Could this playoff scenario play out? | The Boneyard

Could this playoff scenario play out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
While going through this weeks AAC schedule I noticed Houston BYU. At this point I will be rooting for BYU from here on out because I'd like to see them go undefeated and generate some non P5 buzz. Could a scenario play out that looks like this for the play off?

1) BYU undefeated
2) Notre Dame undefeated
3) SEC team
4) SEC team

Left out of the glory ACC, B1G, Big12, PAC12

Reaction Score
Well B1G looks done. Committee likely under pressure to spread it out rightly or wrongly but we'll see who else might run the table. ND unlikely but could spoil FSU's party. BYU will show us how they respond off a big win tonight. A chance to showcase with the stage pretty much to themselves. They certainly are looking at that spot but mired in 25th in the polls need their competition to win some games. Had Texas won that game big would they be ranked the same?

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Don't buy the ESPN hype that the BIG is done. Michigan is done, OSU might be done, MSU, Nebraska, PSU are certainly not done. If they run the table they are in.

If an non division winning SEC team can play for the title, an MSU team with one loss to Oregon certainly can.

I'll say it again, if there are two SEC teams with a combined one loss to the other, it says the rest of the conference can't be that great. They could be great teams individually, but great conferences have enough depth to knock off the top teams.

Two teams running through a conference schedule like a hot knife through butter is not the sign of a good conference.

So no, I do not see 5 of the top 10 teams hailing from the SEC, two maybe.

Reaction Score
Really depends. Nobody besides Georgia has looked like a world beater out of the SEC, either. If Alabama keeps playing like that, they won't be making it, so it depends how the B12/ACC shakes out. If Oklahoma or FSU run the table and nobody from the SEC does, it'll be hard to put in two SEC teams. Also doubt BYU gets in there regardless.

Reaction Score
Even if BYU goes undefeated, they will not be in the playoff.

Reaction Score

Unfortunately you're correct. An undefeated BYU would play in the new Miami Bowl at the Marlins park against an AAC team. What a buzzkill.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately you're correct. An undefeated BYU would play in the new Miami Bowl at the Marlins park against an AAC team. What a buzzkill.

That would result in a lot of chatter regarding the fairness of the system

Reaction Score

I might be wrong about that. I haven't quite figured out the new system yet. But it was my understanding that if BYU is bowl eligible and does not qualify for the playoff they are ticketed for the Miami gig.

Reaction Score
is BYU eligible for the G5 slot (not sure what you call the non-playoff bowls now).

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
1) BYU undefeated
2) Notre Dame undefeated
3) SEC team
4) SEC team
I like your thinking. I was selfishly trying to imagine what could happen that might impact us in some way, shape or form. I came to a similar conclusion. I would like to see ND take the ACC's top spot, thereby angering someone, like FSU. It might not affect us, but at minimum would make for some good reading on the CR board.

Reaction Score
While going through this weeks AAC schedule I noticed Houston BYU. At this point I will be rooting for BYU from here on out because I'd like to see them go undefeated and generate some non P5 buzz. Could a scenario play out that looks like this for the play off?

1) BYU undefeated
2) Notre Dame undefeated
3) SEC team
4) SEC team

ND finishes the year with 4 losses.

Reaction Score
the pundits keep talking about undefeated and 1 loss teams...
with a smaller pool those losses are now going to be on the P5. Parity is coming and it won't be long until we're talking about 2 and 3 loss teams in the playoff.

Reaction Score
BYU seems to be playing this season with their chip on one shoulder and our chip on the other.

Reaction Score
is BYU eligible for the G5 slot (not sure what you call the non-playoff bowls now).

Nope. My understanding is that if they don't qualify for one of the four playoff spots their only option is the post season bowl they directly contract with. It's the Miami Beach Bowl this year and the Poinsettia Bowl in 2016 and 2018. I don't think anything has been negotiated for 2015 and 2017. Not being in a conference (and not having Notre Dame's deals) forces them to negotiate a post season home every year. Although, if they do win 10 or more games this year, it will likely help their cause.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The Big 10 is going to have a hard team getting any non-undefeated team into the playoff, and all the teams that might go undefeated already have a loss. The Big 12 is in a tough spot too, with an 0-3 record against the P5. The Big 12's scheduling is going to lock it out of the playoffs this year. Half the conference's games have been against FCS opponents. When your league only plays 3 non-league games, you can't have 1 of them be an FCS.

I don't mean to be a buzzkill, but Louisville is really good and Florida State is beatable and will go to Louisville. A 12-1 Louisville team that has a "good" loss may have the SOS to make the playoff.

Reaction Score
They could win the rest of their games with a 99-0 score & it still wouldn't get them in.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
BYUs 8 pt win over Houston pretty much eliminated them.

Agree. Their schedule is just too thin. They needed probably 2 more decent P5 opponents instead of UNLV and Savannah State to have an argument.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Agree. Their schedule is just too thin. They needed probably 2 more decent P5 opponents instead of UNLV and Savannah State to have an argument.

That's the strange thing about being an independent not named Notre Dame.

Reaction Score
After the Houston win, BYU is the team most likely to go undefeated. Whether or not they'd go to the playoff is another story, but they are eligible in theory. They could also go to one of the three non-automatic BCS bowls (Fiesta, Peach, Cotton), though they couldn't get the automatic berth for the best Non-P5 team since they're not a conference champion. The champions of the Big 10, Pac 12, SEC, and Big 12 will all get at-large spots in the Fiesta, Peach, or Cotton this year if they do not go to to the playoff, but most likely at least three will (unless BYU makes the playoff in which case it's a non-issue as far as this discussion goes.) Once you account for the Group of 5 spot, that leaves four at-large spots in the BCS which would go to the four highest-ranked BCS teams who haven't yet qualified for a BCS Bowl. If BYU is undefeated, they could conceivably qualify. But if not, they'll go to the Miami Beach Bowl.

Reaction Score
How comical would it be to pit an unbeaten BYU against a 7-5 Memphis in the Miami Beach Bowl?

Reaction Score
After the Houston win, BYU is the team most likely to go undefeated. Whether or not they'd go to the playoff is another story, but they are eligible in theory. They could also go to one of the three non-automatic BCS bowls (Fiesta, Peach, Cotton), though they couldn't get the automatic berth for the best Non-P5 team since they're not a conference champion. The champions of the Big 10, Pac 12, SEC, and Big 12 will all get at-large spots in the Fiesta, Peach, or Cotton this year if they do not go to to the playoff, but most likely at least three will (unless BYU makes the playoff in which case it's a non-issue as far as this discussion goes.) Once you account for the Group of 5 spot, that leaves four at-large spots in the BCS which would go to the four highest-ranked BCS teams who haven't yet qualified for a BCS Bowl. If BYU is undefeated, they could conceivably qualify. But if not, they'll go to the Miami Beach Bowl.

BYU is not eligible for any of the CFP Contract Bowls. If they are bowl eligible their only option (aside from the 4-team playoff) is the Miami Beach Bowl.

Reaction Score
BYU is not eligible for any of the CFP Contract Bowls. If they are bowl eligible their only option (aside from the 4-team playoff) is the Miami Beach Bowl.

Not sure that is 100% accurate:

>>If bowl eligible, BYU will participate in the Miami Beach Bowl in December, unless selected to participate in the college football playoff or one of the New Year’s Eve or New Year’s Day bowl games.<< http://byucougars.com/m-football/byu-inks-deal-miami-beach-bowl

>>WHAT ABOUT BYU? - Under the new structure of the College Football Playoff and the associated bowls, there is not automatic way for BYU to be invited to the party. BYU is not eligible to be considered for the reserved spot among Group of Five champions, even if the Cougars are ranked and no Group of Five conference champion is ranked. BYU’s only way to gain a spot in the bowl rotation is to 1) be selected to play in the College Football Playoff as a semifinalist or 2) be selected as an at-large team in the remaining bowl spots that are open after conference champions and automatic bids are selected.<< http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsport...f-five-school-had-the-most-imrpessive-week-1/

They could in theory be invited to Fiesta, Cotton or Peach this year. Won't be easy but they are not boxed out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom