Not open for further replies.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
ACC - 8 teams in, 5 make it to the S16. Clearly the best conference
SEC - 7 teams in, 2 meke it to the S16. Clearly overrated
BIG - 7 teams in, 2 make it to the S16. Clearly a weak WCBB conference
PAC 12 - 5 teams in, 2 make it to S16.
Big 12 - 5 teams in , 2 make it to the S16.
AAC - 3 teams in, 1 makes it to the S16. SFU came close to beating Louisville but couldn't quite do it. At least we don't have to play SFU a fourth time.
A10 - 2 teams in, 1 makes it to S16
WCC - 2 teams in, 1 makes it to S16

Read more: http://collegefansonly.net/thread/13744/conference-results-running-thread#ixzz3VIoG3MBT

Plagiarized from another board. :)

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Based on seedings the conference that disappointed the most was the PAC - 4 teams in the top 16 (hosting) but only two teams make it through. They lost OrSt which was a 3 seed and Cal which was a 4 seed.

The other conference that underperformed their seeding was the SEC. They were expected to have three teams make it to the E8 game and only two are advancing to the S16 with over-seeded KY falling as a 2 seed. Even had they been more properly been seeded as a 3 they would have 'underperformed' but not by two rounds.

On the other end the conferences that over-performed:
Big 12 was expected to get only one team to the second weekend but one of their two #5 seeds (Texas) got the 'minor' upset in their 5/4 match-ups.
A-10 - Dayton with the major upset of KY
WCC - Gonzaga with the major upset of OrSt.

And I think the tough luck award still belongs to Princeton - grossly under-seeded to my mind as an 8. I would have liked to see them face one of the 3 or 4 seeds in the second round instead of having to play a #1 seed - that was a hill too high to climb but they certainly got Maryland's attention. Give them a game against a Duke, Texas, OrSt, AzSt, or Iowa and they might just have won through to the second weekend. Their record deserved better than the #8 they received when put up against the mediocrity of a bunch of the 5-7 seed at large P5 teams.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
I wish were were in the ACC. And we would be if Football weren't driving the bus of college athletics.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I wish were were in the ACC. And we would be if Football weren't driving the bus of college athletics.
The football program is on the right track in that they have hired what most consider a really really good coach. It will take a few years before the kids HE recruits will make an impact in the league, but it's just a matter of time before UCONN is out of the AAC. In the meantime, we have to make the best of it. In the long run, IF UCONN were to be stuck in the conference, it's not nearly as bad as people seem to think. 3 teams in the NCAA's, and 3 or 4 in the NIT. Temple, Tulsa, ECU - was there a 4th team? If not, at least all 3 of them won their first round. The league is improving.

Both Tulsa and ECU lost in the 2nd round but Temple advanced. Not ideal, but it's really the first year in the league for most of those teams. Give them time to improve recruiting etc. And for now, every year UCONN gets to have games in Texas, Florida, Ohio, Carolina, Pennsylvania, Louisiana, and Oklahoma. Several of those states are hotbeds for recruiting.

Don't get me wrong - I'll be thrilled when we're gone, but for now, we have to make the best of it.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Eric - nice summing up.
(And I would say it was football, politics, and academics that stopped us being in the Big10 or ACC - do not lay it all on the football team.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom