Courant article on RJ Cole | The Boneyard

Courant article on RJ Cole

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Amore working his way through all the newcomers.

“He was the best player in New Jersey,” Bob Hurley said. “We beat every post grad team in New Jersey, all guys going to high majors, and RJ would go out and score 35, being guarded by guys who were going to a higher level than he was. He would just torch them. UConn is getting a really good player.”

Reaction Score
Fantastic article.

The most exciting thing about RJ, as Hurley said, is he's basically a complete player. He will have the opportunity to 1) maximize athleticism and 2) learn the "nuances" of the game over the next year. He is going to be a true leader in 2020 with or without Rique in our first NBE season.

And also continue to beat up on Gaffney and Bouknight in practice. Going up against a 24ppg d1 scorer every day in practice is a little bit better than Mike Noyes.

MEAC basketball isn't great. But 22/24ppg is what it is, and it's still D1 bball. His shooting will translate with some reps. Finishing at the rim will probably never be his strength if he couldn't do it there. But 3 points is better than 2, anyways, right?

Reaction Score
Fantastic article.

The most exciting thing about RJ, as Hurley said, is he's basically a complete player. He will have the opportunity to 1) maximize athleticism and 2) learn the "nuances" of the game over the next year. He is going to be a true leader in 2020 with or without Rique in our first NBE season.

And also continue to beat up on Gaffney and Bouknight in practice. Going up against a 24ppg d1 scorer every day in practice is a little bit better than Mike Noyes.

MEAC basketball isn't great. But 22/24ppg is what it is, and it's still D1 bball. His shooting will translate with some reps. Finishing at the rim will probably never be his strength if he couldn't do it there. But 3 points is better than 2, anyways, right?

4>1 not sure about 3>2.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Fantastic article.

Definitely feel a big problem the past 3-4 season was a lack of depth hurting player development in practice and in drills. I don't think the better players had anyone on the bench who could push them and force them to improve.

Reaction Score
This was a really good writeup. Most of the guard transfers we've brought in the last few years were decent pieces at their previous school, but we had to use some seriously optimistic imagination to envision them becoming great players for us (T. Smith, A. Anderson, S. Cassell).

I don't feel that way about RJ. Very easy to see him being instant points off the bench with occasional starting duties. Not only will he make our guards better by pushing them in practice but his maturity and ability will allow our coaching staff to allocate more of their attention on other positions.

Reaction Score
I didn't know much about St. Anthony's until Hurley was hired, but after a year with Tarin Smith and seeing what his leadership did for the team, I'm excited to see what Cole can provide off the court this year and on the court for the following two years. Very excited for him in 2020.

Reaction Score
I didn't know much about St. Anthony's until Hurley was hired, but after a year with Tarin Smith and seeing what his leadership did for the team, I'm excited to see what Cole can provide off the court this year and on the court for the following two years. Very excited for him in 2020.

If you’re interested, I’d recommend giving The Miracle of St. Anthony by Adrian Wojnarowski a read.

Reaction Score
Watch this series from Showtime, every episode is on YouTube. This episode is all about RJ..
Watch "Point Guard R.J. Cole Takes on Leadership | Part Two | Legacy: Bob Hurley" on YouTube

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The more good players you get the better the team is. This guy sounds like a baller.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I feel a bit aged when I see a poster on a northeast college basketball board say they aren't familiar with Bob Sr and St. Anthony and its impact on high school and college hoops.

Reaction Score
If you’re interested, I’d recommend giving The Miracle of St. Anthony by Adrian Wojnarowski a read.
Couldn't find the book at any of my local libraries, so just purchased it online. Thanks for the recommendation!

Reaction Score

The thing is though you see his highlights and he looks like a big time player. Like how in the world did he not end up at a major school till now?:confused:

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
The thing is though you see his highlights and he looks like a big time player. Like how in the world did he not end up at a major school till now?:confused:
Somewhere recently (it might have been this article) I read that he committed to Howard before he kind of blew up at St. Anthony’s, but he wanted to honor his commitment to Howard. He easily could’ve played at a better school, but he’s a good dude and Howard is a good school. But now he’s really ready for the big time.

Reaction Score
Somewhere recently (it might have been this article) I read that he committed to Howard before he kind of blew up at St. Anthony’s, but he wanted to honor his commitment to Howard. He easily could’ve played at a better school, but he’s a good dude and Howard is a good school. But now he’s really ready for the big time.
That makes sense. I definitely wasn't knocking Howard as that is a great school but obviously their bball program isnt a UConn. You see some guys at smaller schools hooping up but you can tell they wouldn't be able to do that at the highest level but this kid really jumps out at you when you see him play. He was just at another level than the other guys on the court with him. I cant wait to see him on the court.

Reaction Score
He had BU and Monmouth offers as well. Better schools, but he wasn't dumb enough to turn down a P6.

Reaction Score
Just finished reading the book today and wow, what a compelling book. Such a multi-dimensional book: not just about a great coach, but about hard work, parenting, gentrification, the confines of inner city life and how it breeds perpetuity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom