Congrats to Stanford | The Boneyard

Congrats to Stanford

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
yeah you could tell it was early in the year.... the gears are not fluid now.....

Total Congratulations to Stanford on a well earned victory...... lot of admiration for Tara..... a very good coach and not afraid to play us

Reaction Score
Congratulations to Stanford, they played tough throughout the entire game.

Reaction Score
I guess it really shows you how much of a guard's game WCBB was. I have every confidence that UCONN should repeat barring an injury to Stewert, but Orrange and Thompson were simply better than UConn's guards.

Reaction Score
They played very hard and very well. Showed a lot of grit.
I agree! I just wish UConn hadn't helped them so much but no one can take away that Stanford played hard and with high energy all game long.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
UConn just couldn't contain Stanford off the dribble. Offensively, this team sure misses Dolson making those foul line jumpers to open things up. Kiah never looked at the basket. Stanford clogged the middle, face guarded KML and only Saniya was able to make perimeter shots. Moriah had a terrible shooting night.

Lots of credit to Stanford but I don't want to ever hear Tara complain about physical play again, though I'm sure she will.

Did we really expect UConn not to lose again? It happens. Lots of work to do defensively and offensively. This team will be fine.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Great game for WCBB. Great job by Stanford. This is the way it should be when big time programs play on the big stage... super competitive.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Is Stanford the new Number One? They're undefeated, and they beat #1, so I say give it them. They looked unbeatable tonight. I hope Katy isn't having second thoughts.

Reaction Score
Have to give the Tara all the credit. Her kids played a very tough ball
game and showed some real toughness. This loss will pay dividends
for the rest of the season. We will be back and stronger because of this.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
UConn just couldn't contain Stanford off the dribble. Offensively, this team sure misses Dolson making those foul line jumpers to open things up. Kiah never looked at the basket. Stanford clogged the middle, face guarded KML and only Saniya was able to make perimeter shots. Moriah had a terrible shooting night.

Lots of credit to Stanford but I don't want to ever hear Tara complain about physical play again, though I'm sure she will.

Did we really expect UConn not to lose again? It happens. Lots of work to do defensively and offensively. This team will be fine.

I completely agree Cat. You are the voice of reason, as always.

Reaction Score
Biggest congratulations to Stanford. They played tough and executed their game plan.

I think we as Uconn fans are generally very spoiled. After two national championships; a second undefeated season and a NC seem like a given. We proclaim players future AA without them ever playing a basketball game, and fail to truly evaluate the impact losing two great seniors has had. As seasoned as we are, we are very young. Kiah and Saniya are playing vastly different roles, Morgan is coming off of a year off, and we have four freshman. The team will only get better from here and will be in good shape come March but our defense looked bad and our reliance on the 3 point shot is troublesome.

I think this game was a much needed reality check for all fans of wcbb and made a statement that this season is open for the taking. I look forward to a season filled with parity and hope Uconn comes away on top.

Reaction Score
. Kiah never looked at the basket. .

Actually she did. Once. With 90 seconds to go she decides to take a 15 footer early in the shot clock. She misses, and the shot was so bad that it leads yo a UConn foul and 2 Stanford free throws. Without that, Stanford doesn't come back.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
They played very hard and very well. Showed a lot of grit.
and considerable pluckiness... oops wrong board.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Great win by Stanford and they showed the other elite teams how to beat UConn. Face guard Kaleena and don't let her setup for her shots. Geno has to devise some pick plays that will enable her to get open more. Also KML needs to get to the Free Throw line by creating her shots. Poor decision down the stretch in regulation and OT and Stanford had the players that were able to take advantage.

Reaction Score
Wow! new system. new players. What a coach (and guards). Now that our feet are back on the ground it will be nice to not read about our invincibility and beating everyone by 30 (of course the AAC will be diff.). Would not be surprise if ND and SC are also toss-ups. However, starting from 'O' is just what this team need- it was never last year's team. It is in the fight just like others-- win some- lose some.

Sakibomb25

Yamasaki Let the Good Times Roll
Reaction Score
Wow. I am stunned that Stanford beat UConn. No Ogwumike, new offense, and relatively inexperienced post players looked like a UConn blowout, even if it was on The Farm. Great job by Stanford for showing everyone that once again, games are played on the court and not on paper.

UConn will be so much better come April, but Stanford will improve as well. What a great start to the season!

Reaction Score
So, how much do recruiting rankings really mean?

From the players that played on Stanford..
http://espn.go.com/high-school/girls-basketball/story/_/id/5731736/consensus-top-100-2011

SR
Amber Orrange #21 Consensus
Taylor Greenfield #24 Consensus
Bonnie Samuelson #35 Consensus

SO
Lili Thompson: BS #107, HG Not in top 100, rated 3 Stars
Erica McCall: BS#14, HG #11, ASGR #11, FC #10
Kailee Johnson: BS#16, HG #20, FC #9
Karlie Samuelson: BS #70, HG #77
Briana Roberson: BS #193

FR
Kaylee Johnson: BS #127, HG #30, ASGR #107 (looks like Olson may have actually got this one right!!)

I think this just shows you what a difference coaching makes. Look at Tenn, Duke, Rutgers with all the Top talent. Obviously rankings do count, especially if you get #1 and #2 recruits, but I think this really illustrates how much of an impact having a good coach does.

Chong wasn't rated high either, and played great. So, definitely don't sleep on Irwin because she's not rated high.

Last edited:

Gate81

'Gate Grad Likes Cardinal & UConn Best
Reaction Score
think the key is that it is good for WBB, and will help both teams improve from playing one another. I saw it on TV and kept expecting UConn to put it away but the 2 Stanford guards are tougher than anyone in the country knows unless like me you live in the Bay area. Chong's shots were great but as the announcers said, her defense was a liability and Orrange blew past her -- and she's not as fast as Thompson. Challenge for UConn isn't that one game was lost but that the playbook will be viewed by ND and SC. It will, however, make the year more interesting and fun, and I'm sure UConn will learn from it and not be rerouted from its NC path.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I mentioned in my preview that Stanford had terrific guards but I thought they would be worn down…boy was i wrong about that.
The opposite happened.

Aside from the guards, the Samuelson lasses played a really wonderful game. In previous meetings they were just window dressing.
I think Tara may have miscalculated in not finding their worth earlier. Sure sprung them on us tonight.

It was a great game and they deserved to win but there were currents that could be seen in UConn's 3 warmups.

1. Moriah doesn't seem right. Was it not only a few weeks ago that she was wearing a boot? I wouldn't be surprised if she's far less than 1
100% And if so, that takes away an important dimension to our squad…fewer steals for example.

2. We all want Kiah to step in and be Stef, well it may not happen (or at least right away). I've felt for a while that when she turns
around in the high post and there is no one there, she has to rumble a bee-line to the bucket; never happened, reminded me of Ariel
Braker in the title game.

3. Morgan is still a bit rusty…That's one thing that will take care of itself. She was a monster in the overtime. Perhaps, even likely we would
have won if she didn't foul out.

4, No one player can win by themselves, even Stewie.

5. Geno had some problems, as did the team when he returned from the last Olympics; to a lesser extent it could be happening again.
He hardly had a week off and bang, practice starts, Even he's human, like the rest of us. He never had a chance to observe the kids, even
if he can't coach them, just getting to better know their capabilities is more than useful.

6. This season (to date) UConn is more of a finesse team and Tara realized it and played a tough physical game. Clearly the refs assisted
her in this by letting her kids get away with some mugging of Stewie, but she couldn't have known that in advance. The refs didn't call
a good or even a fair game game but I don't want to hear that that was the difference; we were outplayed.

7. I'm not sure why K didn't' play better; we'll all have to go to the tape to try to figure it out. Too bad. I suspect
it won't happen often.

8. One thing for sure; the vaunted UConn help D was nowhere in sight when needed down the stretch. If we're giving up layups like we did
near the end, we don't deserve to win. Think Notre Dame 2 seasons ago in the semi's; nothing, but nothing easy.

9. Chong and Nurse acquitted themselves well in general. They'll be fine. nurse might have played just a bit more off the one she was
guarding

A tough loss, a surprising loss, even shocking. it will be interesting to see how coach is able to pick this team off the mat to destroy Notre Dame and South Carolina.

Reaction Score
I was at the game. The place was really LOUD, and it seemed to affect UCONN-they looked tentative when it got the loudest. Stanford set a lot of hard ball screens, and Kia Nurse followed the ball pretty well in spite of getting pummeled by continual screens. Moriah couldn't get through the screens, so Kia was the only other option. Breanna got roughed up a lot-with, and without the ball, but didn't get any calls. She was tired late in regulation. But then the refs would call the smallest foul when a guard was headed to the basket-Stanford knew this and exploited it, but UCONN didn't. In the end, UCONN missed too many easy shots. A very good win for Stanford.

ocoandasoc

Fan of MizzoUConn
Reaction Score
What a confidence builder for Stanford and their new offense. I think Tara and the upper classmen were just tired of losing to UConn. Great game plan, great execution, great home crowd.

So much for inevitability. Is Stanford's new offense really that good? Or is UConn's vaunted defense showing some deficiencies? Probably a bit of both. The huskies are obviously not immune to "deer in the headlight" syndrome. Still, Stanford shot 50% from both 2 and 3 point range (40 for UConn), out-rebounded the Huskies, and still needed overtime to win.

Interesting that Stanford had 9 players with double digit minutes while UConn only played 7. I guess only Nurse of all the freshmen is ready for prime time. (Hard to think of her as a freshman, though, with her Canadian national team experience.)

WNBA folks were in the stands to see KML... who looked like a spectator herself for much of the game. She better score 30+ every game if she's going to play defense that poorly. Stanford took her out of the game both offensively and defensively. Stokes has a way to go to fill Dolson's shoes. There may be a leadership void as well. And as good as Jefferson is she won't be a truly great point guard until she becomes a more consistent offensive threat.

UConn will use this though, just like Mulkey will use the loss tonight to Kentucky.

Kudos to Stanford for scheduling tough out-of-conference games early in the season. They should be the new #1, but since it was a road loss UConn might not drop far. Hard to say that Tenn or SoCar or ND are better than Stanford based on who and how they've played. (But watch out, they MIGHT be!)

Who said Stanford was ranked too high at #6? This season is off to a GREAT start. Things shouldn't be decided in November. That's what March and April are for.

Reaction Score
I agree congrats to Stanford. I'm stunned hwo we cracked. But we'll bounce back. Great job Stanford.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
What a confidence builder for Stanford and their new offense. I think Tara and the upper classmen were just tired of losing to UConn. Great game plan, great execution, great home crowd.

So much for inevitability. Is Stanford's new offense really that good? Or is UConn's vaunted defense showing some deficiencies? Probably a bit of both. The huskies are obviously not immune to "deer in the headlight" syndrome. Still, Stanford shot 50% from both 2 and 3 point range (40 for UConn), out-rebounded the Huskies, and still needed overtime to win.

Interesting that Stanford had 9 players with double digit minutes while UConn only played 7. I guess only Nurse of all the freshmen is ready for prime time. (Hard to think of her as a freshman, though, with her Canadian national team experience.)

WNBA folks were in the stands to see KML... who looked like a spectator herself for much of the game. She better score 30+ every game if she's going to play defense that poorly. Stanford took her out of the game both offensively and defensively. Stokes has a way to go to fill Dolson's shoes. There may be a leadership void as well. And as good as Jefferson is she won't be a truly great point guard until she becomes a more consistent offensive threat.

UConn will use this though, just like Mulkey will use the loss tonight to Kentucky.

Kudos to Stanford for scheduling tough out-of-conference games early in the season. They should be the new #1, but since it was a road loss UConn might not drop far. Hard to say that Tenn or SoCar or ND are better than Stanford based on who and how they've played. (But watch out, they MIGHT be!)

Who said Stanford was ranked too high at #6? This season is off to a GREAT start. Things shouldn't be decided in November. That's what March and April are for.

Well said.

The leadership void was pretty apparent. Teams sometimes figure out who the leaders are through adversity. We'll see what happens. The poor execution down the stretch was stunning.

Agree completely on Kaleena. Even her passing was tentative; she was late in getting the ball to Stewie on a possession late in the game and the pass was stolen.

Moriah just played poorly. Some of her shots didn't even hit iron.

The defense does miss Stef and Bria and may not be as good as last year. Still, I'm not going to over-react to playing an offense like Stanford's tonight which is not something they see a lot. I would expect a much better job defending Stanford if the two teams meet again down the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom