Core Four Addendum

Discussion in 'UConn Women's Basketball' started by divots, Jan 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. divots

divots

Maybe I'm alone in my thought but I believe that Saniya has clearly earned her stripes and Core Four inclusion to the point that a new pseudonym be considered that would encompass all five starters....Michigan had their Fab Five in 1991 and the 2012 USA Gymnastics team called themselves the Fierce Five....I post this idea without much consideration of an appropriate nickname choice....Jive Five has potential depending on how one chooses to define the word "jive' which ranges from "lively & fast" or "consistent"or "cool & exciting" to "portraying the rhthym of your soul through your movements".... their are other translations of "jive" that are far less flattering and tasteful....'Fearless Five" sounds too comic book like but does convey a demeanor befitting this team.....all this being said, I just feel that Saniya's contributions to this team are too essential for her not to be added in some fashion to the Core Four."

2. Rixxx

Rixxx

I like Kara's "The Committee"....

Bestiarius, drweo and huskeynut like this.
  3. BroadwayVa

BroadwayVa

Jive five---maybe historically correct for a band!. Fearless Five may have a comic sound--but it sure does describe Uconn's Lively, fast, jiv-in, fearless five. The Fab 5 --the team i loved to hate--had a reputation almost as fearsome as this Group of Women. The Fab 5 had fun on the court--as does this group. In terms of making the most of talent and having fun on the court--you couldn't do much better than the FAB FIVE--did I say I didn't like them?? They won too much--bad for the game, I'm told--look what happened to the men;s game--it thrived!!

4. HoopsFan21

HoopsFan21

I think Saniya gets left out simply because she's the lone senior starter that will forever be regarded as a role player.

noirwestern and Gus Mahler like this.
  5. Carnac

Carnac The answer is..

You're not alone. :cool:

CocoHusky and divots like this.
  6. BostonCanuck

BostonCanuck

Right now I think of these five as "the core four and their senior". After listening to her post-game comments, I feel like Saniya for the most part does too.

7. veryolddog

veryolddog

In my opinion, which really isn't worth much, if Saniya performs like she did in the USF game over the next 5 to 6 games consistently, then, unquestionably, she earns a spot on the "Fantastic Five" or Core five. That is all up to Saniya.

eebmg and warbler13 like this.
  8. pacific 44

pacific 44

If the 5 starters are the overdrive five would the 5 on the bench be the high five?lol

9. Gus Mahler

Gus Mahler Popular Composer

How 'bout The Brat Pack. It's numerically flexible.

noirwestern and oldude like this.
  10. Gus Mahler

Gus Mahler Popular Composer

How 'bout The Duds 'n' Studs Quintet?

11. oldude

oldude bamboo lover

As much as we may want to amend the moniker assigned to this year's team, "The Core 4", it may be too late. The media has picked up on it, which is interesting because I think the reference originated here on the Boneyard.

At the end of last night's game, after Geno pulled all of the starters, CBS put up a graphic illustrating the stats for each of the Core 4, which was also interesting since Saniya lead the team in both points & assists.

BostonCanuck likes this.
  12. warbler13

warbler13

Not to mention most time played, 31 minutes.

oldude likes this.
  13. j66kicker

j66kicker

I agree it's probably too late. Unfortunately, that is the result of 3-1/2 years of inconsistent play.

veryolddog and BostonCanuck like this.
  14. eebmg

eebmg

I definitely agree that Saniya needs to show consistency to be included in the club. Even Geno said at his presser "lets see if we see another game like this in our lifetime". Playing time is no excuse with Crystal out for 2 weeks. I imagine hearing core 4 will really get under her skin and push her to reach her potential. If so, I like "the ferocious 5"

15. mntncougar

mntncougar

I really like that! Doesn't imply a number at all, so it might apply to the whole team!

WiseOne and rugbymate like this.
  16. hoophuskee

hoophuskee

I think the Core 4 as of this moment should stay.

1-- Last year "The Big 3" was fine.

2-- Please look above. There is thread about all-americans midway through. I think most of us Husky fans would agree Gabby deserves to be on that mid-season list. But Saniya doesn't. And that's not a rip on Saniya, is it? We have 4 players that are all-american quality. If it was only about "team" then why have "ALL-Americans" and "The Huskies of Honor." For those of you that hate the name-- please explain to me how I can describe a nickname for a team that has 4 All_American type players? Or is that "not allowed?" The game we watch is about fun, is it not? So tell me - what quick nickname can I give these 4 players which I think are all-American (1st, 2nd or 3rd team) quality and that will be fun? They're all-american quality. Isn't it cool to recognize that with a nickname if you have FOUR (which no other team can match, can they?)? Why be such a downer on something that is soooo cool. FOUR players. Most teams is a big honor to have one quality player to be named. We should have FOUR. Isn't that amazing?

Didn't Gabby deserve to be on that mid-season list along with the other three? She DESERVES that recognition the other 3 got, right?

17. DaddyChoc

DaddyChoc His Chockishness

damn... Saniya still can't win smh

18. donalddoowop

donalddoowop

Uconn Huskies is good enough!

19. OldAlum

OldAlum

The Core Four seems to have traction with the media so it will likely remain.
    I would like to offer up a more inclusive nickname - The Family. Shows the interconnectedness of this group and the importance of all the roles. And the extended family includes all the past Huskies. And, of course, there is a nod to Geno's heritage.

20. VAMike23

VAMike23 The Virginian

Come on, man

21. rugbymate

rugbymate

Core Four or any descriptor that doesn't refer to the team or team concept is bogus, IMHO. If we must ...We Five.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.