Could The Future Hold One Conference Structure For Football, Another For Other Sports? (Shatel- OWH) | The Boneyard

Could The Future Hold One Conference Structure For Football, Another For Other Sports? (Shatel- OWH)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Shatel: Could the future hold one conference structure for football, another for other sports?

"The future is a blank canvas. Here, let me grab my brush.

Let’s put Nebraska and Oklahoma in the same Big Ten West Division, the Ohio State-Michigan on the left coast of the Midwest football conglomerate.

Let’s throw Rock, Chalk, Jayhawk in the Big Ten, while we’re at it. Miss those trips to Lawrence, right?

How about Gonzaga joining the Big East? Yeah, the Zags are about as East Coast as, well, Omaha. Doesn’t matter.

Speaking of Creighton, I love what Athletic Director Bruce Rasmussen is doing with his imagination.

Call it the Rasmussen Plan. Call it brilliant, for a world without boundaries.

“Let’s have four 16-team regions for football,” Rasmussen said.

“You’ve got a Southeast region, Midwest, South and West. You have two eight-team divisions in each region. Have the networks bid on that 64-team setup, or the individual regions. The four regions have a playoff. It can be an eight-team playoff. All of the 64 teams share the money.”

What about basketball and the other sports?

“Now go back and have conference realignment, the way it was, before football money changed everything. Base the conferences on region, where your alums are, like missions, etc., for every sport.”"

Reaction Score
This would make more sense than what it is now. Just isn't gonna happen especially with conference networks needing that winter content.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Here's the thing, the have nots always have an idea as to how to fix the system that the haves think is working just fine.

I doubt the Big 10 and SEC are thinking "gosh, that's a great idea."

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
It is already happening in certain sports at UCONN. What league is Field Hockey in? Women's Lacrosse?? Track and Field are in the American but only get together for the tournament while playing a regional schedule. Tennis plays like 4 matches against AAC members. This is the way schools contain costs.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
This actually sounds a little like the idea I had in the El Paso thread. I do think now, more than ever, that the G5 conferences should merge, if for no other reason than to break up their stupid TV contracts. UConn's Tier 3 rights are probably worth 3-4x what they receive from the AAC TV package. Why on earth would we stay in this conference structure?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
This actually sounds a little like the idea I had in the El Paso thread. I do think now, more than ever, that the G5 conferences should merge, if for no other reason than to break up their stupid TV contracts. UConn's Tier 3 rights are probably worth 3-4x what they receive from the AAC TV package. Why on earth would we stay in this conference structure?

Because that isn't true for most of the G5 schools so they don't have a a reason to do it?

Call this one the Jedi Mind Trick approach.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Because that isn't true for most of the G5 schools so they don't have a a reason to do it?

Call this one the Jedi Mind Trick approach.

A) I don't know that is true for all or even most of the AAC. The AAC is mostly big city, big fan base, mid-majors.

B) It is another example of linear thinking killing UConn's athletic program.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom