Beckerman
Kitchen
Wondo
Howard
Horvath

Out:
Bedoya, Jones and Wood

We're officially out of Schlitz!

With Wood out, there isn't much point starting out in a 4-4-2, but with that lineup you shift to one easily.

This is a game that has to be won in 90 minutes. There are very few goals coming off of this bench. Birnbaum or Besler might score off a set piece but Wondo is the only attacker available.

One could start Beckerman, which could move Bradley up to a box to box role, in this case you could leave Zusi for later which would give you a second attacker. But, with Beckerman on the field we have no ability to pass through the middle. He just doesn't have the skill for it and Argentina is too tough to break down.

I would put Zusi in at the box to box role. Not his normal position, but he knows the 4-3-3 inside out and upside down with Sporting. And he fills in in the midfield several times a season. He can also run for days and his workrate is big.

We simply don't have enough center mids to not start Nagbe. And he is the only true attacking center mid available.

What the hell... why not start Pulisic? We're playing with house money now. He has no fear and there is nobody else.

Zardes goes on the other side. There is nobody else to put there.

The biggest absence in my opinion is Jones. He really gave the midfield some bite, which has been good because Bradley has been invisible to putrid.

The second biggest absence is Wood. He's basically been creating space for Dempsey.

Last edited:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I agree about Bradley's invisibility. The good news is they won without (despite?) him. A return to form Tuesday is crucial.

Reaction Score
I agree about Bradley's invisibility. The good news is they won without (despite?) him. A return to form Tuesday is crucial.

Jurgen may have to do what BizLaw suggested and move him forward a little.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
GAMEDAY!!!!
Bre_ihNIEAEF6se.jpg

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I think all subs will be defensive. If we need a goal, Johnson and Yedlin can move up. If we are ahead late you will see Beckerman and anyone on the bench who can run.

I hope JK doesn't start Beckerman.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Against Ecuador, I wish he was merely invisible. He was a very noticeable negative.

Reaction Score
If I were coaching, I would take this game as house money, go for it, and then refocus with a less aggressive lineup in the third place game:

Guzan
Yedlin, Cameron, Brooks, Johnson
Zusi, Bradley (in front of ), Beckerman, Pulisic
Zardes (in front of ), Dempsey

I am taking JK's word that he's not comfortable with Nagbe's ability to track back, and this is not an opponent that we can survive with a MF unable to track back. More likely, however, is that JK goes for three experienced subs:

Guzan
Yedlin, Cameron, Brooks, Besler
Zusi, Bradley, Beckerman, Johnson
Zardes, Dempsey

The only way JK starts Pulisic is if he goes for a 4-3-3, keeps Bradley in front of the back 4 with Zusi and Nagbe in front of him and Pulisic and Zardes on the wings with Dempsey in the middle. But I'd be shocked if he did that. Assuming I'm right about JK's lineup, if you're down you come off the bench with Pulisic and Nagbe. If you are up or tied late, you come in with wing FBs (Besler and Orozco) and move Yedlin and Johnson to MF when our starting run out of steam.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
If I were coaching, I would take this game as house money, go for it, and then refocus with a less aggressive lineup in the third place game:

Guzan
Yedlin, Cameron, Brooks, Johnson
Zusi, Bradley (in front of ), Beckerman, Pulisic
Zardes (in front of ), Dempsey

I am taking JK's word that he's not comfortable with Nagbe's ability to track back, and this is not an opponent that we can survive with a MF unable to track back. More likely, however, is that JK goes for three experienced subs:

Guzan
Zusi, Bradley, Beckerman, Johnson
Zardes, Dempsey

The only way JK starts Pulisic is if he goes for a 4-3-3, keeps Bradley in front of the back 4 with Zusi and Nagbe in front of him and Pulisic and Zardes on the wings with Dempsey in the middle. But I'd be shocked if he did that. Assuming I'm right about JK's lineup, if you're down you come off the bench with Pulisic and Nagbe. If you are up or tied late, you come in with wing FBs (Besler and Orozco) and move Yedlin and Johnson to MF when our starting run out of steam.

I sure hope you're wrong. I'll be very disappointed if he rolls out that lineup, which has no chance to win, and probably can't score. Two of our 5 most skilled players are Nagbe and Pulisic. We need that tonight.

Bradley has shown no ability to possess the ball or go forward, if he's the attacking MF, then we are simply turtling from the outset. Pathetic. I like the counter game, but if we are going to play that way, put as much speed and ability to beat defenders as possible up front. I'd start Pusilic for Wood up top, with Nagbe as attacking MF, and Bradley behind. Johnson up to wing MF. Gotta go for it.

Guzan
Zardes, Bradley (behind), Nagbe (in front), Johnson
Pusilic, Dempsey

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
If you flipped Pulisic and Zardes I'd be Ok. I think Zoo has it correct.

Reaction Score
From all I've heard from JK, I think it's more likely that Pulisic starts than Nagbe. I can't see him sitting Beckerman in this game -- I just can't. And frankly, against Argentina I think I'm happier with Bradley in front of Beckerman than Nagbe in front of Bradley.

Reaction Score
The USA is better when Bradley is invisible. It means he is making the right plays.

They have almost no chance to beat Argentina. The back line which has been good needs to be great. And when they get their occasional chance to score, they have to finish. Most of all, they need a bit of luck.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Wondo, Zusi and Beckerman.

Good times.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
Cause talent doesn't factor into his thinking.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
So my wife asked my prediction for the score and I said 3-1 with Messi scoring two...I turn the game on as they score the first goal and I see Beckerman and Wono in the lineup and I turn to her and say I change that to 5-0. We ain't scoring a goal with that horrendous lineup. Wondo....are you flipping kidding me with that $h*t

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
Ugh Beckerman. Wondo scaring no one.

Messi is going to play that chip over the back line every time until he gets bored.

Good news it looks like Bradley showed up.

Zardes playing with speed.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
3-2 break away for the US and they pass it backwards and turn it over for an Argentina breakaway.....the loss of Wood is killing us already and Wondo ain't making up the difference here.

Down 1-0, I make an offensive change now

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
Yedlin not doing anything either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics