Countdown to Columbus: UConn v OSU (merged threads) | The Boneyard

Countdown to Columbus: UConn v OSU (merged threads)

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Doubleheader on Sunday, November 12 at Nationwide Arena, site of the 2018 Final Four: UConn vs Ohio State and Stanford vs Louisville. Ohio State opens up its season on Friday, November 10 against Stanford which will be Tara's first game in Columbus since leaving OSU after the 1985 season.

Buckeyes Set for Exciting Opening Weekend to 2017-18 Season

Reaction Score
Doubleheader on Sunday, November 12 at Nationwide Arena, site of the 2018 Final Four: UConn vs Ohio State and Stanford vs Louisville. Ohio State opens up its season on Friday, November 10 against Stanford which will be Tara's first game in Columbus since leaving OSU after the 1985 season.

Buckeyes Set for Exciting Opening Weekend to 2017-18 Season
Thanks for the post. I didn't realize that Tara VanDerveer started her career at OSU. She's had such success at Stanford that it seems she's always been there.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
This may very well be the season opener for UConn. We won't know for sure until the official schedule is released by the basketball office.
Last year, UConn's season began on November 14.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Thanks for the post. I didn't realize that Tara VanDerveer started her career at OSU. She's had such success at Stanford that it seems she's always been there.
Tara coached 2 years at Idaho and then 5 years at Ohio State. She's been at Stanford for 32 years, including the year she took off for USA Basketball. She started coaching at 25 and soon will be 64.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Ahhh... this makes me reminisce . . . . . about a good ol' fashioned ass-whuppin' not so long ago . . . . . . !!

Thanks, Mike. I just re-watched the game, for about the 4th time. Some observations based on the advantage of history:

Kia got Kelsey Mitchell into foul trouble in the first few minutes. Smart!

Gabby also got into early foul trouble, and Stewie picked up her 4th and had to sit.

Gabby's offense was still rough, but her rebounding and defense were stellar.

Watching the last two Defensive Players of the Year play together, at 5'7" and 5'11", was amazing.

How did Kia and Canada win the Pan Am Games? Any team with Stewie and Moriah should never lose.

Lou and Pheesa were still learning, but showed some good things. Lou grabbed some boards.

Courtney played in the second quarter, but Saniya didn't play until the fourth.

Nat was not available and still had a bandage on her hand.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
If this is the teams first game of the Season, which I think it is, then losing two consecutive game streak will be up for discussion as the game approaches. :)

Not saying UConn will lose this game, but it is a quality talented opponent where anything is possible.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
If this is the teams first game of the Season, which I think it is, then losing two consecutive game streak will be up for discussion as the game approaches. :)

Not saying UConn will lose this game, but it is a quality talented opponent where anything is possible.
I think it's far more likely that tOSU will be looking at a 3 game losing streak including their final game of this past season, plus Stanford and then UConn. The Buckeyes lost a number of key players, UConn is loaded and both Tara & Geno will outcoach McGuff.

One other element of the game which should be "must watch TV" is that UConn, with some legitimate frontcourt size next season,
will probably allow for NDPOY Gabby Williams to match up with Kelsey Mitchell.

Reaction Score
The Ohio State will have no depth next year..... probably only 7 or 8 players. This assumes Mavunga can stay healthy - Caretti is still there, she is not on the roster - and Holland cannot play.

They signed no one in 2017 - no assistant coach openings I guess.

The only reason they will be in the top 15 is they are in a weak conference

Reaction Score
How much fun will this season be for UCONN fans............This might be Geno's best team top to bottom........No weakness's......Have fun and stay healthy.......

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Thanks, Mike. I just re-watched the game, for about the 4th time. Some observations based on the advantage of history:

Kia got Kelsey Mitchell into foul trouble in the first few minutes. Smart!

Gabby also got into early foul trouble, and Stewie picked up her 4th and had to sit.

Gabby's offense was still rough, but her rebounding and defense were stellar.

Watching the last two Defensive Players of the Year play together, at 5'7" and 5'11", was amazing.

How did Kia and Canada win the Pan Am Games? Any team with Stewie and Moriah should never lose.

Lou and Pheesa were still learning, but showed some good things. Lou grabbed some boards.

Courtney played in the second quarter, but Saniya didn't play until the fourth.

Nat was not available and still had a bandage on her hand.

We broke their spirit in the 2nd quarter - and it was downhill (for them!) from that point :p

Gabby has improved her patience with the ball so much since that game - and her court vision / passing

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
The Ohio State will have no depth next year..... probably only 7 or 8 players. This assumes Mavunga can stay healthy - Caretti is still there, she is not on the roster - and Holland cannot play.

They signed no one in 2017 - no assistant coach openings I guess.

The only reason they will be in the top 15 is they are in a weak conference

What do you mean when you say "Caretti is still there, she is not on the roster" because I see her on OSU's roster.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
We broke their spirit in the 2nd quarter - and it was downhill (for them!) from that point :p

Gabby has improved her patience with the ball so much since that game - and her court vision / passing
Yes, I think we ended the half on a 24-6 run or something like that. Their body language and facial expressions on the bench in the second half were poor. Moriah was in the middle of that run.

Yeah, Gabby wasn't much of a passer then, but she was a defender and rebounder. When she and Mo trapped a Buckeye, good things happened for us.

One point I forgot to make in my prior post: that game showed the value of experience. It was very similar to the opening game at FSU, except the Huskies were calm and focused. Morgan was as cool as ever, and Moriah started the season as if she was thinking: "I'm in charge here and I'm not conceding the NPOY award to my good friend and teammate." She got so many steals in the passing lanes and uncontested layups that she demoralized the opposition for her entire career.

Huskie78

Husky fan stuck in South Bend
Reaction Score
I'm gonna do my best to make it to Columbus!
Gabby's senior season (gulp). Gotta make as many as I can.

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
This will be quite the weekend for me. Two of my favorite coaches and teams squaring off against my hometown team right in front of my eyes. It'll be a win/win for me regardless of the results!
Is it basketball season yet?

Reaction Score
This will be quite the weekend for me. Two of my favorite coaches and teams squaring off against my hometown team right in front of my eyes. It'll be a win/win for me regardless of the results!
Is it basketball season yet?
Hey, enjoy CBus13, sounds like a dream weekend!

Reaction Score
33 Caretti does not show up until you scroll down
I'm not sure what point your trying to make. Your not taking an extra second to scroll the list doesn't change the fact that she is and was on the roster when you looked at it.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure what point your trying to make. Your not taking an extra second to scroll the list doesn't change the fact that she is and was on the roster when you looked at it.

You cannot be serious. The Ohio State has a very small roster and that is a fact. And they signed no one, another fact.

Most web sites do not require scrolling to find a hidden player.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
You cannot be serious. The Ohio State has a very small roster and that is a fact. And they signed no one, another fact.

Most web sites do not require scrolling to find a hidden player.
a7e.jpg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom