Congratulations Huskies on a Great Season | The Boneyard

Congratulations Huskies on a Great Season

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
No WBB fan wanted to see the season end this way, but it is obvious there are issues far greater than whether or not the Big Dance takes place this year. With that said, I want to extend my congratulations to UConn’s players and coaches for treating all of us to another great season of UConn WBB. It’s a testimony to UConn’s continuing success that some fans consider winning the conference championship with a 29-3 record to be disappointing.

If I suggested at the start of the season that UConn would win the last game of the season along with a championship, UConn fans would have been ecstatic. I know, this wouldn’t have been the championship you had in mind. But it’s always nice to end the season on a high note, and the Huskies dominating performance in the AAC championship tournament was a nice way to end an otherwise preempted season.

Facing the challenge of dealing with a global pandemic, the impact of canceling the rest of the basketball season is relatively insignificant. But there is certainly some sadness associated with the abrupt end of the season.

Crystal and the rest of the senior class will be the first graduating class not to win a championship during their 4 years at UConn since the 2008 class. While UConn was certainly not the favorite to win this year, you can be certain that Crystal would have given everything she had in an effort to add “National Champion” to her remarkable basketball resume.

In another post I also lamented that should the season end without an NCAA tournament, UConn’s all-time record of consecutive seasons with 30 or more wins would also end at the remarkable total of 14 seasons in a row, just a 1st round win short in the Big Dance. Here again, there are far more important issues than winning basketball games.

This March will be a strange month for UConn WBB fans wondering what to do with themselves. I’m going to watch replays of these wonderful young ladies go 29-3 and then start looking forward to next season, when I fully expect the Huskies will begin a new streak of 30+ win seasons, with a team absolutely capable of bringing home a 12th National championship to Storrs.

Last edited:

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I believe that the Seniors will not get to enjoy the end of season dinner either this year. I really feel sorry for the five great young ladies that are departing this year. Thanks to Crystal Dangerfield, Kyla, Molly, Batouly, and Evelyn for a great 2019 - 2020 season.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I believe that the Seniors will not get to enjoy the end of season dinner either this year. I really feel sorry for the five great young ladies that are departing this year. Thanks to Crystal Dangerfield, Kyla, Molly, Batouly, and Evelyn for a great 2019 - 2020 season.
If the formal senior dinner is off, I suspect Casa Auriemma, with Chef Kathy will be available to host a team dinner, and the food will be much better.

Reaction Score
Well.......They are probably more sorry that they cannot play than we are to watch. It is what it is. I can honestly say that they did better than I expected. And, that the improvement that occurred in the last games of the season demonstrated UConn basketball that I had come to appreciate. Hats off and a big salute to the players for a final ending with a great championship. Now......moving forward to next season and the Big East and the new players that will be joining UConn. Championship season coming folks. Get ready for it.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
This is a weird, weird feeling.

We are used to seeing every season culminate in the NCAA tournament. The last time Geno, Chris and Company didn't make the NCAAs was 1988, their 3rd year in Storrs.

All 31 seasons since then ended in either a national title (11 times, to be exact) or a loss. This season ended with a win, but ...

My heart goes out to Crystal and the other seniors. It would've been so fun to see them experience the tournament together and respond to the challenge. Undoubtedly they worked very, very hard and they showed tremendous improvement. Spirits on the team remained high, by all accounts, despite the well-publicized adversity. The interviews and Senior Day experiences with Batouly, Evelyn, Kyla, Molly and Crystal really spoke to the caliber of these young women and the culture that Geno has built.

Reaction Score
oldude et al: Wonderful thread; and you can't be ALL that old, because you beat me by about three hours on setting up a "Thank You" thread, and I run most days a week , All stay well and anticipate next year. Will be here sooner than you imagine.

Reaction Score
UConn women's basketball...the gift that keeps on giving, year after year. We are blessed to be able to watch how each year the young incoming freshmen accept the challenge and in four years turn into confident, articulate, well-rounded seniors. And pretty good basketball players too.;)

Reaction Score
No WBB fan wanted to see the season end this way, but it is obvious there are issues far greater than whether or not the Big Dance takes place this year. With that said, I want to extend my congratulations to UConn’s players and coaches for treating all of us to another great season of UConn WBB. It’s a testimony to UConn’s continuing success that some fans consider winning the conference championship with a 29-3 record to be disappointing.

If I suggested at the start of the season that UConn would win the last game of the season along with a championship, UConn fans would have been ecstatic. I know, this wouldn’t have been the championship you had in mind. But it’s always nice to end the season on a high note, and the Huskies dominating performance in the AAC championship tournament was a nice way to end an otherwise preempted season.

Facing the challenge of dealing with a global pandemic, the impact of canceling the rest of the basketball season is relatively insignificant. But there is certainly some sadness associated with the abrupt end of the season.

Crystal and the rest of the senior class will be the first graduating class not to win a championship during their 4 years at UConn since the 2008 class. While UConn was certainly not the favorite to win this year, you can be certain that Crystal would have given everything she had in an effort to add “National Champion” to her remarkable basketball resume.

In another post I also lamented that should the season end without an NCAA tournament, UConn’s all-time record of consecutive seasons with 30 or more wins would also end at the remarkable total of 14 seasons in a row, just a 1st round win short in the Big Dance. Here again, there are far more important issues than winning basketball games.

This March will be a strange month for UConn WBB fans wondering what to do with themselves. I’m going to watch replays of these wonderful young ladies go 29-3 and then start looking forward to next season, when I fully expect the Huskies will begin a new streak of 30+ win seasons, with a team absolutely capable of bringing home a 12th National championship to Storrs.

Starting the shoulda, coulda, woulda specultations with a clear field, unencumbered by rankings and Creme's crazy bracketology, we had a real chance at the brass ring. Thanks to all the departing seniors who put it all out there, four years of superlative effort and production. Thanks to Geno, CD, Shea and the late spark from Jamelle. See you next year.

wbball novice

That bandwagon guy
Reaction Score
I'll miss watching all of the team playing some more games this season. I'll also miss watching their potential opponents with so many remarkable, outstanding players.

I was looking forward to Christyn getting back in rhythm, as seemed to be the case in the last game of the conference tournament, though this seemed to have already begun in the later games of the regular season.

I'm glad I was able to see most of the games Crystal played in over the years; missing a handful at the end of her career won't spoil my memories, even when the DVR eventually fails. Oddly, one of my fondest memories is of her doing her UConn homework on the HBO special. Or maybe it was her unsuccessful but gallant attempts to keep the team in the game against some of the top teams in the NCAA. Thank you, Crystal Dangerfield.

The AAC tournament showed how the remarkable improvement of the individual players over the season: Megan's tremendous improvement, Aubrey's defense & her offensive improvement, Liv's offense starting to rival her defense, Anna's breakout 3's and her unexpected passing gifts. I'm glad Evelyn and Batouly eventually got a chance to play. Seeing Kyla and Molly's blossoming 3 pt shooting. Kyla must have mixed feelings about no longer missing the NCAA tournament due to injury. She gave her all in what turned out to be the last game of UConn's season.

139-0! Sometimes Boneyarders could have shown more respect for their AAC opponents. There were lots of competitive games and even the weaker teams had their bright moments. 139-0 meant something because the AAC came to play.

Thinking about the future, I look forward to seeing several familiar faces playing again next year, assuming the pandemic situation is considered to be under control. I couldn't focus on anyone incoming during the season -- seemed a little disrespectful to this season's players who were giving their best. But now it may be something to anticipate, though the future is uncertain. Which is a little like sports.

The cancellation is tough for all the players, UConn and the other teams, those who had a chance at the national championship, those who would have just been thrilled just to play in the tournament. But if I had to choose between losing a sports opportunity, but being still in my twenties & in peak health, inspiring so many kids, or being 70 with most of the "underlying conditions," I'd go with the former.

Reaction Score
While I never considered UConn to be as good as some of their fans hoped them to be, they did have a successful season in my book. Whether it would have been good enough to make the final four or be long-shot contenders for the title, I think reasonable people would conclude that they improved quite a bit during the season. This was especially evident with respect to the freshman. They still had and have yet a lot of ceiling left to grow into. This was not necessarily true of every non-frosh player.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I’m sorry the season ended when the team was really coming into its own. I think they had a realistic, albeit slim chance to win it all. I can’t wait for (alleged) next year and 2021. I wanna see Paige in Storrs.

I’m impressed with the coaching job Geno et al. did this year, and with how hard the players worked to improve. I was disappointed with how they played early in the season, but impressed with how they grew.

I’m also curious to see how things with Jasmine resolve. I hope whatever happens makes all involved happy. I’d love to see Jamelle back, but that‘s exceedingly unlikely. I’ve been astounded with Liv’s development in the last few weeks.

Reaction Score
Thank you Geno, CD, staff, and ladies for another great season. It was a fun rollercoaster ride which ended sooner than expected. The curiosity will always linger of what could've been but I completely understand the cautionary measures that had to be taken to not compromise the health and safety of our student athletes. I really sympathize however with our seniors who wont get the chance to compete for that elusive 1st NC. COVID-19 may be wearing the crown this year but we have the talent returning and arriving next year to bring it back to Storrs where it rightfully belongs :cool:

Reaction Score
I would also like to thank these fine young ladies for the four years they have given all of us fans. We will miss you all!! Thank you to the entire team and coaching staff for a great and enjoyable season, would have liked to have watched them all in the post season but still very happy and thankful for the season. Good luck to the seniors!! Have a great post season to the rest of the team and coaching staff, looking forward already to next season. Be safe. Go UCONN!!!

Reaction Score
It was wonderful that the AAC got to have the WBB tournament completed before the cancellation of March Madness and so many other conference championships. The Huskies had a chance to win their seventh straight regular season and tournament championships. The joy expressed by the players at the trophy presentations, confetti, showers, and just plain fun was a great way to end this abbreviated season. So proud of the Huskies!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think the Huskies had an excellent season. 29-3, ranked 4th/5th, and undefeated in the conference is really good. It doesn't look so good only when compared to some past UConn seasons. The team struggled at times, but seemed to find themselves a few weeks ago. Everyone got better, Crystal led them, and Meg played like an All-American. Congrats on an excellent season!!

I feel for the players for not getting a chance to continue and show everyone how much better they got after the 3 losses. I hope everyone accepts the way the season ended and stays healthy. Thanks to Crystal, Kyla, Molly, Batouly, and Evelyn for being Huskies. You all left your mark in one way or another.

Regarding the underclassmen, I hope that next season is not affected by Covid-19. Whenever play resumes, HuskyNation will be with you.

Reaction Score
I’m really proud of these ladies and an incredible job by the coaching staff. Exceeded my expectations as a fan this year. It’s a shame we couldn’t see where the chips may fall in the tournament but I’m really really really excited to watch next years team.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom