couple of small points | The Boneyard

couple of small points

Reaction Score
How many times last year would we only score 4 points in the first five minutes? It drove me nuts. Last night we had 13 points in the first five minutes. It was like heaven. After that we never trailed. Fast starts will really help this team. Really hope that we won't be taking the first five minutes off this year.

This is the quickest front line in a while. Whalley is very quick, Carlton and Williams are just a notch down. And Cobb moves well when you consider he is 280. If you consider Larrier and Polley front line guys, that adds to our quickness as well. I think we rebound better because these guys are so active.

Bonus point. Anderson is everything that we hoped Sam Cassel Jr would be. He is very savvy. He seems to have a natural understanding of the game. He has a a good handle. Knows where the open man is. He has a nice stroke from three. Is a good foul shooter. Not afraid of the big moments and taking and hitting important shots. On defense he has decent size and looks to be an adequate defender. Nothing against Sam But AA is the old soul, relaxed vet, that we expected from SC2.

Just one game against a team we should always beat. But nice to see.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Anderson is probably our best fourth guard since Craig Austrie.

Williams might be the most athletic player on the team but the rawest player by far. He's freshman KF 2.0 and will get spot playing time at best. Great weapon on full court press but lacks the bb IQ to understand position on offense and defense. With that caveat I think his learning curve will be quicker than Kentan's.

I really like Tyler's game. He could be the best all around defender on the team. He has a great handle for a big and he's supposed to have decent outside shooting.

Whalley reminds of very early Kentan on offense with a bb IQ on defense. We were all salivating with Kentan's offensive rebounding ability at the beginning of his freshman season but he was lost on defense. It took him four years to figure that end out. During the mini run last season Kentan was on fire but once teams understood this they double teamed him when he got the ball and he struggled to adjust. We'll see how he does against better competition. But kid knows how to box out and rebound.

Carlton understands the game and needs to get stronger. I already like his defense more than Steve. He's missed several shots close to the basket but you can tell he's going to get points when he get's stronger.

Cobb has the potential to be a great point forward. Would love to see him plant closer to the basket when he's getting the ball from the guards.

Reaction Score
I really, really liked what i saw out there. Polley in my very humble opinion looks like a stud! His talent really jumps out and when and if he gets it together this team is really going to take off. He reminds of a cross between Deandre (who was a non factor his first year and a half) and Tayshaun Prince.

Whalley is an interesting player. He seems like a pf stuck in a wings body lol! The kid gets in the post, blocks out, rebounds, tries to block anything he can get too and isnt afraid to bang around. Going to be very interesting to see how he develops as the year goes on.

Anderson is a god send! I feel completely comfortable with a Vital/Anderson backcourt when Adams/Gilbert need a breather. I think we are all set in the back court barring any unfortunate injuries.

Cobb is a load inside but is going to have trouble against bigger and more athletic bigs. Really needs to get the weight down and learn to position better in the post. Seems to at least be competent on defense and can set a screen.

Carlton is a freshmen but hes going to be good. Nice feet, good hands, can rebound and is a bit more athletic than i thought. Needs to get stronger obviously and when he does hes going to find it easier to do the things hes good at doing. doesnt seem to be much of a shot blocker.

A bit disappointed in Mo` but expect him to really be a nice piece that could crack the starting lineup eventually. Hes really active and pretty fluid offensively which is a plus as this team is going to have to score in the post if they want to play in March.

Terry has an NBA game. If that kid can only stay healthy and make good shot decisions he can be absolutely explosive. The kid has serious, serious game.

Overall im really excited about this teams potential. If guys stay healthy and develop i fully believe we can win 20 games easy. Im really excited about this team. The back court is set and should be really, really good. Larrier if healthy is an AA level player. The bigs are a work in progress but have shown some nice things and are not the projects that we`ve had the last few years. These kids could play and their development will be the key to the season.

Wordbomar

"Walker on McGee with four.."
Reaction Score
Any reason Diarra played only 7 minutes?

Colgate was small so had to rotate a lot of bigs when most of the game Larrier/Polley played the 4 spot

Reaction Score
One thing i Love about Carlton after watching him for a few games is that he never brings the ball down where little guys can grab it. Offensive and defensive rebounds stay at chest level or higher. His improvement will be incremental but i think he is going to be a very good player for us down the line.

Whalley will get out muscled by bigger and better teams right now but love how active he is.

Polley is long and a great fit for the front of that press. Smooth stroke too.

All these frosh will probably look overmatched at times but good to see flashes.

Too bad Wilson can’t play this year too. Add Akinjo, Matthews and Kisunas next year and KO has some talent to work with. Looking forward to Tuesday night!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chino323

Top Bottom