Could MTSU make a bid to leave for AAC? | The Boneyard

Could MTSU make a bid to leave for AAC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Middle Tennessee pros/cons of joining the AAC are discussed here:

Could MTSU make a bid to leave for AAC?

Article talks about CUSA schools likely wanting out since the new contract is so low. Realistically, most of these schools have nowhere else to go but CUSA.

Reaction Score
xv883.jpg

Reaction Score
UCONN really need to get out of this conference. The fact we are discussing MTSU being in the same conference as us shows how far we have fallen.

Reaction Score
Some time ago I was criticized for suggesting Mass as an addition to the American believing it could be a nice rival for UConn.

UMass is many times a better selection than mighty MTSU.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Some time ago I was criticized for suggesting Mass as an addition to the American believing it could be a nice rival for UConn.

UMass is many times a better selection than mighty MTSU.
Letting UMass in the AAC would be legitimizing their program. That is the last thing we want them to do. It's an eat or be eaten world. We're better off if there are only 2 NE FBS schools (sorry UMass).

Reaction Score
Article talks about CUSA schools likely wanting out since the new contract is so low.

Hilarious.
Newsflash: EVERY school (with the exception of the BiG, SEC, PAC schools) wants out of its current conference if a better conference were willing to offer. That was true long before and long after, the CUSA contract.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Letting UMass in the AAC would be legitimizing their program. That is the last thing we want them to do. It's an eat or be eaten world. We're better off if there are only 2 NE FBS schools (sorry UMass).

Not that I disagree with you but its hilarious to see UConn fans say this when this is exactly what BC did to us and we got furious over it

And nobody is realistically joining the American unless the AAC can convince any of Army/Air Force/Boise/BYU to join. All these other articles are just filler

Reaction Score
I still don't understand how a UConn fan can take this stance when this is literally what so many schools did to us.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
I still don't understand how a UConn fan can take this stance when this is literally what so many schools did to us.
It's life: when you're getting picked on by a bigger kid, you go beat on a smaller kid later to make yourself feel good.

Reaction Score
Spoken like true BCU Fan

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score

You can't?

We hate it, but look how it's worked out for them. BC is about as irrelevant an athletic department there is and yet, there they are, making ACC P5 money while offering, I'm being kind, mediocre ACC sports (their best sport belongs in Hockey East). Syracuse football dropped towards the bottom of the Big East football standings like a dead weight as soon as UConn entered the picture. After they left, they started winning enough to make it back to bowl games before going back to their recent losing ways...probably because the whistle blew on their cheating scams.

Both BC and Syracuse offer very little to any Power conference going forward and they know as well as anyone that the more large, public schools they have to compete against hurts them. If the ACC was interested in giving both a bump, they would add UConn and give them a r1valry game that this area (that has New York, Boston and Hartford in it) will get excited about. But until the ACC, as a conference, insists on helping their northeast members out and promote its brand in the area by adding UConn, I would expect to see both continuing to campaign against UConn to "protect turf".

Now flip it to UMass/AAC for a second. How many UConn fans are really going to get all jazzed up to watch UConn/UMass football up in Amherst or Foxboro? We will have a hard enough time convincing UConn fans to drive to East Hartford to watch these games, so forget about asking them to tack on an additional hour of driving time. I'll go. And probably many of us Boneyarders will go too. But we won't come close to selling out Gillette for a game against UMass. The school is having very public discussions about its football program's viability and its basketball program has been, I'm being kind again, hot garbage after The Squid left. So why should UConn fans want to promote them to our AAC level? What happens if UMass catches a bit of fire in the following years and leapfrogs UConn in expansion talks because their football team won 10 games while ours won 8? UConn fans, including me, would lose their . I lose my when I see the schools that are being talked about today being ahead of UConn in the pecking order. If I ever read something from anybody anywhere that suggested that UMass would be a better add for the B1G/ACC than UConn, then I would give up sports altogether. Move to a deserted island, develop my own monetary systems using seashells and empty boat drink glasses, grow a Cast Away beard, and tap out.

I can completely understand why many UConn fans want to protect this pile of garbage turf we reside on. The last thing any of us want is for another northeast school to draw the Jim Delany's or Bob Bowlsby's or John Swofford's eye away from us. . This CR nonsense is eat or be eaten. Stab your friend in the back after shaking his hand. Bat flip and watch your HR for hours. Self promote self promote self promote (while taking a dump on your conference "friends"). After we find our P5 home, then I'll all for UMass taking our AAC spot. But until then, F them and everyone else.

Reaction Score
These are totally different issues. BC needs something to excite the area and their region. A rivalry with UConn could do that. UConn has played at the BCS level and has competed at that level and at a much higher level in other sports. We are not inferior to BC in any way.

UMass is not even close to on par with UConn or any other school currently in the AAC. It would be mind boggling to invite UMass unless UConn leaves.

Reaction Score
The largest income stream for a G5 conference is Bowl/Playoff money.
UMass or should I say the state of Mass has never really made the effort to become FBS and unless they join a conference they will probably either drop football or go back to FCS.
They choose to keep their basketball program in the A10 instead of maintaining MAC membership.
They can be G5 (which is exactly what we are )if they wanted
How can UMass be serious about joining a football conference when basketball is the only sport they want to preserve. Sounds familiar.
If UConn hasn't in the past and still continues to place a high emphasis on football than we really shouldn't gripe about exclusion. It seems the folks at Mass want it both ways.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
These are totally different issues. BC needs something to excite the area and their region. A rivalry with UConn could do that. UConn has played at the BCS level and has competed at that level and at a much higher level in other sports. We are not inferior to BC in any way.

UMass is not even close to on par with UConn or any other school currently in the AAC. It would be mind boggling to invite UMass unless UConn leaves.

But that isn't how either of those schools see themselves. Just as other schools don't see UConn as we see UConn.

Reaction Score
BC doesn't think they are above us. They really don't. They know we are a peer, they just have a longer football tradition.

UMass just isn't close to us. How could you quantify them being anywhere near us?

If we insisted we were the equal of tons of P5 schools we'd have a great resume to prove it. UMass would couldn't show squat to compare with us and honestly, BC would struggle to show they have kept up with us too. They have had better football for a longer time but that would have trouble standing up to UConn's total body of work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom