Confusing COVID Protocols? | The Boneyard

Confusing COVID Protocols?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

This is confusing. This happens and an hour later they are playing. Someone please explain to me why all these programs are shutting down for 2 weeks but this is exempt? I hope this is the new norm somehow.

Reaction Score

This is confusing. This happens and an hour later they are playing. Someone please explain to me why all these programs are shutting down for 2 weeks but this is exempt? I hope this is the new norm somehow.

Only thing I can think of is it's a person who did not have any close contact with a player or coach? An adviser, equipment person...maybe? Lack of continuity and clarity really makes all of this difficult to understand.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Do you guys think Bobby had thanksgiving at the Danny’s house today?

Reaction Score
None of it makes sense. The 2 weeks is absurdly long and not at all consistent with science. 5 days should be the norm with testing if someone around the program pops positive
It's going to change, there's no way they are sticking to 14 day quarantine for the season.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
The no handshakes thing kills me after the dudes sweat on, breathe on and everything else for 40 minutes especially considering everyone on the court SHOULD definitely be negative.

I agree , kind of. No one should be in that building unless they are negative, BUT not every person on those benches sees the floor anyway. End of the day, why risk it for half-hearted hand slaps.

I mean I’m grateful they can get on the court, do I care that they wave to each other at the end?

no.

Reaction Score
Do you mean on the court? Because players were all wearing masks on the sidelines yesterday

I’m meaning in general. NFL players don’t mask up on the sideline, but once the camera is on them at midfield for a coin toss they put one on. I’m watching Purdump vs Clemson and the players aren’t wearing them on the bench, but the coaches are. This is going to be Laugh Out Loud funny to me for the rest of my life, people are literally so dumb and gullible

Reaction Score
I’m meaning in general. NFL players don’t mask up on the sideline, but once the camera is on them at midfield for a coin toss they put one on. I’m watching Purdump vs Clemson and the players aren’t wearing them on the bench, but the coaches are. This is going to be Laugh Out Loud funny to me for the rest of my life, people are literally so dumb and gullible
That's a weird thing to say.

Reaction Score
I wonder if these new mandates will change that

Reaction Score

I believe some of it is cosmetic theater its no different when politicians who tell everyone to wear masks end up taking them off when the cameras are off them. You saw the uconn players as they were walking off the court they had the mask in their hands kind of hesitating if they should put the mask on or not.

Reaction Score

This gets more interesting. Looks like Gonzaga is the frontier here and is taking a stand. I wonder if the NCAA will impose a fine or come out and make a ruling before the game today. This goes completely against the 14 day quarantine everyone has been following. If this sticks, this is really good news for this season in changing the protocols.

Reaction Score
Only thing I can think of is it's a person who did not have any close contact with a player or coach? An adviser, equipment person...maybe? Lack of continuity and clarity really makes all of this difficult to understand.

Yes, most likely is the positive case did not have "close contact" with the vast majority of team members/coaches as defined per CDC [most commonly used definition for contact tracing currently]. Basically with 6ft for > a few minute without masking...

None of it makes sense. The 2 weeks is absurdly long and not at all consistent with science. 5 days should be the norm with testing if someone around the program pops positive
It's going to change, there's no way they are sticking to 14 day quarantine for the season.

CDC has already indicated it's likely to change quarantine requirements soon because they are (1) overly conservative with estimate of duration of infectivity risk, and (2) much less likely to be followed at all by people because of the excessive length and impact on ability to work, etc.

Will probably morph to something like "minimum of 5 days post-exposure to index case combined with a negative PCR screening test". This is MUCH more manageable for society in general, as well as for college basketball teams.

Reaction Score
Most likely the teams decided to ignore the two weeks of nothingness. And took actions that they thought were appropriate.

Reaction Score
Most likely the teams decided to ignore the two weeks of nothingness. And took actions that they thought were appropriate.
I agree, and if that’s what happened then this sets a new precedent for how to manage positive tests. I like where this is going unless the NCAA slams down the hammer today/tomorrow.

Reaction Score
Xavier already did the same thing earlier this week, I don't think it's some kind of protest against the NCAA

Reaction Score
I agree, and if that’s what happened then this sets a new precedent for how to manage positive tests. I like where this is going unless the NCAA slams down the hammer today/tomorrow.
The NCAA has to be flexible if they want any kind of season....if a team has to shutdown no matter what for 2 weeks it won't work IMO.

Once schools begin conference play I hope the conferences take the lead on a manageable protocol with feedback between schools and conference.....the NCAA should have input but but the 14 day mandatory isn't workable.

Reaction Score
Color me cynical but the fact it's a big game on T-day Friday, last minute info so network is screwed if game is not played might have something to do with the medical staffs agreeing it's ok to play..

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The fact that there is college basketball during a global pandemic defies logic, but I will enjoy it while it lasts. I would recommend that basketball coaches not start pissing matches with government health officials on topics they know nothing about, because nothing will bring college basketball to an end quicker than that.

Reaction Score
I asked this question in an earlier thread:

I don't know the science on this, so it's a non-loaded question:

What's the difference in probability of catching a true positive case in the following two situations, both where a player is ID'd as a close contact of someone who tests positive:
- Close contacts quarantine and test daily for 7 days (or 10 days, etc.)
- Close contacts quarantine and test at the end of 14 days

The question is, what's the probability that a positive person will test repeatedly negative after 7 or 10 days but will test positive on the 14th day? Is it something like ~99% of positives are detectable after 7-10 days or significantly lower than that? It's the difference between excessive but unnecessary precaution and meaningful precautions.

Ultimately, this is what needs to drive the decision to shorten an isolation period or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom