OT: - Could be OT but sports with implications for UCONN | The Boneyard

OT: Could be OT but sports with implications for UCONN

Reaction Score
Yesterday, some speculation surfaced about expansion to 16 teams for Big 10. Two divisions of eight teams each; one comprised of the 8 teams currently in the EST zone and the other division in mid-west. Possible additions mentioned were Oklahoma and, perhaps more surprisingly, Kansas on the strength of a recently announced HUGE new football stadium plan. Implications for UCONN?

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
What source(s)? By my calculation, there are only seven B10 teams currently in the ETZ...Rutgers, Maryland, Penn State, Ohio State, Indiana, Michigan and Michigan State. They'd have to add an ETZ school to get to eight. Adding Oklahoma and Kansas would put eight teams in the CTZ, but Oklahoma isn't likely going anywhere without Oklahoma State going with them.

That does comport with the supposed present model going forward that eventually there will be four 16-team conferences which will comprise the power schools, and they may eventually break away from the NCAA or form their own division within it. Everybody left behind will be in a lesser division or completely separated from the 64 schools in the four major conferences. If UConn is one of those left behind we'll be playing for lesser championships in the leftovers category, whatever it may be called.

Reaction Score
What source(s)? By my calculation, there are only seven B10 teams currently in the ETZ...Rutgers, Maryland, Penn State, Ohio State, Indiana, Michigan and Michigan State. They'd have to add an ETZ school to get to eight. Adding Oklahoma and Kansas would put eight teams in the CTZ, but Oklahoma isn't likely going anywhere without Oklahoma State going with them.

That does comport with the supposed present model going forward that eventually there will be four 16-team conferences which will comprise the power schools, and they may eventually break away from the NCAA or form their own division within it. Everybody left behind will be in a lesser division or completely separated from the 64 schools in the four major conferences. If UConn is one of those left behind we'll be playing for lesser championships in the leftovers category, whatever it may be called.
Purdue is #8. They won't need UConn if they add OU and KU, neither of which will have an eady time leaving the Big12.

Reaction Score

As an Soon and Cowboy fan--the Bedlam series shall continue --no matter what league each may find the other in. That does comport with the supposed present model going forward
I have read it a few time and looked up comport (no word found only Comportment meaning behavior)--if I inject behavior --it makes no sense. Now some dizzy announcer loved to throw that out against women players---is that the source?? Maybe my browser is stuck in 1969---
Thanks .
d

Reaction Score
NICK: no recollection of the exact source, but can say that it was reputable and that it made it clear that this evolution, if undertaken, would be some years down the road.

By taking a very careful look at an array of variables (geographic, TV markets, and such) that have gone into the league's evolution to date, the case for possible inclusion of Oklahoma as a future member was rather compelling.

The speculation re Kansas was primarily due to both the supposed massive infusion of stadium funds and to location. Wish I could tell you more, but that's best I can do.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
As an Soon and Cowboy fan--the Bedlam series shall continue --no matter what league each may find the other in. That does comport with the supposed present model going forward
I have read it a few time and looked up comport (no word found only Comportment meaning behavior)--if I inject behavior --it makes no sense. Now some dizzy announcer loved to throw that out against women players---is that the source?? Maybe my browser is stuck in 1969---
Thanks .
d

Comport -- from M-W.com: conduct oneself; behave.

Comport -- Dictionary.com: to bear or conduct (oneself); behave

Etymology -- dates to late 14th century.

Reaction Score
UCONN 68: thanks for putting my Boilermakers back in there; hopefully they will one day return to their former QBU status strecthing all the way back to Lenny Dawson.

These days, I can understand why NICK forgot them when discussing football, though, as I recall, they used to do funny stuff re their time zone also ( to Nick's basic point) out that way -- might have had to do with some parts of the state going to daylight savings and others not. Can't recall.

Reaction Score
Yesterday, some speculation surfaced about expansion to 16 teams for Big 10. Two divisions of eight teams each; one comprised of the 8 teams currently in the EST zone and the other division in mid-west. Possible additions mentioned were Oklahoma and, perhaps more surprisingly, Kansas on the strength of a recently announced HUGE new football stadium plan. Implications for UConn?
What source(s)?.
Bottom of this article: If Big Ten expands again in a few years, keep an eye on Kansas and Oklahoma

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Lordy, I hate this conference reshuffling. KU and OU out of the Big 8/12 makes about as much sense as Marylsnd out of the ACC. And can't any of the conference brass count?

Reaction Score
If Oklahoma and Kansas were to move to the Big10 then that would open up two spots in the Big12. Hmmm.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr. Cam

Top Bottom