Connecticut Sun not a good team... | The Boneyard

Connecticut Sun not a good team...

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
But the worst thing about watching the game was the camera work. It was horrible, and that's putting it mildly. They seem to think that camera angles of close ups from behind the basket with the camera whipping back and forth trying to follow the ball is much more entertaining than the normal angle from up high where you can see all the action. Awful awful camera work.

The Sun are just clueless. A ton of shots being jacked up that missed by a mile, and literally no team basketball. You'd think a team filled with UCONN alums would know how to play like a team.

arty155

Post Poster
Reaction Score
...The Sun are just clueless ...literally no team basketball. You'd think a team filled with UCONN alums would know how to play like a team.

-UCONN alums???
-The Sun's record reflects 'a team filled with UConn alums' seemed to know very well how to effectively play 'as a team' last year, and the year before that, etc...
-But this year, this disappointing year, including what you observed as 'clueless... no team basketball,' they seem to have a new head coach.
- Could the change in coaching be the real problem?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
no Mike T nor A Jones
Yeah but still, too much one on one crap, poor ball movement, poor positioning, just a mess. One play, i forget who was involved, but i think it was Pederson who set a screen, and Hightower went around her by 2 feet. Good grief - either set the screen closer to the player so she can actually USE it, or the player with the ball should run the defender into the screener. That's the whole purpose of that kind of play.

Then watching SA run the pick and roll, screen high, back door, rotate on offense, and get an open lay up for the offensive player - it was like night and day. I get no Jones, and she'd help a lot - Griffin looked just awful, and Monty jacked up one bad shot after another. It was like watching a high school game at times. (slight exaggeration!!) really disappointing as a fan...

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Yeah but still, too much one on one crap, poor ball movement, poor positioning, just a mess. One play, i forget who was involved, but i think it was Pederson who set a screen, and Hightower went around her by 2 feet. Good grief - either set the screen closer to the player so she can actually USE it, or the player with the ball should run the defender into the screener. That's the whole purpose of that kind of play.

Then watching SA run the pick and roll, screen high, back door, rotate on offense, and get an open lay up for the offensive player - it was like night and day. I get no Jones, and she'd help a lot - Griffin looked just awful, and Monty jacked up one bad shot after another. It was like watching a high school game at times. (slight exaggeration!!) really disappointing as a fan...
I understand your point... the "coach" isnt out there running the play. They are professionals and should play as such

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
As to the coaching - could be, but, to state the obvious, a lot of Sun fans certainly wanted a coaching change. I have always said that wishing for that is a form of "hoping". Hoping that the new coach has more success than the last one- no guarantees.

As to the style of play - I will continue to stick to Pat Coyle's sharing about the fact that pro players are "all good" - it is a different game than at the college level and duplicating college plays won't work. Teamwork is important; I would argue that in some cases, it isn't obvious that there is teamwork even when there is.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I didn't see the problem with Mike T... he got them close, I know its not the top but fresh let get rid of Tara and Muffett too (its been years)

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk 2

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I didn't see the problem with Mike T... he got them close, I know its not the top but fresh let get rid of Tara and Muffett too (its been years)

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk 2

I think Andy Landers is a better example. How long would it have taken a men's program to decide they'd had enough of a coach who regularly underachieves? Some coaches survive for years in women's college hoops with even worse resumes than him. Women's hoops is still a step child for a lot of schools that won't accept the same from men's hoop coaches.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I think Andy Landers is a better example. How long would it have taken a men's program to decide they'd had enough of a coach who regularly underachieves? Some coaches survive for years in women's college hoops with even worse resumes than him. Women's hoops is still a step child for a lot of schools that won't accept the same from men's hoop coaches.

Only a UConn fan thinks Andy's record is underachieving. All but about maybe 20 schools would die to have had Georgia's success in WBB (including, fwiw, Rutgers except for 2000). I differentiate Andy from Foster because Foster's teams underachieved in the post season based on their regular season. If there is any one characteristic of Andy's teams, in relative recent years they fell apart against Tennessee. Not too odd.

It would be difficult to make a case that a coaching change would guarantee better results, unless Geno want's to be a Bulldog.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Only a UConn fan thinks Andy's record is underachieving. All but about maybe 20 schools would die to have had Georgia's success in WBB (including, fwiw, Rutgers except for 2000). I differentiate Andy from Foster because Foster's teams underachieved in the post season based on their regular season. If there is any one characteristic of Andy's teams, in relative recent years they fell apart against Tennessee. Not too odd.

It would be difficult to make a case that a coaching change would guarantee better results, unless Geno want's to be a Bulldog.
If you think about it, it's not like Georgia was cashing in on top 10 recruits. In fact you'd have to go back to 2004 to find a top 10 recruit who chose Georgia - Angel Robinson. In 2007, their highest recruit was Carter at 21. 2008, none in the top 100. 2009, Hassell at #11. 2010 Ransford #21, 2011 none in top 100, 2012 Butler at #63, and 2013 Washington at #30.

In looking thru the ranked kids in HS and who they chose, Even schools like Ga Tech out recruited Georgia. Perhaps some can say Landers under achieved based on rankings and NCAA performance, like OSU, but it's hard to argue otherwise. In fact, based on recruiting, I'd say he's over achieved the past 10 years.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
If you think about it, it's not like Georgia was cashing in on top 10 recruits. In fact you'd have to go back to 2004 to find a top 10 recruit who chose Georgia - Angel Robinson. In 2007, their highest recruit was Carter at 21. 2008, none in the top 100. 2009, Hassell at #11. 2010 Ransford #21, 2011 none in top 100, 2012 Butler at #63, and 2013 Washington at #30.

In looking thru the ranked kids in HS and who they chose, Even schools like Ga Tech out recruited Georgia. Perhaps some can say Landers under achieved based on rankings and NCAA performance, like OSU, but it's hard to argue otherwise. In fact, based on recruiting, I'd say he's over achieved the past 10 years.

Which makes my point that most schools have higher expectations from the men's program. Landers has been the head coach for a very long time at a regularly top 20 program that never quite achieves ultimate success. And he isnt getting the recruits who can take him there. A men's coach would normally not last anywhere near that long. Modest success doesn't bring longevity at D1 men's colleges that aspire to national championships.

Reaction Score
Perhaps the Sun will get a decent lottery pick this year and use it to actually improve the team.

Reaction Score
I hate to be the guy who jumps in to deafened the UConn players blindly but..... Kelly is not playing worth beans, Renee has been hurt most the year. Green is not a star but I have liked her game. Tina is still Tina (the only real star they have) it is not the UCONN players sucking. Anne Donovan has been bad (and this is from a huge Storm fan). Injuries have been a problem but the team is underperforming.

I think Anne is most to blame. go back to Kelly not playing. If things are not working for your team, why are the young players not getting more time on the court? She honestly seems to have no idea how to come up with a new game plan when a team is outplaying the Sun.

AllAmerRedHeads

Barnstorming America author
Reaction Score
Coach Mike couldn't bring home the championship but I wish they kept him. Ann was a great player but not impressed here even when taking injuries into account

At some point is a change in the front office necessary? maybe its time for new faces.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Which makes my point that most schools have higher expectations from the men's program. Landers has been the head coach for a very long time at a regularly top 20 program that never quite achieves ultimate success. And he isnt getting the recruits who can take him there. A men's coach would normally not last anywhere near that long. Modest success doesn't bring longevity at D1 men's colleges that aspire to national championships.

While I sort of agree that schools love to switch coaches - the truth is, I'm not convinced they really accomplish anything.

I looked up Men's championships - 13 different teams in the last 20 years - those teams also account for over half the national runners-up in the same period. In fact, since 1939, only 14 schools have won more than one national championship - 9 of them were among the 13 that have won championships in the last 20 years.

Less teams have won Women's championships. I don't particularly care for Andy, but I remain unconvinced that there is any likelihood that a replacement would be more successful.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
While I sort of agree that schools love to switch coaches - the truth is, I'm not convinced they really accomplish anything.

I looked up Men's championships - 13 different teams in the last 20 years - those teams also account for over half the national runners-up in the same period. In fact, since 1939, only 14 schools have won more than one national championship - 9 of them were among the 13 that have won championships in the last 20 years.

Less teams have won Women's championships. I don't particularly care for Andy, but I remain unconvinced that there is any likelihood that a replacement would be more successful.

Couple if things. I was really responding to Daddycjocs comment about Tara and Muffet who I wouldn't think of replacing as opposed to Landers who in theory has had the goods on his team but never really threatened very often to win it all. Plus he doesn't rake in enough top local talent. You didn't see Maya aspiring to be a Bulldog nor Brianna Banks for that matter.

But the real difference is in the schools that keep coaches with hardly any success for years longer than their men's program ever would. Maybe that's because there isn't great depth in available coaching talent, but I suspect it has more to do with lower interest in the women's level of success. I think that is changing in recent years with a little more turnover. Someone like Hatchell might be a better example than Landers among the more successful coach who almost always has a lot if talent that often looks in coached. Or a Harry Perrrta who plays a style that will never contend for a NC. Villanova would not put up with that from a men's. coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom