Coombs and Gordon | The Boneyard

Coombs and Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
They did not make the trip to Chicago. According to the paper, they stayed back to prepare for exams. This seems unusual. Does anyone know if there is more to it?

Reaction Score
If I recall correctly, Geno has said something about not being ready or keeping up. He could be referencing academics. College transition and course load can be difficult, even more so when you are a d1 athlete. Hopefully, they can make the transition and leverage the academic side of the scholarship. I also like that Geno places such importance on academics. Not every coach will (or can).

Reaction Score
In the past missing an away game generally means that there is more going on than just staying behind to study for exams.
How many players that were left behind for a game finished their college careers in a UConn uniform? Pulido is one.

Reaction Score
According to UConn's calendar (below), exams start Monday. If you do have a Monday exam and you're not getting much playing time anyway and maybe (or maybe not!) you're struggling a little academically, this is the wise decision. Not sure we should draw conclusions publicly about the future of anyone on the team based on vague recollections.

Calendar for Fall Semester 2017 | Office of the Registrar

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
According to UConn's calendar (below), exams start Monday. If you do have a Monday exam and you're not getting much playing time anyway and maybe (or maybe not!) you're struggling a little academically, this is the wise decision. Not sure we should draw conclusions publicly about the future of anyone on the team based on vague recollections.

I recall a few other players who were left behind on road trips. This is obviously not a good sign for Mikayla and Lexi, but it may have been a prudent move academically. Looking at the box score, it’s clear that Mikayla may have played about 4 minutes ands Lexi would have played maybe 2 minutes. That’s not very much. In terms of basketball, both need to hang in there and step it up. Both Stewie and Stefanie stepped up their games during their first seasons. Other players made big sophomore leaps. Mikayla and Lexi will need to do one or the other to play meaningful minutes this year or next.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Didn't this happen to Lorin Dixon her freshman year? She was a contributor the rest of her career.
It happened early in her career, though I forget which year. I believe that De’Janae was left behind one game last year, but was injured and wouldn’t have played anyway.

Reaction Score
I think it also depends on what is your majoring. If your majoring is having 2 exams in Monday morning you may be asked to stay (unless Geno knows you will get all A, :p).

Reaction Score
I wouldn't make a big deal about it this time, if it becomes a pattern then perhaps there's a problem

Reaction Score
Totally off the wall, but I've rarely seen Lexi look like she's having fun, except maybe in Italy. Granted, all freshman go thru the same grind, but she just looks so unhappy to me.

Reaction Score
It will play out as it plays out. Many, many adjustments for high profile kids coming to high profile programs; some kids handle it fine; some kids take a little longer to find their way; some kids need to move on. I'm just glad I'm not scrutinized/critiqued at work everyday like we do to some of these kids....

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
It may have something to do with the particular course or courses involved. For example, in a freshman chemistry course, a titration or similar lab process may be involved as part of the exam. Make-up exams (or early exams) are, in such cases, an additional significant burden for the students and the faculty, and are to be avoided if possible.

Actually, freshman/sophomore courses outside the major are usually far more challenging than major courses.

And...talk about potential transfers is verboten on the BY and uncalled for.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
In the past missing an away game generally means that there is more going on than just staying behind to study for exams.
Not necessarily, Heather Buck and Polly missed a few IIRC.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I suspect that the only reason this thread still exists is that the mods haven't read it yet. Everything here seems to fall under the category of "harmful speculation", which is not allowed. Not to mention the hypothetical reference to transfers.

Reaction Score
They did not make the trip to Chicago. According to the paper, they stayed back to prepare for exams. This seems unusual. Does anyone know if there is more to it?

Not unusual for Frosh--lots of pressure, whole new schooling--good move on Geno's part. He can win without them.

Reaction Score

Using my Crystal Ball---all players will be here in April. Nothing unusual in players staying behind (some request it) this time of the year. To read anything into this--is just wasting memory cells.

Reaction Score
At some point these kids just have to learn that this isn't North Carolina.

Reaction Score
It happened early in her career, though I forget which year. I believe that De’Janae was left behind one game last year, but was injured and wouldn’t have played anyway.

Right, and then she transferred to Penn State!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Right, and then she transferred to Penn State!
Correct. I'm going to try to abide by the rules and not engage in speculation. It's obvious that about 4 players, including 2 of the freshmen, do not have Geno's trust. For them to play, they need to keep working at it. All of them are young, so they have time on their side.

Most of the players at UConn do finally get it. Stewie took a lot of dissing from Geno as a freshman and became All-World. Lou was practically reduced to tears, and now may be the best overall player in the country. Rebecca was the "worst post player in America" and is now in the Hall of Fame.

College can be hard. Playing basketball at UConn is very, very hard. Geno makes mistakes in recruiting, but obviously he saw something in all the recruits. I want to see all of them succeed to the best of their abilities. None of the four is anywhere near her ceiling, but continued effort will get them all closer and closer.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I recall a few other players who were left behind on road trips. This is obviously not a good sign for Mikayla and Lexi, but it may have been a prudent move academically. Looking at the box score, it’s clear that Mikayla may have played about 4 minutes ands Lexi would have played maybe 2 minutes. That’s not very much. In terms of basketball, both need to hang in there and step it up. Both Stewie and Stefanie stepped up their games during their first seasons. Other players made big sophomore leaps. Mikayla and Lexi will need to do one or the other to play meaningful minutes this year or next.

Speaking just for ME. I'm not going to read anything into this. There are too many reasons why they did not make the trip. Most of the time it's for academic reasons. Whatever the reason, we probably will not be told why, so I'm going to let his play out and see how these two finish the academic and athletic year. Recently, De'Janae Boykin had some academic challenges during her freshman year at UConn recently (and missed some road games), and transferred to Penn State where she is now a junior, and seems to be doing OK. We must remember that all of these ladies are not on the same academic plane. For some, the academics come easy, while others have to put in more effort and study much harder, and need a little more time to adjust to college life and it's demands. It has been said that the freshman year is generally the hardest of the four.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom