Continuing with no helmet penalty? | The Boneyard

Continuing with no helmet penalty?

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Not that it affected the final score but I was a little confused by the “continuing to play with no helmet” penalty on UConn. I thought any play was dead as soon as a player’s helmet came off, let alone when it’s the result of an offensive penalty. So an Illini personal foul penalty is negated because the refs allowed the play to continue and our guy didn’t just jog off the field?

Full disclosure the offsetting penalties negotiated a ~20 yard Illini gain. However this was an odd sequence.

Tried to google the rule and all if I find is what ticket you get for riding a motorcycle with no helmet.

Reaction Score
It's a tough one, but if he's not the ball-carrier the play isn't dead immediately. In that situation because the flag was thrown, he could've stayed away from the play and no matter what would've happened it becomes 1st and 20. On the other hand, if he isn't aware that the flag is thrown, you still pursue, as if there is no flag thrown, it'd be better for him to make the tackle 20 yards down the field and give up the extra 10 yards than give up a potential TD (and he was in on the tackle).

Reaction Score
That was a failure in coaching. The kid was a freshman and obviously had no idea it was penalty to play once your helmet came off. Can't blame the kid. No one told him.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
That was a failure in coaching. The kid was a freshman and obviously had no idea it was penalty to play once your helmet came off. Can't blame the kid. No one told him.
Does seem like the kind of things officials send out to coaches on the need to know list before the season.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
It’s a moronic rule. What is he supposed to do, lie down?

Of course you make it about the coach.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I agree the play should have been blown dead as soon as it came off by an offensive player. It actually hurt UConn more as a penalty would have put Illinois back further on the play

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score

I don't care if the staff has covered that rule, I LOVE the effort and desire to keep with the play and make the tackle without his hat! I'll never get mad at a kid for that. Who was that by the way?

Illinois targeted and celebrated all day so I've got zero issues with that play on our end or the one where we accidentally ripped a kids helmet/head off by the facemask and then slammed his lid into the turf.

Reaction Score
I don't care if the staff has covered that rule, I LOVE the effort and desire to keep with the play and make the tackle without his hat! I'll never get mad at a kid for that. Who was that by the way?

True freshman DL Eric Watts from South Carolina.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score

Illinois targeted and celebrated all day so I've got zero issues with that play on our end or the one where we accidentally ripped a kids helmet/head off by the facemask and then slammed his lid into the turf.
Not sure I’ve ever seen so many unsportsmanlike penalties

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom