OT: - Cool MiLB Story | The Boneyard

OT: Cool MiLB Story

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Mobile, Alabama's AA team is moving at end of season to northern Alabama by Huntsville. Bummer because the stadium in Mobile is named after Hank Aaron and is now without a tenant.

The Mobile Bay Bears had an adult bat boy with a couple of serious physical and neurological conditions. He wasn't moving and was going to be without a job.

Pensacola AA team, 45 miles to the east, hired him on as bat boy for 2020 season. To commemorate they brought bus loads of fans and franchise staff and had ceremony at Mobile.

A smile enveloped his face, along with prideful joy as Wade Vadakin was presented a Pensacola Blue Wahoos jersey at Mobile’s Hank Aaron Stadium this weekend.
The gesture by Blue Wahoos president Jonathan Griffith signified Vadakin’s new future working in professional baseball.
After being the beloved bat boy of the Mobile BayBears since the team arrived in 1997, their exit after this season won’t include another sad finality. Starting next season, Vadakin will start to create a new legacy with the Blue Wahoos.

Vadakin, who turned 40 this year, a man who has battled his way in life since being born with congenital brain-stem damage and visual impairment, along with diabetes since he was 13 months old, will become the Blue Wahoos new batboy next season.

“It’s going to feel bittersweet,” Vadakin said, during an on-field interview with WKRG News 5 sports anchor Robby Baker, one of the Blue Wahoos new corporate partners this season. “On one hand, it sucks saying goodbye to Mobile, saying goodbye to Hank Aaron Stadium, a place I called home for 22 years.

“On the other hand, it’s exciting being part of a new team, being with a new organization, being with new players.”

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Really nice story. Not highlighted within Chin’s summary is the wonderful detail that the team will now be called the Rocket City Trash Pandas. I loved MiLB

I was going to add that detail. Great name. I get Rocket City for Huntsville but had to look up trash panda. It's slang for raccoon. Which also makes sense for Huntsville.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I was going to add that detail. Great name. I get Rocket City for Huntsville but had to look up trash panda. It's slang for raccoon. Which also makes sense for Huntsville.

And buried in the link is losing names such as Space Chimps, Moon Possums or Rocket Jockeys.

I totally would have voted for Moon Possums.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom