Could PAC 12 have 3 teams in final four? | The Boneyard

Could PAC 12 have 3 teams in final four?

Reaction Score
Oregon, Oregon St and UCLA

Oregon St must beat LVille
UCLA must beat Ms State
Oregon must beat Cent Mich AND winner of ND/A&M

Reaction Score
If you just look at the polls from tonight's games on this site, both UCLA & OSU were only favored by 33%-35% of the voters. I'm guessing that because it is difficult for others not in PAC-12 states to actually watch PAC-12 games, that PAC-12 Teams are overlooked. Oh well, it seems to be working out OK so far. Still more games to play.

Reaction Score
If you just look at the polls from tonight's games on this site, both UCLA & OSU were only favored by 33%-35% of the voters. I'm guessing that because it is difficult for others not in PAC-12 states to actually watch PAC-12 games, that PAC-12 Teams are overlooked. Oh well, it seems to be working out OK so far. Still more games to play.
That’s a point well taken. I live in N. Cali and see all the PAC 12 games and am more impressed with them by far then the ACC who I watch because of my fair weather fan status w L’ville. Top to bottom ACC coaching doesn't compare to PAC 12. Best coaches in any conference. Call me a weirdo but I would watch Utah vs Colorado before a Florida State game.. I would have favored UCLA over Texas (due to Texas coach) but no way would I have thought Oregon State had a chance verse Baylor. As peculiar a coach as Mulkey is, I give her props for noting how impressed she was with Gulich. Gulich is special. Talk about player development. Holy smokes.
I admit I would root for L’ville against any PAC 12 team though

Last edited:
Reaction Score
That’s a point well taken. I would have favored UCLA over Texas (due to Texas coach) but no way would I think OREGON State had a chance verse Baylor. As weird of a coach as I think Mulkey is, I give her big props for not whining and noting how incredibly impressed she was with Gulich. Gulich is special. Talk about player development. Holy smokes.

And before Gulich it was Ruth Hamblin that improved by leaps and bounds during her career at Oregon State.

It will be interesting to see how 6'9" Andrea Aquino (ranked #7 by HG and #33 by PN) pans out for the Beavers. They also bring in a 6'7" girl from Southern California who might be a sleeper.

Reaction Score
And before Gulich it was Ruth Hamblin that improved by leaps and bounds during her career at Oregon State.

It will be interesting to see how 6'9" Andrea Aquino (ranked #7 by HG and #33 by PN) pans out for the Beavers. They also bring in a 6'7" girl from Southern California who might be a sleeper.
Great point on Aquino. A great get for the Beavers. Had forgotten about her and wasn’t aware of So Cal girl.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Oregon, Oregon St and UCLA

Oregon St must beat LVille
UCLA must beat Ms State
Oregon must beat Cent Mich AND winner of ND/A&M

I think Oregon and OSU will make it but UCLA will lose to MSU.

Reaction Score
Great point on Aquino. A great get for the Beavers. Had forgotten about her and wasn’t aware of So Cal girl.
Yes that Southern Cal girl might be a sleeper because she has not focused on basketball but that will change when she gets to Oregon St. Saw her play and she is raw but has quick feet. Has a big upside if she applies herself to basketball.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
If UCLA's guards can handle Miss St's pressure defense and have a good shooting day, they can beat Miss St. However, I think Miss St wins by double digits.

I don't see how Oregon St stays with Louisville. They're too slow and like last night's game against Stanford, Louisville will keep building their lead and win by 20+ points.

I may change my mind after watching today's Spokane Region Games, but as of right now, NO PAC 12 teams will make the Final Four.

However, next year PAC 12 could have two or more teams at the Final Four.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Unlikely, but all 3 have had a nice showing in the Tourney so far. Even if they get no teams in the Final 4 I think the Pac 12 has again acquitted itself well in post season.
They are doing quite well. The men, on the other hand, flamed out by losing to upstate NY schools.

Reaction Score
Probably not, as both Louisville and Mississippi State looked very good last night. The Ducks (and to a lesser extent UCLA if Jordan Canada stays hot) may have a shot at making it to Columbus. But I cannot forsee a scenario in which Oregon State beats Louisville. Jeff Waltz may well be headed to his third national championship game.

Reaction Score
Probably not, as both Louisville and Mississippi State looked very good last night. The Ducks (and to a lesser extent UCLA if Jordan Canada stays hot) may have a shot at making it to Columbus. But I cannot forsee a scenario in which Oregon State beats Louisville. Jeff Waltz may well be headed to his third national championship game.
Love it. So do the Beavers. Underdog role is much more fun.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I may change my mind after watching today's Spokane Region Games, but as of right now, NO PAC 12 teams will make the Final Four.

I like Oregon's chances against Notre Dame. That's of course presuming both win today.

Reaction Score
Big feather in the cap if Walz gets to the champ game. He can lose a third one to UConn but if it’s by 30 or 33 again he may not get a pass and begin to be looked at like the Buffalo Bills. Depends on the margin of defeat. That’s projecting.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
That’s a point well taken. I live in N. Cali and see all the PAC 12 games and am more impressed with them by far then the ACC who I watch because of my fair weather fan status w L’ville. Top to bottom ACC coaching doesn't compare to PAC 12. Best coaches in any conference. Call me a weirdo but I would watch Utah vs Colorado before a Florida State game.. I would have favored UCLA over Texas (due to Texas coach) but no way would I have thought Oregon State had a chance verse Baylor. As peculiar a coach as Mulkey is, I give her props for noting how impressed she was with Gulich. Gulich is special. Talk about player development. Holy smokes.
I admit I would root for L’ville against any PAC 12 team though
Yes they have done quite well, which was no surprise to me, as I am fortunate to get most of the PAC 12 games in NYC. I was shocked to see so many thought CMU would beat Oregon.
My thoughts are as follows as to which of the teams are least likely to most likely to get to the final four.
I think UCLA has a very minimal chance against MS. There's a significant coaching imbalance in this game with Vic vs Close. I find UCLA a very helter / skelter type of team. It won't be close with MS winning by twenty plus points.
I think OS has a little bit better chance of beating Louisville as I think in the last few years and especially this post season Rueck has had very good game plan and gets his players to execute it well. While I think Walz is a good coach with better players in this game and will likely win, I can though see an upset here.
I hate betting against Tara whose probably the 2nd best coach now and amongst the top three all time, I think the Oregon coach Graves may be the best of the up and comers. In this game Oregon actually has better talent. The big issue is the psychological / emotional hump they need to get through or over to actually beat a ND and Tara to get to the final four. They need to do this as they are have a very young but highly skilled team and in the next few years with what they have and are bringing in, can become a real threat to U Conn. I think they will beat ND but it could go the other way.
They likely at best will get one team in but might get shut out of FF, but it is a very strong conference, maybe the best in the country this year.
Bronx23

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yes they have done quite well, which was no surprise to me, as I am fortunate to get most of the PAC 12 games in NYC. I was shocked to see so many thought CMU would beat Oregon.
My thoughts are as follows as to which of the teams are least likely to most likely to get to the final four.
I think UCLA has a very minimal chance against MS. There's a significant coaching imbalance in this game with Vic vs Close. I find UCLA a very helter / skelter type of team. It won't be close with MS winning by twenty plus points.
I think OS has a little bit better chance of beating Louisville as I think in the last few years and especially this post season Rueck has had very good game plan and gets his players to execute it well. While I think Walz is a good coach with better players in this game and will likely win, I can though see an upset here.
I hate betting against Tara whose probably the 2nd best coach now and amongst the top three all time, I think the Oregon coach Graves may be the best of the up and comers. In this game Oregon actually has better talent. The big issue is the psychological / emotional hump they need to get through or over to actually beat a ND and Tara to get to the final four. They need to do this as they are have a very young but highly skilled team and in the next few years with what they have and are bringing in, can become a real threat to U Conn. I think they will beat ND but it could go the other way.
They likely at best will get one team in but might get shut out of FF, but it is a very strong conference, maybe the best in the country this year.
Bronx23
Bronx23
Great insight Bronx! I agree with all your points. I have UConn, Oregon, Louisville & MS. St....however I don't think Oregon is as big of a challenge to UConn. Oregon doesn't defend that well IMO. They rely heavily on Ionescu & Hebard. We've show well in shutting down teams that rely on 2 players. Ionescu does scare me bc she did have an efficient 15, 8 & 6 last year against us but Hebard was dominated by Pheesa & Gabby. I'm more worried about S. Carolina & their not shooters having the games of their lives.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
If the Pac 12 loses all 3 games this weekend they will finish 12-6 in the Dance. Thats a great result for any conference.
Here are all of the conference records(courtesy of a poster on Rebkell). I believe these are thru yesterdays reults.

Pac 12 12-3 .800--missing is USC
AAC 3-1 .750
ACC 12-6 .667
SEC 10-5 .667
MAC 4-2 .667
Big 12 5-4 .556
Big East 4-4 .500
ASun 1-1 .500
MAAC 1-1 .500
Big 10 4-6 .400
A10 0-2 .000--Anyone still feels Dayton should have made it after losing by 20 to Marquette in rnd 1?
21 Others 0-1 .000

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Great insight Bronx! I agree with all your points. I have UConn, Oregon, Louisville & MS. St....however I don't think Oregon is as big of a challenge to UConn. Oregon doesn't defend that well IMO. They rely heavily on Ionescu & Hebard. We've show well in shutting down teams that rely on 2 players. Ionescu does scare me bc she did have an efficient 15, 8 & 6 last year against us but Hebard was dominated by Pheesa & Gabby. I'm more worried about S. Carolina & their not shooters having the games of their lives.
Point on Oregon not defending well is true. Earlier this year L’ville had no difficulty with Oregon and lame defense was the reason. Graves took the game in stride like he was expecting it. They didn’t have that urgency and fight I see in them now. Oregon is playing much better since then . Weird game. Oregon had no zip or energy. Same thing in there game earlier that week in a win vs A&M. A&M looked dead in that game too. Oregon different team now.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom