Continued development of our wings | The Boneyard

Continued development of our wings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm not sure if a thread has been made about this, but my view on Daniels has done a 180 since his early struggles. what I see now game in and out is the magic word aggression. on defense he is picking up men full court, on offense he's passed forced shots to make a living in the mid range. he values possessions more leading to less turnovers. Giffey has upped his aggressiveness to new heights. lot of good missed shots at the rim for him last game. haven't even brought up calhouns maturity. I'm really happy with how Ollie is developing coachable players. he just needs to somehow work on boatrights atrocious defense.

Reaction Score
Giffey gets good minutes because of how coachable he is. He is tagging a man when a shot goes up. works on his shot and attacking i see kyle singler lite with quicker feet.

Reaction Score
Giffey gets good minutes because of how coachable he is. He is tagging a man when a shot goes up. works on his shot and attacking i see kyle singler lite with quicker feet.

He reminds me of Will Sheehey of IU, except Sheehey is more aggressive and confident on O, sometimes too confident. I like that Giffey has been trying to be more aggressive the past couple games, he has it in him to score.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
Daniels is nothing if not quietly consistent. There are games where I don't even recall seeing him play and he finishes with 11 and 5. On the one hand that's exactly what we'd want out of our "third" guy, but on the other hand I think he's more than capable of being Harvard or Depaul DeAndre.

On the defensive end, he struggled a little bit staying in front of Victor Rudd last game ... luckily Rudd had some trouble finishing but on more than one occasion I saw them iso him against DeAndre. He's a great help defender but still has to work on that one-on-one quickness.

Reaction Score
NG is playing VG defense and this has increased his playing time in conference games to 22+ mpg. However he has lost his shooting touch. 38% from the floor and 17% from 3. He is shooting 76% from the FT line and grabbing 4 rbpg. DD has up his ave to 12 pts in conference games and leads the teams in BS and RB. Still having a tough time shooting 3's, below 30%. DD has become a more aggressive rebounder and is getting inside the paint more. Heis still growing as a player. He gone from 2 ppg last year to 11-12 this year. Hopefully 14-16 next year.

Reaction Score
I'm curious to Giffey inability to shoot off the bounce. Or even why his in rhythm set shot threes aren't consistent. Similar to Jamal Coombs-McDaniel in that matter-- both great ft shooters. thing with Giffey is I believe he is a very very smart kid. makes errors based thinking too
Much not too little. Hell never be a guy you throw the ball to to go get buckets but he can do everything else you need from a role player. He is a great athlete also very strong

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
I'm not sure if a thread has been made about this, but my view on Daniels has done a 180 since his early struggles. what I see now game in and out is the magic word aggression. on defense he is picking up men full court, on offense he's passed forced shots to make a living in the mid range. he values possessions more leading to less turnovers. Giffey has upped his aggressiveness to new heights. lot of good missed shots at the rim for him last game. haven't even brought up calhouns maturity. I'm really happy with how Ollie is developing coachable players. he just needs to somehow work on boatrights atrocious defense.

Agreed on all points.

Glad I'm not the only one who has noticed Boat's lazy and just downright BAD defense. He reminds me of Shabazz from last year (not staying in front of his man, not closing on shooters, gambling too much on the steal). Except last year Shabazz was hurt. Hope Ryan's knee isn't an issue.

Reaction Score
It's either boatrights knee is >70% or he has horrible defensive fundamentals. He has rather quick hands which lead to those on ball steals but all the other times he just gets blown by and doesn't bother tagging a man. what's gone understated is shabazz is often playing lockdown defense on opposing offensive studs. I can only imagine if napiers foot was healthy.
edit-- boatright also might have poor conditioning.

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
It's either boatrights knee is >70% or he has horrible defensive fundamentals. He has rather quick hands which lead to those on ball steals but all the other times he just gets blown by and doesn't bother tagging a man. what's gone understated is shabazz is often playing lockdown defense on opposing offensive studs. I can only imagine if napiers foot was healthy.
edit-- boatright also might have poor conditioning.

Definately noticed, the multiple blow byes guards seem to be able to get way with against Boat. Watching the game, I would rewind each time it happened, and 90% of the time it all stemmed from having his weight on his heels, instead of the balls of his feet. With his weight shifted back like that, he can't match a quick first step by some guards (ala Cotton, and the band-aid kid on USF)
It's been mentioned that his bad knee is due to tendonitis, which actually explains we he's playing on his heels, due to the sometimes unbearable pain associated with putting pressure/weight on that tendon when you get low & have your weight shifted on your toes.
So his knee, could very well be why this is happening so often.
I played a half a season (football) with tendonitis in the knee, and it's no merry-go-round.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom