Could Ollie's NBA experience actually be hurting him? | The Boneyard

Could Ollie's NBA experience actually be hurting him?

Reaction Score
It seems that a common complaint of the players that have left is that Ollie would not provide a role or path for the players if they stayed at UConn. I was talking with a fellow fan and he wondered if Ollie's 13 years in the NBA the way his career went was a disservice. We talked about all of his contracts were 10 day or 1 year contracts and nothing was ever guaranteed for him the following year. Does this experience prevent him from promising minutes or future roles to his players since he had to compete every year just to get the contract.

Reaction Score
It seems that a common complaint of the players that have left is that Ollie would not provide a role or path for the players if they stayed at UConn. I was talking with a fellow fan and he wondered if Ollie's 13 years in the NBA the way his career went was a disservice. We talked about all of his contracts were 10 day or 1 year contracts and nothing was ever guaranteed for him the following year. Does this experience prevent him from promising minutes or future roles to his players since he had to compete every year just to get the contract.
Calhoun never promised anything either. You had to work hard in practice and earn your time.

Reaction Score
Well if this is one of Ollie's faults then it's number 63 on the list of things of why the program is where it is.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
it might be from the standpoint that he wants to run systems more like the NBA, that hasn't be working for us the last couple of years

maybe he just needs better ball handlers, maybe

or maybe he needs to be more flexible, one thing is certain, something has to change and I'm hoping better handle and better shooting is the solution

Horatio

15 years no Madden
Reaction Score
I think he's just to nice to these kids. Our program was built by a Tall snarling, disgruntled yeller that approached the game like a football coach. Young men need that sometimes.

Reaction Score
I will tell you one thing he's doing that is hurting us based on NBA roots that I initially thought was the right idea but have since come around on. Eschewing offensive rebounds against small teams in favor of getting back. This has become the standard tactic in the NBA, but this is one area where the games appear to be different. If you have an advantage on the boards, you need to hit it hard with 2-3 guys. NCAA teams can't punish you as hard in transition (they commit more turnovers, miss more layups and open 3's, etc.).

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I think he's just to nice to these kids. Our program was built by a Tall snarling, disgruntled yeller that approached the game like a football coach. Young men need that sometimes.

Very far from the truth.

Reaction Score
Word is he had another meltdown in the locker room after the Cincy game going after players.

Horatio

15 years no Madden
Reaction Score
So which is it - too nice or goes off on players too much. You contradict yourself

I meant the incident is "too bad" meaning
Unfortunate. My Calhoun point in comparison was a bit of an exaggeration but
I do remember the handling of things during games as soon as it happened. It varied from quick hooks to confronting the issue during games.

Reaction Score
I meant the incident is "too bad" meaning
Unfortunate. My Calhoun point in comparison was a bit of an exaggeration but
I do remember the handling of things during games as soon as it happened. It varied from quick hooks to confronting the issue during games.
I also remember players commenting on halftime and end of game tirades from JC.
Alot of today's players are so coddled from a young age they won't put up with that anymore. They expect to show up and play or their parents expect that. Vance a case in point. Father started complaining in December anout playing time.

Horatio

15 years no Madden
Reaction Score
Alot of today's players are so coddled from a young age they won't put up with that anymore. They expect to show up and play or their parents expect that. Vance a case in point. Father started complaining in December anout playing time.
It's tough because at the end of the day, tough coaching won't help most of are issues. Some kids just don't have the skills
So it actually becomes useless. As a former college athlete I was cool with tough coaching. "Tough" accountability also comes
From upperclassmen on good teams and we
Don't seem to have that.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
I mentioned something similar in another thread. It might be he is too soft and became a friend. No way with JC. Many times over the JC years I wondered, how can these kids play under those conditions. Constant yelling, often it looked like JC was foaming with anger. Stepping out at mid court to personally yanking a player off the court. These players stayed. Many of them it paid off. Now it looks like another day at the office. Maybe these kids lost their way now. Every player has NBA aspirations.
Doesn't look like they are playing like it.

C

Chief00

I remember JC had late night practices occasionally after returning home from a road loss. One of those was the turning point for Jake, according to his Dad. He certainly had some halftime tirades. I could be wrong, but I don’t recall the end of game tirades. After a loss drop a pin silence yes; battle with the media yes. Legend has it, he threw a chair at Cliff in his first office meeting with him, yes.
He was masterful on his timing, with KO it comes out when it does - it doesn’t appear to be motivationally timed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I mentioned something similar in another thread. It might be he is too soft and became a friend. No way with JC. Many times over the JC years I wondered, how can these kids play under those conditions. Constant yelling, often it looked like JC was foaming with anger. Stepping out at mid court to personally yanking a player off the court. These players stayed. Many of them it paid off. Now it looks like another day at the office. Maybe these kids lost their way now. Every player has NBA aspirations.
Doesn't look like they are playing like it.

Again, that’s not what people who have earpieces inside the locker room are saying.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom