Conference revenue per Forbes | The Boneyard

Conference revenue per Forbes

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
While many want to believe the demise of the ACC is just a matter of time, this article shows that they are not wildly out of the money per school.

http://www.kansascity.com/2013/01/16/4014439/forbes-big-ten-tops-revenue-list.html

This article does not normalize the numbers for the amount of teams in each conference, nor does it include the Tier 3 rights for the Big12 (one of the two most likely candidates to poach the ACC).

Am I saying it will happen? No. I have no friggin' clue as to what's going to happen. But this article is relatively pointless, and no real data or value can be drawn out of looking at the numbers this way...

Reaction Score
This article does not normalize the numbers for the amount of teams in each conference, nor does it include the Tier 3 rights for the Big12 (one of the two most likely candidates to poach the ACC).

Am I saying it will happen? No. I have no friggin' clue as to what's going to happen. But this article is relatively pointless, and no real data or value can be drawn out of looking at the numbers this way...

It at least comes from a real source and it includes both FB and BB revenue. It may or may not include the tier 3. I have not read the original Forbes article yet. The link to the KC paper is clearly very Big 12 centric in its focus.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
It at least comes from a real source and it includes both FB and BB revenue. It may or may not include the tier 3. I have not read the original Forbes article yet. The link to the KC paper is clearly very Big 12 centric in its focus.

It "may or may not"??? That means you didn't read it:

"The Big 12 figure also doesn’t include third-tier television rights, which are controlled by the schools. Texas’ ESPN-based Longhorn Network is worth $300 million over 20 years. The Jayhawk Network added some $6.5 million to Kansas’ coffers in 2012, according to federal papers filed by the university"

If you are going to start a thread based on a link, at least do us the courtesy of reading it...

Reaction Score

Not entirely sure you read it either. :) There's a chart on the side that does break it down for the amount per school. The Big 12 came out on top at $26.2 million

And yes, it does not appear to include any non-conference generated Tier 3 rights (It specifically states the Big 12 is not included, and the SEC is probably handled the same. The other 3 conferences pool their rights)

Although I will note that outside of Texas, the Tier 3 stuff for the Big 12 shouldn't move the needle much. The Kansas number appears to include many non-tv Tier 3 rights, which all the other schools have and are also not included in the figures.

It also highlights one one the reasons the Big 12 is not likely to be that big of a threat to the ACC. The difference in payout is not that much. And with the Big 12 locked into long-term deals with no real chance of starting a network (thanks to Texas), there's no much reason to believe these figures will drastically change outside of figures that all the conferences are getting (new playoff money, etc...)

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Not entirely sure you read it either. :) There's a chart on the side that does break it down for the amount per school. The Big 12 came out on top at $26.2 million

And yes, it does not appear to include any non-conference generated Tier 3 rights (It specifically states the Big 12 is not included, and the SEC is probably handled the same. The other 3 conferences pool their rights)

Although I will note that outside of Texas, the Tier 3 stuff for the Big 12 shouldn't move the needle much. The Kansas number appears to include many non-tv Tier 3 rights, which all the other schools have and are also not included in the figures.

It also highlights one one the reasons the Big 12 is not likely to be that big of a threat to the ACC. The difference in payout is not that much. And with the Big 12 locked into long-term deals with no real chance of starting a network (thanks to Texas), there's no much reason to believe these figures will drastically change outside of figures that all the conferences are getting (new playoff money, etc...)

I should have been more clear about what I typed. If you look at the graph, the numbers are being calculated for a 12-team ACC. However, the ACC will cease to be only 12 teams very shortly. I would like to see a numbers normalization when they include Syracuse, Pitt, Louisville, and Notre Dame.

Also, what is the point of the numbers comparisons if the article comes out and says they aren't calculating Tier 3 for some of the conferences? So yes, I did read the article. And no, it doesn't really add anything to the evaluation of whether the ACC will continue to be poached...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom