleticism could always focus on getting an easy score to break a bad game. Or pull out to 3pt and take a shot no one could realistically contest And if that does not work, just block a few shots. Paige does not have that safety net. Her shot is not falling, hard to make that up from her position and standing on the team. If she is not shooting well, I do not see us winning a top 10 matchup. And if she is not shooting well, I think the confidence of our other players takes a dip.

That among other reasons is why I voted for Paige.

Reaction Score

Agree about Stewie being the best. However, there is really no comparison between the respective complementary casts. Stewie had a far better team around her than Paige does. Not even close!

Reaction Score

Well said! I too think that the media in general, and specifically ESPiN is blatantly biased against UConn. It is infuriating to hear them tout SC as if they had actually won that game. However, it will be that much sweeter if we can somehow manage to win the NC this year! I have little doubt that we will be a dominant team for the next three to five years so if Geno can nurse this team across the finish line this year we will have a chance to really rub ESPiN’s nose in it! It won’t be easy, but if it happens, it will definitely be the most satisfying championship of them all for me.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Well said! I too think that the media in general, and specifically ESPiN is blatantly biased against UConn.

Do you watch ESPN or their networks? They have highlighted Paige's game on numerous occasions, hyped her on Around the Horn, talked her up on several of the radio podcasts, and just did a segment on her which included an interview in the video I posted above. I'm at a loss to find this anti-UConn sentiment.

Reaction Score
We have to understand outsiders will always want to topple dynasties and try to distribute praise as the powers want and perhaps need greater parity. Let them talk. Paige gets enough praise from enough people. Her future as one of the best ever is secure irregardless of what other players do or how others may look on them

Some seem to make the equivalence of Caitlin to Paige by saying how happy we would be if Caitlin was a Husky and that is probably true as far as it goes but I have my doubts if Caitlin could handle the pressures and systems (and especially Geno) as seamlessly as she is doing at Iowa. I am sure she would be a dynamic player here but could she really handle everything being asked of Paige.

And even if she did, the actual aesthetics of the game (something very important to me at least) would not be at the level Paige does it.

So I just smile and count my blessing that the player most perfect for UConn showed up and will be bringing her BFF and will get the help she needs so that she can go back to being the Pass First Player who can still bury you if needed,.
I’m one of those who wishes Clark had come to UConn. However, I most definitely do not mean instead of Paige but rather with her! Of course, there’s no way to know if she would have played this well here but if she did, it would really be something! As long as I’m dreaming, the other player I would have liked to see here is Haley Jones. However, I am very happy with our freshmen and am looking forward to seeing them grow.

Reaction Score
I don't get and read the Courant; and, the majority of the sport writers following the Huskies are hard to digest (in my view) for a thinking person. I am embarrassed at the questions they asked the players and am thinking that many of these players are close to losing it. Although I have not read the article in question I am of the view that you can celebrate the play of a player without wiping/rubbing it in the face of the others- who are/have been freshmen. We have our own boneyard for such plights. I doubt it helps in the selling of their newspaper- and if I read Paige correctly she cannot use such trite for anything.
I should say that I found Geno's remark about those who must carry the piano upstairs vs the pianist to be poorly said. (Is the job of the rest of the team to hold the dresstail of Princess Paige off the ground, Geno? Let us now give thanks to Paige who screamed No No, please no.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

McNutt was the co-host of ESPN’s ” nationally broadcast” game night last night. I often listen to ESPN programs at night. Once I recognized her voice, I turned it off.

Reaction Score
Paige deserves every ounce of credit she has received, but I'm also not seeing the anti-UConn bias. Paige has received probably more ESPN articles and headlines than any other NCAA player over the past nine months. Again, totally deserved, but she has certainly received her fair share of credit.

Reaction Score
Let’s just say Paige is having a great season. Comparing her to past freshman just doesn’t play out. Different freshman had different, perhaps better, teammates, and played possibly harder schedules. I suspect Paige could have held her own but might not have needed to.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Do you watch ESPN or their networks? They have highlighted Paige's game on numerous occasions, hyped her on Around the Horn, talked her up on several of the radio podcasts, and just did a segment on her which included an interview in the video I posted above. I'm at a loss to find this anti-UConn sentiment.
AGAINNNN. I’m talking about the WBB analysts, announcers and media personal that are former WBB players. That’s where the bias is.

ESPN overall as a company is not doing this, but WBB niche specific, is.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
AGAINNNN. I’m talking about the WBB analysts, announcers and media personal that are former WBB players. That’s where the bias is.

ESPN overall as a company is not doing this, but WBB niche specific, is.

Can you give some examples of who and what you are referring to? ESPN personalities and media have lavished praise on her including John Buccigross and John Anderson.

They just had a segment on her during Countdown to Gameday on Saturday as well. Pretty high praise from ESPN media there.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom