Congrats to ND | The Boneyard

Congrats to ND

Status
Not open for further replies.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Bottom line, they won.

I underestimated ND...again...lol. I'm sure I'll do it again in the future. McGraw is a hell of a coach and deserves all the credit.

A loss to learn from (hopefully).

And I'll still do the "Uconn in the news" tomorrow morning. As painful as it will be to paste all those headline!!

Reaction Score
Well said...one must take off one's hat to ND , which is hard for me...Of all the teams to which we might lose, I hate losing to them the most. But they came into our house and beat us with a great game plan. McGraw knows how to play us...we've shown that we are vulnerable to a loss of composure in very physical games, and Muffitt duly capitalized. And they did what we failed to do...make open shots with consistency. They play hard-nosed and tough, and I admire them for that. On top of all that, they have some real blue-chip recruits coming in, and are going to be tough for a long time. Obviously, this is a game that could have gone either way, but we just missed a boatload of shot opportunities, and they're too good to allow us to get away with that.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
They are confident, mentally tough, and play a smart game. I have never seen any other team play us as tough over an 8-game span.

But I really dislike them. My prerogative.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

LOL. That's okay; you've got company. Diggins strutted around after the game and I guess she's entitled. She's beaten UConn a lot over the past 2 years.

UConn had a player who did that a couple of times. But she graduated with 3 rings.

Reaction Score
I said before the game that Notre Dame has been beating UConn for a reason and deserves respect and recognition, and they proved that again today. And they've been beating UConn at it's own game. They haven't out run or out jumped the Huskies. They've played better basketball, and I personally can't hate them because of that. It would be a whole lot better if I could hate them, but instead they pass well and play together unselfishly.

Reaction Score
I said before the game that Notre Dame has been beating UConn for a reason and deserves respect and recognition, and they proved that again today. And they've been beating UConn at it's own game. They haven't out run or out jumped the Huskies. They've played better basketball, and I personally can't hate them because of that. It would be a whole lot better if I could hate them, but instead they pass well and play together unselfishly.

I thought I would never say this in a million years, but I now hate Notre Dame more then I hate Tennessee. I'm glad that we will in all probability never play them again in the regular season after this year.

Reaction Score
I thought I would never say this in a million years, but I now hate Notre Dame more then I hate Tennessee. I'm glad that we will in all probability never play them again in the regular season after this year.
I read yesterday that the ND games will resume in the future- that the acc approached ND about continuing the series and both schools agreed.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
I read yesterday that the ND games will resume in the future- that the acc approached ND about continuing the series and both schools agreed.

Can you tell me where you read that?

It seems to be in conflict with this sentence at ESPNW:
McGraw said after the game that she hopes to continue the rivalry but has been told by Connecticut it isn't feasible for at least the next two seasons.

I'm pursuing some things, and would like to be current on the plans.

Reaction Score

McGraw said after the game that she hopes to continue the rivalry but has been told by Connecticut it isn't feasible for at least the next two seasons.

John Altavilla tweeted it last night...

RoyDodger

Retired in the Southwest
Reaction Score
They are confident, mentally tough, and play a smart game. I have never seen any other team play us as tough over an 8-game span.

Couldn't agree more. I thought it was interesting that Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis, who seems to be a real leader on the team, was quoted by Rich Elliott as saying "It's more of a mental thing for us. We've got to know that we are a strong and confident team. We've got to go out there and act like it. And we don't really act like it out there."

And then there's Kelly Faris who is quoted by Elliott as follows: “Personally, I take responsibility for this game,’’ Faris said. “I don’t just say that because it sounds like I should say that. As a leader on the team I’m supposed to set the tone. And, defensively, I didn’t do that. And I think that’s usually what’s expected of me, and McBride got any shot she wanted and she hit almost every single one of them."

Elliott's blog which quotes Kelly.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

UConn's OOC schedule (for what that's worth given the uncertainty surrounding its conference) for next season is set. Reports are that a game vs ND will happen but not until '14-'15 or the following year.

UConn has no idea what its conference is going to look like next year and I get the sense it's not feeling too interested in scheduling those who chose to abandon the BE, particularly ND. That will change.

Reaction Score
@jaltavilla: #UConnwomen have told Notre Dame they want to continue, but likely won't have room for two seasons #acc #bigeast

Reaction Score
@jaltavilla: #ndwbb coach Muffet McGraw says #ACC had approached her program about continuing #UConnwomen series.

Reaction Score
Well said...one must take off one's hat to ND , which is hard for me...Of all the teams to which we might lose, I hate losing to them the most. But they came into our house and beat us with a great game plan. McGraw knows how to play us...we've shown that we are vulnerable to a loss of composure in very physical games, and Muffitt duly capitalized. And they did what we failed to do...make open shots with consistency. They play hard-nosed and tough, and I admire them for that. On top of all that, they have some real blue-chip recruits coming in, and are going to be tough for a long time. Obviously, this is a game that could have gone either way, but we just missed a boatload of shot opportunities, and they're too good to allow us to get away with that.
I agree with the major thrust of your remarks but they didn't make open shots consistently, they shot somewhere around 36% which isn't very good at all. You hold a team to under 40% shooting and you have a wonderful chance of being successful and win. Unfortunately, we didn't shoot a whole lot better, a percentage point or two!

huskybill

RIP, huskybill
Reaction Score

I don't get it. Why did you put "but" in that sentence?

Reaction Score
1. Although UConn did not play great, they played well enough to win. When UConn plays more close games, they will find a way to pull them out. Let's face it, there have not been too many close games over the last six seasons.
2. It is incredible how much credit is given to Coach McGraw. She deserves her share, but she did not win the game. Presently, she is coaching the Big East Player of the Year. That goes a long way.
3. The difference, IMO, was Kayla McBride. She is smooth. And it benefits Notre Dame considerably that she is a guard that can slash and create her own offensive opportunities.
4. Skylar Diggins did not dominate, but made the two big threes and the free throws. She got her butt handed to her in Gampel as a freshman. However, she has come back stronger and is a consumate competitor.
Note: Look out for any player who does not play well in a Notre Dame-UConn contest.
5. No one dislikes Notre Dame more than I do. However, my abhorrence has been tempered of late by the addition of Niele Ivey to their coaching staff. I am going to miss her.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I don't get it. Why did you put "but" in that sentence?

I don't get it. Why did you "but in"?

Good to see you back, Bill!

Now it's time for Daddy Choc to stand roll call!

Reaction Score
If it's any consolation, the window of time for ND glory is rather small.

Tomorrow their football team will be decided underdogs in the football big "bs" game. Given football's hallowed status, whether ND wins or loses the football game, the women's bb win against us will be relegated to yesterday's news status.

All glory is fleeting :-/

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
All of this hate stuff, Diggins, ND, is childish.
We underestimated them again (not me)
Our time will come...soon

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Haven't read all the posts, but, what exactly was Geno thinking having a hard three hour practice the day before the game, and another 90 minute practice the day of the game?

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Haven't read all the posts, but, what exactly was Geno thinking having a hard three hour practice the day before the game, and another 90 minute practice the day of the game?
An interesting question but the issue first needs a few clarifications as part of the answer:

1) Are the facts as reported by the announcers during the game accurate(both in duration and perceived intensity)?
2) What does Geno normally do and how different was this from the norm?
3) If it was abnormal, why?

Reaction Score

May they fail odiously for the rest of time.

May a camel fall out of the sky onto their team bus.

May everything green turn brown.

May the little leprechaun get leprosy.

May crackheads in South Bend steal the gold off their dome.

May the Pope refuse to talk to them, and charge them double for admission to the Vatican.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
1. Although UConn did not play great, they played well enough to win. When UConn plays more close games, they will find a way to pull them out. Let's face it, there have not been too many close games over the last six seasons.
2. It is incredible how much credit is given to Coach McGraw. She deserves her share, but she did not win the game. Presently, she is coaching the Big East Player of the Year. That goes a long way.
3. The difference, IMO, was Kayla McBride. She is smooth. And it benefits Notre Dame considerably that she is a guard that can slash and create her own offensive opportunities.
4. Skylar Diggins did not dominate, but made the two big threes and the free throws. She got her butt handed to her in Gampel as a freshman. However, she has come back stronger and is a consumate competitor.
Note: Look out for any player who does not play well in a Notre Dame-UConn contest.
5. No one dislikes Notre Dame more than I do. However, my abhorrence has been tempered of late by the addition of Niele Ivey to their coaching staff. I am going to miss her.

Yoo've got give Muffet her due. She understands UConn and prepares her team as well as anyone. I respect them, I don't like them, but I respect them.

Vod

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, ND outplayed our women. Seems like Team has problems with confidence/assuredness (that swagger) when they're on the receiving end of the likes of a UConn pressure defense,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom