Confused ...... | The Boneyard

Confused ......

Status
Not open for further replies.

blaqtech

Longtime Louisville Lover
Reaction Score
Alright, I'll admit since football has started the WNBA is not my top sports viewing pleasure anymore, but I'm confused about the playoff thing. I thought it was the east vs west ???....

how did the Liberty end up playing Phoenix, Dream vs Storm, Fever vs Phoenix..???

Why have a Conference if this is what they're doing now.....
this may be the norm for some time but it's crazy

Last edited:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Alright, I'll admit since football has started the WNBA is not my top sports viewing pleasure anymore, but I'm confused about the playoff thing. I thought it was the east vs west ???....

how did the Liberty end up playing Phoenix, Dream vs Storm, Fever vs Phoenix..???

Why have a Conference if this is what there doing now.....
They changed the whole format for this year - no conference designation for playoffs, and after the first two rounds it gets reranked depending on the surviving teams.

blaqtech

Longtime Louisville Lover
Reaction Score
Thanks Orangutan and UcMiami

Change for the better I guess.....

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
The playoff format changed prior to this season. It is no longer East vs. West. The playoff teams are seeded 1-8 regardless of conference.

Why even have conferences? I don't know. Good question.

Here's more on the new playoff format - WNBA Approves Significant Changes to Regular-Season and Playoff Formats - WNBA.com - Official Site of the WNBA

BTW, congrats on the Sky beating the Dream and moving into the semifinals, even without EDD. Ms. Vandersloot had an excellent game!

Reaction Score

Good question. It makes no sense. They should have all teams in one division, decrease the schedule to 33 games and eech team should play the other 11 teams three times each year.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Questions on the playoff format (I'm too busy to look it up):

Was the single-elimination added because the season ended late following the Olympics? Regardless of that, is this a multi-year change or hasn't that been decided?

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
In some cases, the original reasoning behind divisions in sports was to minimize team travel times. This was back in an era when travel was by bus or train, but seldom via air. Fans got used to the arrangement and probably expected it. Fans prove again and again that they tend to dislike changes.

Today, divisions serve little purpose other than to give fans multiple leaders, which makes more people more interested, perhaps selling more tickets. One team flying solo at the top of the standings can be a buzz kill. Think: baseball, circa 1964.

What the WNBA is doing seems to me a sort of virtual division setup. I like it.

As to some other sports playoff arrangements, NASCAR has alienated what is left of their original or old school fan base with their cockeyed "chase" format. Only this sport could concoct a scheme where one driver could win every race except the last one, finish second in that one, and still NOT win the season championship. What they wanted was "excitement." What they created was a rather randomized finish. But at least, with the present setup, they made it less likely that anyone can break the "sacred" seven championships won record of Earnhardt and Petty.

If the WNBA is guilty of anything here, it is the reverse. They have built a system in which the best teams have an easier path to the championship and the TV exposure, etcetera. It's a stacked deck to an extent, but most fans are probably good with it, as am I.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score

The only game I started to watch(but turned off) was the "National Anthem Haters" vs the team where most players respected the flag.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Razzle

Top Bottom