Courant Coverage Unbelievable | The Boneyard

Courant Coverage Unbelievable

Reaction Score
What the heck has happened to the coverage of UConn Women's Basketball by the Hartford Courant? It has become more than an embarassment. In today's coverage of the Baylor game the statement is made that the team likely won't see another highly ranked opponent until the NCAA Tournament, as they begin conference play at the end of the week. I guess #3 Louisville and Jeff wouldn't be too happy to read that little snippet.

Reaction Score
Pretty sure Tribune Publishing has slashed costs. I'm assuming that's why.

Reaction Score
What the heck has happened to the coverage of UConn Women's Basketball by the Hartford Courant? It has become more than an embarassment. In today's coverage of the Baylor game the statement is made that the team likely won't see another highly ranked opponent until the NCAA Tournament, as they begin conference play at the end of the week. I guess #3 Louisville and Jeff wouldn't be too happy to read that little snippet.

Sounds like "bulletin board material", if you ask me. Perhaps Dawn would also use this article as bulletin board material...the article is correct in saying, "team likely won't see another highly ranked opponent"...when talking about South Car. ;)

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
More fun to read the opponent press anyway. Fun article with a lot of praise for UConn as expected.

Lady Bears know they'll need to score plenty to keep pace with Huskies

“Guys, it boils down to this, they have All-Americans at every position,” said Mulkey, whose squad will host the Huskies at 8 p.m. Thursday. “In the game of basketball, you don’t need but five. We’ve got to score with them. They can score from every position.”

and referring to Pheesa and Lou

“They’re nightmares to guard,” Mulkey said. “They’re just so fluid with what they do. What are their weaknesses, really? When you do scouting reports, it’s like, well take this away or make her do this. With those two kids, they’re just such all-around ball players.

and for a bit of stroking your opponent

“Guys, it boils down to this, they have All-Americans at every position,” said Mulkey, whose squad will host the Huskies at 8 p.m. Thursday. “In the game of basketball, you don’t need but five. We’ve got to score with them. They can score from every position.”

Reaction Score
More fun to read the opponent press anyway. Fun article with a lot of praise for UConn as expected.

“They’re nightmares to guard,” Mulkey said. “They’re just so fluid with what they do. What are their weaknesses, really? When you do scouting reports, it’s like, well take this away or make her do this. With those two kids, they’re just such all-around ball players.

Quote was so good it warranted two of them. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score

These, for the most part, are those one makes when expecting to lose. If you lose you were beaten by a superior team--no shame. If you win: You climbed the unclimbable mountain and had beaten the best, are you good or what? It is all in how you want to blow the smoke. Mulkey and her press agents are prepared for all eventual outcomes.

Reaction Score
What bugs me is Hearst Connecticut Media, which operates a newspaper monopoly in Fairfield County and New Haven County. In their sports scores section they list "college basketball" scores, by which they mean "men's college basketball scores." But they don't even bother to print women's scores anymore, or when only rarely. Another problem is that they print scores early, so in print the New York Times most times has more scores from later games, men and women, than does Hearst, which prints right here in Connecticut.

At least, they should make a distinction between "men's basketball" and "women's basketball." In the home state of UConn women's basketball, it's an egregious oversight.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
"So, we’re not going to do anything with the hopes that we’re going to make them foul out of the game. That’s not going to happen. "

Hmmmm....what's she really saying her. 'Course she is going to have her giants feed to the max, so it's up to Meg and Phee to contest, but not be overly aggressive. The best inside defense against these lumbering bigs is to deny them the ball.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I have attached a link to the Baylor new Tale of the tape for tonight’s matchup with the coaches. It’s actually a nice little piece with nice and respectful comments from Kim. Usually in all these coaches matchups, Kim credentials would overwhelm most of them, however in this rare situation, she is dwarfed by Geno’s accomplishments.
I infer from Geno’s comments this year and in past years, he respects Baylor and kinda sorta possibly likes Kim. She is a “Geno light” in her comments from time to time and I know she gets bashed on this forum from time to time (sometimes well deserved and sometimes not so much) but she has been a great coach and leader for WCBB more so than some others who have nationally prominent programs!
Tale of the tape: Kim vs. Geno
Enjoy...

Reaction Score
You just didn't get get the gist of what I was getting at and I am not being nitty gritty here - - - - this gal is supposedly the beat writer for the UConn team and yet does NOT know that we are playing Louisville, the #3 team well BEFORE the NCAA's????. Come on - give me a break Even a cub reporter would know that.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
You're pretty tough on Kelli Stacy, aren't you? As far as I'm concerned, the overall quality of her reporting on UConn WCBB is at least as high as what John A was doing, and there seems to be more of it. I suspect that very little fact-checking of her stories is done, which might catch inevitable errors such as overlooking the Louisville game.

I think the Courant found a winner with this reporter, and we should be very pleased at what she is producing, and in what she will probably continue to produce. I was impressed in other articles by how much she knew or had learned about UConn WCBB history, long before she was around the program.

Reaction Score
Sorry but being as good as John Altavilla, at least at the end of his tenure, is no praise at all. I haven't been impressed with Kelli Stacy yet, though I'm open to the possibility. You would think that an alert reporter, before writing that UConn isn't going to see another top ranked team for the rest of the season, and knowing that Geno tries to get as tough a schedule as possible, might just check the remaining games to see who they're playing and where the opponents are ranked before writing such a thing. The one thing I'm pretty sure of is that the Courant isn't paying her what they paid her predecessors. In this case, it shows.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Maybe she was focused on the 4 point win over the Central Michigan Chippewas and was making a statement. Have you looked at Jeff's preseason slate of patsies!

Reaction Score
Well, there's that. Still, they do hold that ranking, deserved or not, Now, if she were to tackle an article on whether various teams' rankings were deserved, that would be worth reading if done correctly. I'm not holding out much hope for it,

Reaction Score
I have attached a link to the Baylor new Tale of the tape for tonight’s matchup with the coaches. It’s actually a nice little piece with nice and respectful comments from Kim. Usually in all these coaches matchups, Kim credentials would overwhelm most of them, however in this rare situation, she is dwarfed by Geno’s accomplishments.
I infer from Geno’s comments this year and in past years, he respects Baylor and kinda sorta possibly likes Kim. She is a “Geno light” in her comments from time to time and I know she gets bashed on this forum from time to time (sometimes well deserved and sometimes not so much) but she has been a great coach and leader for WCBB more so than some others who have nationally prominent programs!
Tale of the tape: Kim vs. Geno
Enjoy...
This article seems like what Geno says about other teams. Rarely does he say anything negative about their opponents and gives credit where it’s due. He also refers to them by name and doesn’t call them ”the other team” :rolleyes:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom