Costly penalties hurt Huskies last year | The Boneyard

Costly penalties hurt Huskies last year

Reaction Score
Just watching some of last year's stuff. Bad penalties at worst times really hurt us. Some of this falls on the coaching staff. Some on the players. These is a lack of focus that really hurts.

UCF. They take the opening kickoff. The defense stops them for a three and out. On the punt Anthony Watkins jumps offside for no reason and gives UCF a first down. They then get moving and score a TD.

UCF. Our first drive after the TD. Great drive. First and goal inside the five. On second down Tommy Meyers jumps offside. We settle for three.

BCU. We open with a penalty on the kickoff. Start the offense on our own 6-yard line. Great drive we move into BCU territory. On third and 14, we convert with a first down to the BCU 20. Oops, penalty on Peart moves us back to third and 24. We kick a long FG.

This are just a few examples of us shooting ourselves in the foot. That's how 3-9 happens. It wasn't just the talent. It was the performance. And the coaching staff has to share the blame with the kids.

If we are to improve this year, it's not just the players who have to get better.

Reaction Score
Just watching some of last year's stuff. Bad penalties at worst times really hurt us. Some of this falls on the coaching staff. Some on the players. These is a lack of focus that really hurts.

UCF. They take the opening kickoff. The defense stops them for a three and out. On the punt Anthony Watkins jumps offside for no reason and gives UCF a first down. They then get moving and score a TD.

UCF. Our first drive after the TD. Great drive. First and goal inside the five. On second down Tommy Meyers jumps offside. We settle for three.

BCU. We open with a penalty on the kickoff. Start the offense on our own 6-yard line. Great drive we move into BCU territory. On third and 14, we convert with a first down to the BCU 20. Oops, penalty on Peart moves us back to third and 24. We kick a long FG.

This are just a few examples of us shooting ourselves in the foot. That's how 3-9 happens. It wasn't just the talent. It was the performance. And the coaching staff has to share the blame with the kids.

If we are to improve this year, it's not just the players who have to get better.

Not sure how you declare any of that coaching problems

Reaction Score

Execution.jpg

Reaction Score
If it were an infrequent problem it would be on the players. If it is a consistent problem then it reflects on the coaching. That's how I can declare it, it happened constantly.

Reaction Score

You left out the Cincinnati debacle.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Constantly in high leverage situations.

Double Check. Double Mate.
I'd argue that it happening during high leverage situations is a maturity issue and not a coaching issue.

Reaction Score
Coaches set expectations, but player accountability is what makes football such a great game. It's what makes it the best teacher of life lessons. Every player must have his "head in the game". One player jumping off-sides or making a false start can ruin another players huge gain or touchdown pass--and in the process hurt the entire team. False start penalties are a result of poor focus. Off-sides are a result of over-anticipation. Some are a product of poor execution. All the rest are judgment calls. Cut down on untimely penalties like the ones Palatine highlighted and win the turnover margin and we could surprise this year.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Bad teams commit a lot of penalties. Film at 11.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Coaches set expectations, but player accountability is what makes football such a great game. It's what makes it the best teacher of life lessons. Every player must have his "head in the game". One player jumping off-sides or making a false start can ruin another players huge gain or touchdown pass--and in the process hurt the entire team. False start penalties are a result of poor focus. Off-sides are a result of over-anticipation. Some are a product of poor execution. All the rest are judgment calls. Cut down on untimely penalties like the ones Palatine highlighted and win the turnover margin and we could surprise this year.

Please share clips of when false starts brought back big gains.

I think if UConn has a positive touchdown margin this year the record will improve.

I would propose that life teaches life lessons better than a holding penalty - but I’m probably out on a limb there.

Reaction Score
I remember a Connecticut kid, running back, full back, in I believe Diaco's first game coached for UConn, fumbled the ball away on the very first offensive play of the season. I thought to myself "God, this team has such a huge mountain to climb and such crappy Kharma". And... during the P years and Diaco years saw so many times when the team shot itself in the foot in the absolute worst times where if that snafu didn't happen the outcome of the game might have been quite different. One momentum kiiling screw up after another. Hopefully Edsall changes all that and the ball starts to bounce in UConn's favor finally.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I remember a Connecticut kid, running back, full back, in I believe Diaco's first game coached for UConn, fumbled the ball away on the very first offensive play of the season. I thought to myself "God, this team has such a huge mountain to climb and such crappy Kharma". And... during the P years and Diaco years saw so many times when the team shot itself in the foot in the absolute worst times where if that snafu didn't happen the outcome of the game might have been quite different. One momentum kiiling screw up after another. Hopefully Edsall changes all that and the ball starts to bounce in UConn's favor finally.

Candidly... this is crazy talk. Good teams commit penalties and turn the ball over.

1st and 15 just isn’t a big deal. Getting the ball back or scoring on consecutive drives just isn’t a big deal.

A first quarter fumble seems like an important moment when you are outclassed. BYU was going to win that game even without the fumble.

Reaction Score
Candidly... this is crazy talk. Good teams commit penalties and turn the ball over.

1st and 15 just isn’t a big deal. Getting the ball back or scoring on consecutive drives just isn’t a big deal.

A first quarter fumble seems like an important moment when you are outclassed. BYU was going to win that game even without the fumble.

Wasn't that fumble from Max returned for a touchdown against Boise? The more depth you have the more you can make changes to get players that won't screw up as much. We have depth on offense this year.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Wasn't that fumble from Max returned for a touchdown against Boise? The more depth you have the more you can make changes to get players that won't screw up as much. We have depth on offense this year.

DeLorenzo fumbled on their first offensive play of the year after a decent gain and BYU scored on the next play to go up 14-0.

There isn’t any depth on this offense that has done anything in an actual football game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom