Contenders morphing into Pretenders. | The Boneyard

Contenders morphing into Pretenders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Call it attrition.

Several teams have been in the hunt for a #1 seed in the NCAA's big dance. As noted earlier, Baylor seems to be a lock, while Notre Dame and UConn seem likely. Penn State was upset, Tennessee lost to a team they had beaten badly, Kentucky went down. We are reminded that the season is very long. And contenders are becoming pretenders, one by one.

And by the way, if you are (as I am) watching the power delay interrupting the Super Bowl game, you may be tempted to describe the halftime show or that 109 yard-kickoff return as having been "electrifying," I suggest that you go to your thesaurus to identify a more appropriate adjective.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Yup - I think barring collapse the pool is down to 5 teams Baylor, ND, Uconn, Stanford, Duke. With the way the pretender pool has been dropping games, all of the five could afford one slip-up without being dismissed. And given the strength of schedule issue, I think of the five Duke is the one on the outside looking in.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Yup - I think barring collapse the pool is down to 5 teams Baylor, ND, Uconn, Stanford, Duke. With the way the pretender pool has been dropping games, all of the five could afford one slip-up without being dismissed. And given the strength of schedule issue, I think of the five Duke is the one on the outside looking in.
So we are probably looking at a Stanford - Duke western regional 1-2 or 2-1 matchup.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Don't rule out Cal.

To me, ND is the surprise. I had UConn, Baylor, Duke, and Stanford in my pre-season Fonal Four.

When teams lose, it exposes weaknesses. But the keys are to be lucky and healthy and play your best ball in the postseason. The Super Bowl winner seems to be a wild card team almost every year now, not the team(s) that dominated the regular season. There may be far less parity in WCBB, but who gets hot in March is the key.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
So we are probably looking at a Stanford - Duke western regional 1-2 or 2-1 matchup.
Unless the NCAA has changed their rules for setting up regions (based on geography) Duke wouldn't be out west based on where they are today if they are a 2 seed. Now, if Stanford falls and Duke steps up to a #1, you probably nailed it.

That said, too much to play before a solid prediction can be made.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Don't rule out Cal.

Now, if Stanford falls and Duke steps up to a #1, you probably nailed it.

That said, too much to play before a solid prediction can be made.

By no means a solid prediction, just idle speculation. But what if (IF) Duke snags a #1 and goes to Spokane and plays Cal (top #2)? Wouldn't that conceivably set up a possible Stanford vs. Baylor rematch in Oklahoma? And from among Penn State, Maryland, Kentucky, Tennessee, etc., they could fill the #2 spots in Bridgeport and Norfolk.

On a separate note, I thought it was sad to see Coach Hatchell have her UNC team get stomped at home by rival Duke before a good crowd hoping to see her earn victory #900.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Important game among the pretenders tonight. PSU vs Purdue. ESPN2 at 7:00PM.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think Cal has the problem of the head to head lost to Duke. If Cal beats Stanford for the Pac10 title and Duke stumbles I guess they could be the 4th #1

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I certainly shed a tear:rolleyes:

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2
Don't mess with with Kib. A former special ops Ranger team will be dropping I to your backyard at 02:00. They will be the toughest septuagenarians you have ever met. Be afraid, be very afraid.

ocoandasoc

Fan of MizzoUConn
Reaction Score
If Cal runs the table and wins the Pac 12 Tourney they’ll have a shot at a #1 if Duke has another loss or two. Ditto for Duke if they win the rest of their games and the ACC Tourney… but they’ve got Maryland at least twice. Remember, of the three teams that would seem to be in contention for the final #1 seed, only Stanford has a win against a higher rated team (Baylor). Sure, I recognize that the circumstances of that game are stronger proof of Sims importance to the Baylor team than Stanford’s competence, but the Committee will overlook that – they’ll just be looking for a good reason to choose Stanford.
UConn can secure the overall #1 seed – all they have to do is beat Baylor once and ND twice without getting upset by a lesser team. ND would have to probably lose two games to teams other than UConn to fall out of a #1. MD, Penn State, Georgia and Kentucky are all long shots to get a #1. They’d need to win out and get a lot of help from a lot of teams above them.
Amazing that if not for Kentucky (barely) there wouldn't be an SEC team in the Top Ten. And, when the dust clears, that Conference's top team might be from a school that wasn't even in the Conference last year.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Good win for Penn State
Entertaining game, both teams defensively challenged.
Rankings were correct.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Who's the biggest threat to Duke left?
You might argue UConn has the toughest road, with Baylor AND ND... and mebbe ND again.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Who's the biggest threat to Duke left?
You might argue UConn has the toughest road, with Baylor AND ND... and mebbe ND again.

Two games vs Maryland and a home game vs Florida State. Duke won't lose in the ACC tourney.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Don't mess with with Kib. A former special ops Ranger team will be dropping I to your backyard at 02:00. They will be the toughest septuagenarians you have ever met. Be afraid, be very afraid.
He must have certain set of skills......

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I
UConn can secure the overall #1 seed – all they have to do is beat Baylor once and ND twice
That is going to be tough in itself. UCONN could conceivably still lose a #1 seed.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
That is going to be tough in itself. UCONN could conceivably still lose a #1 seed.
I actually think Uconn only really needs to beat ND once to get the #1 as long as they don't drop any other games. They will have the top SOS of any of the other teams in consideration, and losses only to what would be the #1 and #2 ranked teams. And the same would hold for ND if they were to lose twice to Uconn without dropping any other games.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I actually think Uconn only really needs to beat ND once to get the #1 as long as they don't drop any other games.
Sure, but the poster put forward beating ND twice and Baylor once, which I think is going to be tough to do. I think we can, not sure if we will though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom