Corruption/incompetence | The Boneyard

Corruption/incompetence

Reaction Score
That's the only way you explain Syracuse getting in. It's the only way you explain St. Mary's not getting in. USC somehow falls short. Texas and Oklahoma don't even have to pass the Dayton clearinghouse. The #1 overall seed stares at Kentucky/Arizona in the sweet sixteen.

I don't even really hate Syracuse that much anymore. I root for them to lose, but it's mostly apathy. It's not apathy when year after year people prioritize subjective measurements over objective ones. There were two programs in Syracuse's conference alone that belonged in before them.

I get that you can go through and contest the selections regardless of who picks the field or what year it is. But that's the point. When somebody asks why Syracuse is in the field, somebody on the committee is going to mutter something about their strength of victories in quadrant two away from home and nobody will bother to ask anything more because the tournament makes a lot of money.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Wow a corruption/incompetence thread and KO is not even mentioned!!!!

I agree totally with you about the Syracuse issue
The one that leaves me shaking my head is Oklahoma over Oklahoma State - OSU beat Oklahoma twice, Kansas, FSU, West Virginia. Oklahoma has won 2 games since January! What has me worried most is that Dickie V agrees with me!

Reaction Score
That's the only way you explain Syracuse getting in. It's the only way you explain St. Mary's not getting in. USC somehow falls short. Texas and Oklahoma don't even have to pass the Dayton clearinghouse. The #1 overall seed stares at Kentucky/Arizona in the sweet sixteen.

I don't even really hate Syracuse that much anymore. I root for them to lose, but it's mostly apathy. It's not apathy when year after year people prioritize subjective measurements over objective ones. There were two programs in Syracuse's conference alone that belonged in before them.

I get that you can go through and contest the selections regardless of who picks the field or what year it is. But that's the point. When somebody asks why Syracuse is in the field, somebody on the committee is going to mutter something about their strength of victories in quadrant two away from home and nobody will bother to ask anything more because the tournament makes a lot of money.
Syracuse had strong metrics relative to the rest of the bubble teams. RPI, SOS, Non-conf SOS, you name it. I think the quadrant system is a joke, so I'm not sure what their numbers are with that. Who do you think deserved in over Syracuse?

Reaction Score
This bracket is probably the worst I have seen. Oklahoma, cuse, bama, texas, asu in over ok state, Usc, st Mary's, middle Tenn st, and ndame is just nuts.

10 loss unc a 2 seed?

Cuse could get 6 seed tcu (easy) in round 2..ugh

Reaction Score
How does Syracuse get in over Louisville but Notre Dame doesn't get in over Syracuse? What a joke.

Reaction Score
Syracuse had strong metrics relative to the rest of the bubble teams. RPI, SOS, Non-conf SOS, you name it. I think the quadrant system is a joke, so I'm not sure what their numbers are with that. Who do you think deserved in over Syracuse?
I'll give Cuse some credit for actually playing Bona. Losing that game didn't hurt them. I read where URI offered a home and away to St. Mary's, and were turned down. If that's true, then with their weak ooc schedule, they deserved to be snubbed.

Reaction Score
Syracuse had a solid non-conference schedule going into the year:
  • Kansas
  • St. Bonaventure
  • UConn
  • Maryland
  • Buffalo
  • Iona
  • Georgetown

Reaction Score
Syracuse had a solid non-conference schedule going into the year:
  • Kansas
  • St. Bonaventure
  • UConn
  • Maryland
  • Buffalo
  • Iona
  • Georgetown
Cuse was always famous for playing slop ooc. That's a solid ooc schedule for a good P5 program, so while I don't love them, I can't get mad that it paid off. Too many P5 schools play no one ooc, and then try to lean on the "hard conference schedule" excuse. If two P5s are on the bubble, and one challenged themselves ooc while the other didn't, I have no problem seeing that used as a sort of tie breaker. As far as St. Mary's is concerned, they need to get a clue. A team in a league like that can't play nothing but slop ooc. Is it fair that UCLA and Zona won't come to them, of course not, but they have to deal with it. The idea that they didn't want to play URI is ludicrous, and if true, they deserve what they got.

Reaction Score

SOS is already built into RPI, no? The problem I have is the redundancy of the metrics being used more so than the actual metric. We all agree that RPI is very flawed, yet I'm almost more content to tweak that formula and treat it as the gospel than I am to live with the current system.

I can understand how one could subjectively come to the conclusion that Syracuse belongs in over St. Mary's. The Gaels have a very weak OOC resume and obviously play in a conference where it can be easier to rack up victories and game the system a bit.

But then again they're 28th on KenPom - 27 slots ahead of Syracuse and the highest ranking of all teams that did not make the tournament - and 42nd in RPI (ahead of a handful of teams that got in over them). There has to be consistency, and if that means Syracuse gets in, fine, but when a lot of people who are trained to do this have Syracuse out, that's telling.

Reaction Score
10 loss unc a 2 seed?

UNC played 22 Quadrant 1 games. Next highest in the entire country played 17. A truly absurd schedule. And won 63% of them, 14-8, which is the 5th best win% of teams with more than 10 Q1 games played.

I thought they had an argument as a 1 seed, to be honest. Xavier went 5-4 against Q1 (and is 14 in KenPom).

Reaction Score
No NIT for those two? For real? Wow. I thought they were solid 4 or 5 seeds!!

I would think that if Temple got in, perhaps they rejected a bid like Georgia would have? Odd.

Reaction Score
the only team that deserved being left out was saint mary's. the rejection of playing URI was what made it for me. you fail to challenge your basketball team and try to make a 28-5 or whatever record they got seem impressive when they're all against colleges like the university of phoenix online and the one magic win vs gonzaga.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom