Contract Update | The Boneyard

Contract Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
According to today's Sport's Business Daily, the Big East is nearing the completion of two deals. The 6 year, 25 million (annually) deal with NBC, and a deal with CBS, which would pay a total of 2-4 million dollars a year for "basketball rights."

The Big East “plans to start rebuilding its brand this month with two new TV deals, albeit at a much lower value than the conference had hoped when it started negotiations more than a year ago,” according to Ourand & Smith of SPORTSBUSINESS JOURNAL. The Big East is “close to finalizing deals with two partners, NBC and CBS, that will give the conference exposure across multiple networks.” The NBC agreement will “put football and basketball games primarily on its cable channel, NBC Sports Network, with the ability to move some games to the NBC broadcast network.” CBS also is “close to renewing its package of basketball games for its broadcast channel.” NBC will pay close to $25M annually over six years “for a bucket of games to go on NBC and NBC Sports Network.”

Sources said that CBS’ contract will pay $2-4M per year “for its package of basketball rights.” Big East Commissioner Mike Aresco said that the conference is “unlikely to cede the Big East name to the Catholic schools that are breaking away.” Aresco said, “We’re talking to them. Our strong inclination is to keep the name.” Aresco said that “solidifying the conference’s media rights is a crucial first step toward rebuilding the Big East brand.” Aresco: “We’re trying to be realistic. We’re not the Big East of even several months ago.” Aresco added, “We know we have to prove ourselves on the field. We can’t argue that we’re the Big East of the past. We have to accept that and move on.” Sources said that ESPN has "until Thursday" to match NBC Sports Network's seven-year, $20-23M per year offer for the Big East's media rights.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
So what is it?

6 years $25 M

or

7 years $20-$23 M that ESPN has to match?

Reaction Score
.......and 2-4 mill for basketball rights? Per team, for the conference per year or...help me out here.

Reaction Score
.......and 2-4 mill for basketball rights? Per team, for the conference per year or...help me out here.
$2-4 Million total per year for a handful of basketball games -- figure UConn-Cincy, UConn-Memphis, Cincy-Memphis, maybe one involving Temple, and a non-conference home game or two.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
CBS' current contracts includes two WBB games, I think. I wonder if they'll change that.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
So if I'm reading this correctly (probably not), it sounds like we are going to get 2 million per year from NBC and 2-4 million a year from CBS, for a grand total of 4-6 million per team for the 6 year contract.

If that's correct, it's certainly better than the former situation, and it also sounds like it leaves in tact deals like the women have with SNY (although I could be wrong). In total, UConn could at least get paid marginally well, and seemingly better than it would if it went with the C-7 for olympics and indy for football. Again, it all assumes that I've read this correctly...

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
On second thought, I've probably read it wrong. Perhaps the 2-4 million from CBS is for the entire league, not per team. Sorry about that...

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
doesn't matter. were not part of this league or contract.

the 2-4 mil from cbs is for memphis @ temple, temple @ memphis, uh @ temple, temple @ uh, memphis @ uh, uh @ memphis. depening on 3-6 games they put on they will pay between 2-4mil a year.

Reaction Score
doesn't matter. were not part of this league or contract.

the 2-4 mil from cbs is for memphis @ temple, temple @ memphis, uh @ temple, temple @ uh, memphis @ uh, uh @ memphis. depening on 3-6 games they put on they will pay between 2-4mil a year.

Please elaborate.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Please elaborate.

b10 is going to add 2 or 4 teams. either way some or all of those are going to be acc teams. it could be as simple as just uva or it could be as big as uva, unc, gtech and duke. we dont know but they are all possible.

the most likely outcome is uva is fianlly ready(prez/bot gets its together). they can't pry unc. unc is going to use the b10 and sec vs each other until the bitter end to get the best moving deal ever. they are the gem in many ways. nd is a gem, but the sec isn't in tune with nd. its unc where the sec and b10 are waging war. unc will not move soon and it will be drawn out.

so the best answer for the b10 is to grab uconn who they know they cna pull within a simple text message. the b10 needs to get to 16 quick. what they fear is that the sec works north. that was the real reason md and rutgers were added. not this psu bs they made up. if these 2 are both going to be 18 to 20 large each, then nyc was the prize. they both quickly before going for it added midwest teams to make sure the west flanks were good. neb and atm/mizzu. now its a north east war.

the sec could have killed off the b10 by going unc/vt or uva/md/ruty/wvu/uconn. want to talk about the south & eastern conference. yea, that would have been nuts. take a look at that on a map now.

the b10 couldn't let that happen. so they hit dc with md and nyc with ruty. now they can polish off the rest later. but now with footprint already established they dont have to worry about the sec going north farther that vt. that was a huge move for JD.

the b10 is going to try and try for unc. but it wont happen. eventually they will force its hand and take uva with uconn and that will send cicny to replace uva in the acc. then unc will be without its 2 big public buddies who both went north and joined 2 more form the BE. its now a pick of identity/cluture/future/$ etc...for unc. florida/bama/sc/ga/tenn/uk vs uva/md/ruty/psu/uconn/tosu. unc is in such a nice seat its hard to not be jacking off to it. the question is, who is 18. is that enough to pry nd away or is gtech then in play or what...

either way the b10 will act soon. uconn and cincy will get spots from it somehow depending on who goes where. its all about when unc finally moves and where it goes. on the sec side, if they lose unc to the north, then they grab vt, ncst fsu and 1 more easily.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
b10 is going to add 2 or 4 teams. either way some or all of those are going to be acc teams. it could be as simple as just uva or it could be as big as uva, unc, gtech and duke. we dont know but they are all possible.

the most likely outcome is uva is fianlly ready(prez/bot gets its together). they can't pry unc. unc is going to use the b10 and sec vs each other until the bitter end to get the best moving deal ever. they are the gem in many ways. nd is a gem, but the sec isn't in tune with nd. its unc where the sec and b10 are waging war. unc will not move soon and it will be drawn out.

so the best answer for the b10 is to grab uconn who they know they cna pull within a simple text message. the b10 needs to get to 16 quick.

Like the above analysis. Assuming the B1g adds 2-4 teams, then we should have a home. I'm less confident that you about the time frame but I'd be glad to wrong on that.

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
Like the above analysis. Assuming the B1g adds 2-4 teams, then we should have a home. I'm less confident that you about the time frame but I'd be glad to wrong on that.

There is a 100% chance that the B1G and SEC add at least 2 each and B12 adds between 2-6.

100%.

There is a 99.990411% chance therefore that Connecticut won't play more than a season or 2 or 3 in this shat-hole league that is the nnbe.

Every time I read a post from Nelson or some other numbnut claiming Connecticut is destined to remain, it embarrasses me to realize how stupid a portion of our fanbase is.

It may even be the ACC leftovers we ultimately commingle with, but there's no chance Connecticut will compete in nnbe long term.

Reaction Score
I am getting very tired of these insightful analyses of all of the reasons why we are short timers in the NNNBE. They remind me of all of the reasons previously given for our moving to another conference before Cuse, Pitt and Louisville. It didn't happen. Let's not fool ourselves again. We are in the NNNBE. We may not like it but there it is.

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
I am getting very tired of these insightful analyses of all of the reasons why we are short timers in the NNNBE. They remind me of all of the reasons previously given for our moving to another conference before Cuse, Pitt and Louisville. It didn't happen. Let's not fool ourselves again. We are in the NNNBE. We may not like it but there it is.

Wrong. But whatever. If you're so tired, take a nap and when you awake, you can come back to the Boneyard and read about the invite and our new league.

Sweet dreams.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Wrong. But whatever. If you're so tired, take a nap and when you awake, you can come back to the Boneyard and read about the invite and our new league.

Sweet dreams.
He's not wrong. We're in the nnnnnnbe until we're not. All signs point to us being safe at some point but until then........

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
One thing everyone should be able to agree on is that we don't need a $1MM a year commissioner in a league whose total revenue is $24-26 million. I think this contract is pretty disappointing even considering the departures, and Aresco certainly is not justifying his contract. I hope there is not some crazy buyout, but a mid-major league does not need a commissioner that is this expensive.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
Nearly $3 millon a year? That properly values basketball almost as much as C7 basketball and values football at absolutely nothing but exposure.

Reaction Score

Sweet dreams.

I come here 1 or 2 times a week to try to get information. Today I click on a thread that provides some and then find it hijacked by the usual litany of reasons we will soon be gone from the NNNBE. Reminds me of Viet Nam. Some idiots would go around yelling "short" two weeks after they got in country. Guess what they still had to spend their 364 and a wake up.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
Aresco certainly is not justifying his contract. I hope there is not some crazy buyout, but a mid-major league does not need a commissioner that is this expensive.

7 teams ( a voting majority) have no reason to complain.

Reaction Score
RMoore1999 said:
Sweet dreams.

He's not wrong. We're in the nnnnnnbe until we're not. All signs point to us being safe at some point but until then........
Sounds like you're both disagreeing to agree...

Reaction Score
$2-4 Million total per year for a handful of basketball games -- figure UConn-Cincy, UConn-Memphis, Cincy-Memphis, maybe one involving Temple, and a non-conference home game or two.

This is bizarre. Why not offer those games to NBC so that NBC can up the annual #. What's the difference? These are network games.

Reaction Score
Worst Case Scenario - The B1G and the SEC both go to 18 - B1G goes to 18 with UNC, UVA, Duke and GT. The SEC comes is and takes NC State, Clemson, Va Tech, and FSU. The B-12 comes in and takes Miami and Pitt to go to 12 and get the conf championship. The thing that makes me doubt this the most is that both the SEC and the B1G do not like to share regions with other conferences. The two super conferences would be splitting North Carolina and Virginia.

If the above happenned, those left on the outside looking is are - UConn, BC, Louisville, Syracuse, Wake, Cincy, USF.

If the B-12 was looking bigger they could actually add the combo of UConn, 'Cuse, Louisville and Cincy who along with WVU, Pitt, and Miami and maybe Iowa St. to make a nice eastern conference.

HFD is absolutely correct that UNC and it's trustees and fan base are the lynchpin here. I really have difficulty seeing them making the move to a totally "northern" conference. There is so much pressure on the southern schools to hold onto the cultural identity of the south. That will have more of an impact than anybody up north could really imagine. If UNC passes on the B1G then Delany's southern advancements may come to a screeching halt as Duke would not go or be wanted on it's own, and GT would become a geographic outlier. Whether that would keep UVA in place is a huge unknown, but with or without UVA, Delany would have to look north to fill his league to either 16 or 18 teams.

With UVA then they take 1 (UConn, BC, or Syracuse) to get to 16 or they take all 3 to get to 18. If UVA passes on the B1G then the northern move may be just 2 from the BC, Syracuse, UConn trio.

Reaction Score
CBS' current contracts includes two WBB games, I think. I wonder if they'll change that.

That's not a contract with the BE, though. I thought UConn WBB contracted separately for its games.

Reaction Score
In terms of the TV contract, all I keep thinking of is the fact that the UConn Women's team is getting paid $1.14M/year by SNY. What really sucks is that the SNY men's hoops contract and football contract money goes directly to the BE rather than UConn for even distribution to everybody in the league. So once again, UConn has the power and gravitas to sign a significant contract with SNY, but they can't reap the full benefits because the money goes to the BE.

UConn could make significantly more money from SNY than from the conference if the contracts were properly negotiated to reward the team that made the contract with SNY.

Reaction Score
Memo to brother Greene: I don't remember anyone yelling "short" unless they were. Damn bad karma. Sounds like something that might happen in the Funky 4th however. As to all the angst here, my gut tells me UConn is moving in the Fall, somewhere. No one here knows anything and an attempt to structure an analysis is like building a real bridge with popsickle sticks. I recommend Paxil for the stressed. FB schedule this Fall is good and if the season comes and goes without change for UConn I would be very very surprised.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom