Courant, dueling headlines | The Boneyard

Courant, dueling headlines

Reaction Score
I had to chuckle at the dueling headlines this morning. I love Gabby and KLS but it's not tough for me to single out the HPOY. And I would have said that before last night as well.

upload_2017-2-28_12-57-6.png

Reaction Score
I had to chuckle at the dueling headlines this morning. I love Gabby and KLS but it's not tough for me to single out the HPOY. And I would have said that before last night as well.

View attachment 20171
A couple of thoughts in regards to the Team's Player of the Year (or HPOY as you called it)... Geno made the comment during the USF Post Game... that the AAC Player of the Year should be based on the entire regular season, and not just a hand full of games, or games lately. He also said he's glad he isn't the one making the choice (he can't vote for his own player(s)) because several Huskies have been the "POY" Candidate during various stretches of the season. ... and as I recall, each time there were BYers proclaiming that player as POY Candidate... like when Lou scored 20+ points per game (30+ in back to back games) in a stretch of 8 out of 11 games including her "barfalicious game" vs MD, and 28, 35, 32 in 3 games vs SMU, Tulsa and Tulane (tying the UCONN 3 game record). And Gabby's incredible game vs SC, her triple double, her team leading rebounding in a ton of games along with her general incredible defense. And most recently Pheesa's incredible play and being top Husky basically since Feb 1st...including her personal best 31 and 39 points in the period of a week. and Kia's leadership all season and 33 points vs Depaul. Each period of time someone has been .The Go To Player... the POY Candidate. I am not arguing for one player or another, just making observation that each has been the IT Player during stretches, that Each Player is integral to the overall success of the TEAM, and that without any of them, the success of the TEAM would not likely be what it has been. So, I'm just sayin'... the Newpaper's headline was essentially quoting Geno...and showing that it's not a simple choice because of the level of play displayed by our girls over the season. Kara said during last night's telecast that she believes UCONN will have 3 AAs again this year...I surely hope so, they deserve it. As for AAC POY, I'm confident a Husky will win...and we'll likely have more than a few on the AAC All Conference Team...again, because they deserve it. BUT, they all have one prize they want to win together that means so much more than the individual awards.

Reaction Score

View attachment 20171
Sorry---but I don't see dueling headlines. I see the headlines addressing two slightly different subjects. Nothing inconsistent in my view.
I wasn't aware---dull witted me--that Geno/Uconn had a Husky Player of the Year .
AAC player of the year, NPOY ---The only one that matters--is the Hall of Fame for Geno's Hall

Reaction Score
Sorry---but I don't see dueling headlines. I see the headlines addressing two slightly different subjects. Nothing inconsistent in my view.
I wasn't aware---dull witted me--that Geno/Uconn had a Husky Player of the Year .
AAC player of the year, NPOY ---The only one that matters--is the Hall of Fame for Geno's Hall
Oh I recognize that nothing would seem amiss for many, maybe even most, BYers. But for some of us it's not a tough call. And if you're in that camp I think the juxtaposition had to be amusing.

Reaction Score
A couple of thoughts in regards to the Team's Player of the Year (or HPOY as you called it)... Geno made the comment during the USF Post Game... that the AAC Player of the Year should be based on the entire regular season, and not just a hand full of games, or games lately. He also said he's glad he isn't the one making the choice (he can't vote for his own player(s)) because several Huskies have been the "POY" Candidate during various stretches of the season. ... and as I recall, each time there were BYers proclaiming that player as POY Candidate... like when Lou scored 20+ points per game (30+ in back to back games) in a stretch of 8 out of 11 games including her "barfalicious game" vs MD, and 28, 35, 32 in 3 games vs SMU, Tulsa and Tulane (tying the UCONN 3 game record). And Gabby's incredible game vs SC, her triple double, her team leading rebounding in a ton of games along with her general incredible defense. And most recently Pheesa's incredible play and being top Husky basically since Feb 1st...including her personal best 31 and 39 points in the period of a week. and Kia's leadership all season and 33 points vs Depaul. Each period of time someone has been .The Go To Player... the POY Candidate. I am not arguing for one player or another, just making observation that each has been the IT Player during stretches, that Each Player is integral to the overall success of the TEAM, and that without any of them, the success of the TEAM would not likely be what it has been. So, I'm just sayin'... the Newpaper's headline was essentially quoting Geno...and showing that it's not a simple choice because of the level of play displayed by our girls over the season. Kara said during last night's telecast that she believes UCONN will have 3 AAs again this year...I surely hope so, they deserve it. As for AAC POY, I'm confident a Husky will win...and we'll likely have more than a few on the AAC All Conference Team...again, because they deserve it. BUT, they all have one prize they want to win together that means so much more than the individual awards.
I agree that the IT player has shifted around. But I think you would find that Napheesa's performance in games where she was NOT the IT person was still consistently very strong. More so than the other two.

Reaction Score
On a related note...who do you think Geno votes for? Who's the best player from the rest of the league? Laksa?

Reaction Score
On a related note...who do you think Geno votes for? Who's the best player from the rest of the league? Laksa?

Fitzgerald(17pts and 7ast) from Temple has a pretty good case as well.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
damn all that, who would you pick for the conference POY?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom