Cool, local anniversary getaway ideas... | The Boneyard

Cool, local anniversary getaway ideas...

Reaction Score
My wife and I will be celebrating five years of marital survival in July and would like to do our first getaway sans child. We've done lots of stuff away from the New England area but not much within it. So I'm looking for any suggestions for somewhat local places (2-3 hours tops from Hartford) that will not break the bank as well. Because, you know, three-year-old. Looking for cool vibe, restaurants, bars, etc. but not Newport/Cape. Thanks for any suggestions!

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
My wife and I will be celebrating five years of marital survival in July and would like to do our first getaway sans child. We've done lots of stuff away from the New England area but not much within it. So I'm looking for any suggestions for somewhat local places (2-3 hours tops from Hartford) that will not break the bank as well. Because, you know, three-year-old. Looking for cool vibe, restaurants, bars, etc. but not Newport/Cape. Thanks for any suggestions!

Little further ( 3.5 from Hartford) but

Burlington!

Reaction Score
Little further ( 3.5 from Hartford) but

Burlington!

Great idea; I'd love to do Portland as well, but I think my wife will need to be closer to my daughter should she stub her toe or something... First trip away and all.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
Congrats! As a long married man with multiple kids, dogs, and minivans, I can tell you with confidence that each day is better than the next.

Choice 1, Portland. If too far, consider Mystic.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Northampton is fun. Burlington is cool. NYC if thats your thing. Lenox, MA. You could spend a few days hiking the AT at the CT/MA border...some beautiful spots there like Mt Race.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Try to get a room at the Madison Beach Hotel.

Reaction Score
Thirding southern Maine. The wife and I have done anniversary trips up there. York, Kennebunkport, Portland, etc. There's a nice mix of things to do and complete serenity.

Reaction Score
Portland, Maine. Checks off every box you have.

Spent 4 nights in Portland last summer. Found it unbelievably overpriced for what it is.

I don't know if your "cool vibe" means urban core, but if it doesn't find a nice inn on Lake Waramaug, relax and go for dinner to a newer restaurant in Kent or Bantom. You'll be little more than an hour away but feel like you're in another world. If it's your first time alone without your child, you ought to spend most of your time with Barry White playing in the background.

Last edited:

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Love Portland/KPort for a weekend, not any longer, and really only as a base for exploring and coming back for dinner. IMO a weekend in Essex/Haddam - take her to a musical at Goodspeed and dinner somewhere in Ivoryton or even at the Griswold is more "romantic" if that's an aim here.

One thing wife and I did years ago was weekend at the Equinox + Orbis fly fishing school and all that southern VT stuff. Loved it.

Also consider New Hope, PA area.

If it were August, I'd say Saratoga w/o a doubt. And I wouldn't rule out NYC, except humid.

Reaction Score
I've done Portland when I was in my 20s and loved it. I think my wife would too, but I'm worried it will be a little too far for her and have her worried the whole time.

We love NYC and have done it many, many times. I'd prefer to do something different for this one.

The Water's Edge is nice... But, we had her bridal shower and our rehearsal dinner there so that one's out.

The Mohonk Mountain House looks pretty sweet...

Reaction Score
If 2-3 hours is really your maximum, and if you're beach/coastal people, take a ferry to the Vineyard and stay in Oak Bluffs. Restaurant scene there has improved greatly and it won't break the bank like Edgartown. Dockside Inn is a great spot.

I would say Montauk but sadly that's reached bank-breaking status now, and you'll be dealing with drunken hipsters everywhere you look.

If you don't need a beach, look at Saratoga.

Reaction Score
As a few others have said, I would look at Essex if you want to stay close and keep your wife's anxiety to a minimum.

Reaction Score
Sagamore - Lake George (hate the town but the lake is nice as is the hotel)

Mirror Lake Inn - Lake Placid

Saratoga - Track, restaurants, bars, etc

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Mystic and Mystic Seaport. Great seafood restaurants. Some very nice accommodations that have romantic packages.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score

I was going to help out. But then I saw no Newport and realized you don't have a soul.

(I am biased toward Narragansett though as well).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom