Copa America USA not a one off? | The Boneyard

Copa America USA not a one off?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I love this idea. Here's another concept I would be in favor of: get rid of the Gold Cup and allow CONCACAF teams to qualify for the Copa America - besides U.S. as host and Mexico, CRC too if you want to avoid the formalities. Then, the CONCACAF team that advances the furthest in Copa America qualifies for the Confederations Cup. I know small countries like Martinique, Grenada, and whatnot would be vehemently opposed but I think it would generate more excitement in the U.S. to have Brazil and Argentina come around every 4 years.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I love the idea. If I was a SA fan though, I'd hate it. Basically stealing their tournament. But having the chance for USA to play against this competition every 4 years would be excellent. And have it here, even better. I'd be willing to swap it back and forth with SA, basically here every 8 years. The other years in SA.

I doubt a lot of the CONCACAF minnows are going to appreciate it.

Reaction Score
We don't need a Gold Cup every two years anyway -- that's way too frequent for the product it produces. If there was in a four year cycle one Gold Cup, instead of 2, and then one combined CONMEBOL -- CONCACAF tournament everyone could be happy.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't mind the US being in the rotation but not as the permanent home. That would be a huge slap in the face to South America

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
How about FIFA opens up their corrupt, damn eyes and sees how popular these things have been in the US and award us the World Cup....for god sake it needs to happen!

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
I love this idea. Here's another concept I would be in favor of: get rid of the Gold Cup and allow CONCACAF teams to qualify for the Copa America - besides U.S. as host and Mexico, CRC too if you want to avoid the formalities. Then, the CONCACAF team that advances the furthest in Copa America qualifies for the Confederations Cup. I know small countries like Martinique, Grenada, and whatnot would be vehemently opposed but I think it would generate more excitement in the U.S. to have Brazil and Argentina come around every 4 years.
I've thought of the same idea. However, I would be opposed to having a combined Copa Libertadores (for club teams) as the travel would be ridiculous, and I would be opposed to merging the two conferderations into one, resulting in one giant Americas qualifying campaign for the World Cup. The CONMEBOL qualifying procedure is the purest out there (double round-robin).

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It seems unlikely, but clearly we can pull off events like this, the World Cup or an Olympics with relative ease, while they are quite difficult for other countries in the Americas to manage.

Saw an article yesterday about the Olympics, proposing to move it to Greece permanently, creating a permanent "Epcot" like Olympic village, and avoiding the chaos and waste of building useless facilities at great expense that sit empty. Winter Olympics could do something similar in Switzerland.

Reaction Score
It seems unlikely, but clearly we can pull off events like this, the World Cup or an Olympics with relative ease, while they are quite difficult for other countries in the Americas to manage.

Saw an article yesterday about the Olympics, proposing to move it to Greece permanently, creating a permanent "Epcot" like Olympic village, and avoiding the chaos and waste of building useless facilities at great expense that sit empty. Winter Olympics could do something similar in Switzerland.

A permanent move to Greece would be a mistake, the country is a shambles.

Reaction Score

Reaction Score

The logic of that proposal provides a stark contrast to how the real world works.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Perhaps it would be less of a shambles with a nice permanent tourist attraction, and a whole lot of construction work.

Reaction Score
I would love it if the Copa's turned into an all of the America's type tournament every 4 years. Have the 6 teams that qualify for the Hex in CONCACAF WC qualifying also gaining auto entry to Copa. That leaves 6 teams that would have otherwise qualified for Gold Cup out of luck, but oh well. How great to have the WC in 2018, Copa in 2020, WC in 2022, Copa in 2024, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBall

Top Bottom