Could this really be the end? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Could this really be the end?

Reaction Score
I can pretty much guarantee you that Geno is not reading these posts-Geno doesn't do crazy!

come on............... he must take a peek now and again just to have a laugh...........

Reaction Score
Absolutely amazing!!!!! We're doomed because a recruit committed to UT. I cannot put my amazement into words. It's beyond explanation. For those (or maybe it's just the one) who think it's "the end", does harikari mean anything to you?
I get it WE ARE DOOMED!! When Uconn gets to play U of T in 2020--We Are Doomed. Stacked, just stacked up with talent, and what does Uconn have to look forward to ??? Doomed, just Doomed.

Reaction Score
I can pretty much guarantee you that Geno is not reading these posts-Geno doesn't do crazy!

As past comments from Geno tend to indicate either he is reading or someone is reading the comments to him. Some commens I admit are general but once in a while he is more specific.
Admittedly, Geno has so much better things to do and so do we, but we ain't doing em.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I can think of two:
2015 - Megan Gustafson - ESPN #80
2016 - Ruthy Hebard - ESPN #40
Both are good/great players for their respective teams.
I could also add several more post players to the list but here is the thing: UCONN is extremely demanding of its post players. @BobbyJ just gave us the example of Natalie Butler and I think Hebard and Gustafson would fall in the same category-Good player for other teams-limited impact at UCONN. Another example that comes to mind is Kiah Stokes.

Reaction Score
As past comments from Geno tend to indicate either he is reading or someone is reading the comments to him. Some commens I admit are general but once in a while he is more specific.
Admittedly, Geno has so much better things to do and so do we, but we ain't doing em.

He definitely reads these posts. he has mentioned them before. He made a comment saying something like(don't quote me exact percentages) 20% of the people really know basketball and have a good idea whats going with the team and the other 80% are so clueless it is laughable.

Reaction Score
He definitely reads these posts. he has mentioned them before. He made a comment saying something like(don't quote me exact percentages) 20% of the people really know basketball and have a good idea whats going with the team and the other 80% are so clueless it is laughable.

Yeah..........................nice to be part of the 20%........................:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I could also add several more post players to the list but here is the thing: UCONN is extremely demanding of its post players. @BobbyJ just gave us the example of Natalie Butler and I think Hebard and Gustafson would fall in the same category-Good player for other teams-limited impact at UCONN. Another example that comes to mind is Kiah Stokes.

I absolutely agree with that. At UConn, as a post you have to be able to run the floor, rebound on both ends of the court, be a great help defender, be a floor general on defense calling out screens, you have to be able to move without the ball and not just set up on the blocks, be a great passer(especially from the high post), be a great screener, etc.

Reaction Score

I think Hebard would be pretty effective in UConn's system.............not an outside shooter but she's incredibly efficient within 12 feet of the basket and has thrived against excellent competition............

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I absolutely agree with that. At UConn, as a post you have to be able to run the floor, rebound on both ends of the court, be a great help defender, be a floor general on defense calling out screens, you have to be able to move without the ball and not just set up on the blocks, be a great passer(especially from the high post), be a great screener, etc.
Exactly. The only thing I would add, which was Kiah Stokes downfall, is a UCONN post has to be consistent offensive threat while on the floor.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I think Hebard would be pretty effective in UConn's system...not an outside shooter but she's incredibly efficient within 12 feet of the basket and has thrived against excellent competition..
Ruthie had 22 assist in 37 games for Oregon last year. That would simply not cut it in the UCONN offense. See @TitleTown post of what is required of a UCONN post.

Reaction Score
Exactly. The only thing I would add, which was Kiah Stokes downfall, is a UCONN post has to be consistent offensive threat while on the floor.

if I remember correctly she missed a bunch of sitters but perhaps the best shot blocker I've ever seen

Reaction Score
Ruthie had 22 assist in 37 games for Oregon last year. That would simply not cut it in the UCONN offense. See @TitleTown post of what is required of a UCONN post.

true but there's is a totally guard oriented offense where her sole function was to post up.............once she gets the ball it's not leaving her hands, it's going in the basket.........

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
true but there's is a totally guard oriented offense where her sole function was to post up...once she gets the ball it's not leaving her hands, it's going in the basket....

Right which is why I said she was a good/great player for that team. UCONN is not about that life where a player gets to only do the things she is good at.

Reaction Score
Right which is why I said she was a good/great player for that team. UCONN is not about that life where a player gets to only do the things she is good at.

well I know it's a moot point but just because she's not asked to pass doesn't mean she's not capable of doing it.............if Hebard transferred to UConn would you be unhappy? I'd be thrilled..............

Reaction Score
Geno is a great coach and would likely be happy to evolve his system as needed if it helped the team. Don't agree with the examples some give such as Butler (she came in with a broken thumb and couldn't hold onto the ball) and Stokes (totally shut down bigs of top teams as needed-solid pro). Give UConn a strong rebounder, good defender, solid offense inside paint - yes, Geno happy to make her into top draft choice and record more wins.

Reaction Score
Having followed the various responses I can see that the Thread is a bit deceptive- even though there is an incitement on the part of one or two set question marks about how the future might look.
Someone should post something on big-post players and Uconn. It is clearly at the center of what some people are diagnosing (with a strong conviction) as our problem in the past two years and us going forward. I would be interested in seeing a well fleshed out argument for this-- why are they not coming, and what would the difference be. After all, the last 2-years went well. The last 2- afinal4 games came down to desperation shots? individual play? game plan?
Why do we have to have a big to be competitive? What is missing?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Having followed the various responses I can see that the Thread is a bit deceptive- even though there is an incitement on the part of one or two set question marks about how the future might look.
Someone should post something on big-post players and Uconn. It is clearly at the center of what some people are diagnosing (with a strong conviction) as our problem in the past two years and us going forward. I would be interested in seeing a well fleshed out argument for this-- why are they not coming, and what would the difference be. After all, the last 2-years went well. The last 2- afinal4 games came down to desperation shots? individual play? game plan?
Keeping it simple. The primary reason UConn lost out on Wilson, Cox & C Collier was geography. They all decided to stay home. Sincerely hope Boston does the same.

Wilson’s final choice came down to UConn and SC. Had she decided on UConn, the Huskies would be coming off their 6th straight national championship.

Reaction Score
Clearly Geno has had enough of hearing "Is UConn bad for WCBB", now he's working on the remedy, let ND be bad for WCBB for awhile! :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Geno is a great coach and would likely be happy to evolve his system as needed if it helped the team. Don't agree with the examples some give such as Butler (she came in with a broken thumb and couldn't hold onto the ball) and Stokes (totally shut down bigs of top teams as needed-solid pro). Give UConn a strong rebounder, good defender, solid offense inside paint - yes, Geno happy to make her into top draft choice and record more wins.
His offensive and defensive philosophies are just one aspect of his overall basketball philosophy. Adapting his offense or defense in respect to the individual skills he has to work with was already incorporated with in that philosophy. A successful system transcends the individual skills of an player at any position. What made Uconn dominant for all these years was not totally dependent on any individual players skill set. No it was the total program dynamic that created consistently dominant teams. .

It would be interesting to explore the entire dynamic that created the Uconn dynasty in depth on a separate thread.

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Didn't Hebard have a stretch of games where she hit about 30 consecutive FGs? Who needs to pass the ball when you never miss? Her FG accuracy last season was along the line of Collier's soph season.

To answer my own question, she set a NCAA record w/ 33 made shots in a row. Think about that for a minute. Most of them were from point blank range, but contested, plus she had to get position deep in the post when every team knew exactly what she was trying to do, but couldn't stop her from doing it. Maybe she wouldn't totally suck if she played at UConn?

Reaction Score
Didn't Hebard have a stretch of games where she hit about 30 consecutive FGs? Who needs to pass the ball when you never miss? Her FG accuracy last season was along the line of Collier's soph season.

To answer my own question, she set a NCAA record w/ 33 made shots in a row. Think about that for a minute. Most of them were from point blank range, but contested, plus she had to get position deep in the post when every team knew exactly what she was trying to do, but couldn't stop her from doing it. Maybe she wouldn't totally suck if she played at UConn?

..........the idea of an almost automatic basket when you need one or the double team that such a player guarantees can work wonders in close games..........hopefully Ms Boston will remind us of that next year.......

Reaction Score
My assessment.... most replies about the impact of the lack of a quality big on the team are about offense . I believe the impact has been on the defense. UCONN has not had a shot blocker in the lane since Stewie. If you play a switching defense because your guards cannot stop penetration, you need a big plugging up the lane. The last two years losses were not due to last second shots as much as giving up too many points during the whole game.

Reaction Score
It all boils down to a matter of supply and demand. The supply of big girls was never that vast. When one adds the fact that the number of the type of players willing to put in the commitment and effort,required from Geno, has been decreasing, it makes it harder still. Also the increase of quality coaches in WCBB has resulted in the subsequent increase of quality programs for players to chose from. For a time it was a given that Geno had his choice of almost every player he wanted. Not only have the options increased for the players, but due to the changing attitude of women players, it decreased they the number of available players who would fit UConn standards. That being defined as players who bought into the system and were willing to give the effort that was required.

The present trend portends a change in the type of WCBB players available and that does not bode well for the continuation of a system that created consistency of excellence.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom