Congratulations to the Miss State Fans | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Congratulations to the Miss State Fans

Reaction Score
I was definitely rooting for Miss State last night. First, because it’s their first team title in any sport. Second, Miss State is a great baseball program and was long overdue. Lastly, I really dislike Vanderbilt baseball… for various reasons that if you’re a college baseball fan you probably already know why. I can pretty much guarantee you most SEC baseball fans were rooting for State last night.

Congrats Dawg fans. Hail State.
Yes congrats to Miss State. I just started following college baseball - can you tell me why Vandy is not liked?? Thanks.

Reaction Score
Yes congrats to Miss State. I just started following college baseball - can you tell me why Vandy is not liked?? Thanks.
People get ticked because they have a scholarship advantage over other schools that helps them in recruiting. Baseball is one of the NCAA sports where full scholarships are not given to all players, but Vanderbilt has a scholarship program called Opportunity Vanderbilt that allows them to give all their baseball players a full scholarship. They are able to do this because Opportunity Vanderbilt is a available to all students- not just athletes.

They are doing what is allowed and would be stupid not to take advantage of this. Other schools would do it if they could, but they'd have to be a smaller school with a big endowment to fund all of it. People just get ticked because Vandy is able to recruit all of these blue chip athletes. But Tim Corbin is a really good coach.

Reaction Score
Congratulations on winning your first national title in any sport. Since State got no-contested, I was pulling for yall to beat Vandy. Hopefully now yall will lay off Coach Mccray for a bit, and enjoy this championship. Now the only two Power 5 schools without a national title in any sport are Kansas State and VPI.
Thanks! I feel like I might not be on edge as much as a State fan anymore. Maybe I can enjoy some games a little more.

Reaction Score
People get ticked because they have a scholarship advantage over other schools that helps them in recruiting. Baseball is one of the NCAA sports where full scholarships are not given to all players, but Vanderbilt has a scholarship program called Opportunity Vanderbilt that allows them to give all their baseball players a full scholarship. They are able to do this because Opportunity Vanderbilt is a available to all students- not just athletes.

They are doing what is allowed and would be stupid not to take advantage of this. Other schools would do it if they could, but they'd have to be a smaller school with a big endowment to fund all of it. People just get ticked because Vandy is able to recruit all of these blue chip athletes. But Tim Corbin is a really good coach.
Interesting.....I honestly didn't know this was a thing. It makes sense why Vandy can recruit so many top athletes to its program, not to mention the education is terrific. I don't "dislike" Vandy other than the fact their whistling fan guy is incredibly annoying, whereas our fan base just rings cowbells that are music to the ears. :).

Reaction Score
Interesting.....I honestly didn't know this was a thing. It makes sense why Vandy can recruit so many top athletes to its program, not to mention the education is terrific. I don't "dislike" Vandy other than the fact their whistling fan guy is incredibly annoying, whereas our fan base just rings cowbells that are music to the ears. :).
In theory, any school could do something like Opportunity Vanderbilt. In practice, it doesn't work because a school with 20,000+ students cannot afford to offer every student a scholarship. That's the catch. You have to be able to offer every student the money. Opportunity Vanderbilt is basically like a sliding scale for tuition.

They also enroll athletes that don't meet their admission requirements at Peabody College, which they own. I'm not as familiar with that process though.

Reaction Score

Thanks so much for the explanation. I didn’t realize that advantage. All I’ve ever heard was if Vandy recruited you, you went.

Reaction Score
Let's not go there. We had our chances and blew a huge lead. Arike made a shot for the ages. I too was devastated initially but it came down to some crucial mistakes and great plays by ND.

I'm celebrating and I don't care for baseball nearly as much as football or basketball. We were long overdue. I've had to watch SEC programs like Alabama football, Kentucky basketball, LSU and Vanderbilt baseball, and also the LVs and SC win titles while our men and women couldn't compete with those programs most years.

I watched from home, wearing Maroon with my cowbell next to me. Several coworkers and friends here in Georgia were pulling for MSU last night because we've never won a title in any sport. That was a big part of my 2018 disappointment, I wasn't sure we would have many chances in my lifetime to win something.

Hail State!! I'll be smiling for the next few days. However, I will stay on NMP if there isn't vast improvement this year.

dear Ray Tanner:

you own the CWS record for consecutive wins, won two titles in a row, played a championship series for a third in a row and you're evidently forgotten.

hope you have enjoyed your post retirement hobby.

Reaction Score
Thanks so much for the explanation. I didn’t realize that advantage. All I’ve ever heard was if Vandy recruited you, you went.

folks kind of act like they set up just to be good in sports, but I'm not sure the Univerairy really cares.

corbin has done an outstanding job recruiting and building relationships and reputation for protecting his players interests.

the so called advantage hasn't done much for any of the other coaches there.

also, those schools with lottery funded scholarships have had similar advantages in past and still do. It's all relative.

Reaction Score
State is now hiring a D3 men’s coach from Minnesota as an asst coach. He has no experience coaching women. He has a good but not exceptional record in <10 yrs in D3. Never made the NCAAs as far as I can tell.
:confused:

Reaction Score
State is now hiring a D3 men’s coach from Minnesota as an asst coach. He has no experience coaching women. He has a good but not exceptional record in <10 yrs in D3. Never made the NCAAs as far as I can tell.
:confused:
I just read his bio. Very eclectic resume. He played tennis at University of Tennessee and coached tennis too.
E2348111-446C-4025-A402-BDF8183EF6DF.png

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
In terms of wrestling, if I can count correctly (debatable at midnight), I believe that Iowa State has 8 championships.

Some wrestling title counts:

Oklahoma State: 34

Iowa: 24

Penn State: 9

Iowa State: 8

Oklahoma: 7

Everyone else combined: 8

Domination by 5 schools!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors