Conference impact of Possible (probable?) new subdivision | The Boneyard

Conference impact of Possible (probable?) new subdivision

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I did not want to change the intent of the other thread, so I am posting here.

If we are looking at 4 conferences one of either the ACC or B12 would need to cease to exist. I see the b12 as the most likely to disappear.

I would also expect each conference to be the same size, 16, 18 or 20. At 16 do we make the cut?

Reaction Score
Stinger92860 said:
I did not want to change the intent of the other thread, so I am posting here. If we are looking at 4 conferences one of either the ACC or B12 would need to cease to exist. I see the b12 as the most likely to disappear. I would also expect each conference to be the same size, 16, 18 or 20. At 16 do we make the cut?

Yes.

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
Under that scenario, the BIG needs 2, the ACC needs 2, the SEC needs 2, the PAC needs 4. The Big 12 teams would likely be disbursed first. Notre Dame is a wildcard. Those 11 go first to fill the 10 slots. We are left out along with one other...possibly Baylor.

Reaction Score
If this actually ever did come to fruition (and I would be surprised if it did) then I'd think if it is 4x16 we could be screwed; 4x18 I like our odds; 4x20 we are solid.

As for the B12, if it were to be the league to fall (which it could just as easily be the ACC) then anyone not name Texas, Oklahoma, and Kansas could be sweating a bit if the # is 16. Especially ISU, KSU, TCU, and WVU.

pj

Reaction Score
Under that scenario, the BIG needs 2, the ACC needs 2, the SEC needs 2, the PAC needs 4. The Big 12 teams would likely be disbursed first. Notre Dame is a wildcard. Those 11 go first to fill the 10 slots. We are left out along with one other...possibly Baylor.

If two schools out of the B12 and us are getting left out, surely Iowa State, Kansas State, and others would be left out ahead of us.

Reaction Score
pj said:
If two schools out of the B12 and us are getting left out, surely Iowa State, Kansas State, and others would be left out ahead of us.

Yep. If any conference falls apart, UConn will have a home before many current schools from the defunct p5 conference

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
The only way the Big12 breaks up, and I mean "the only way", is if Texas and OU decide to go elsewhere (which seems highly unlikely to me, since they could have gone to the Pac12 a couple of years ago).

Having said that, let's imagine for a moment that Texas and OU actually decide to go on to another conference. There are too many "good properties" left out there to not be able to reform a 5th power conference (the "new" Big12). There is no way that a collection of the following teams gets left out:

Oklahoma State
Texas Tech
Baylor
Kansas
Kansas State
TCU
West Virginia
Iowa State
*UConn
*Cincy
*BYU
*(place fourth team here from either Boise, UCF, USF, etc.)

Just looking at that conference from the two major sports, they would be just as good as the ACC in football and they would still be vastly better than the Pac12 in basketball...

Reaction Score
I reluctantly agree with some suggestions in this thread........(not the concept, but the implication for UConn ) .......P-4 of 16 teams leaves UConn out, P-4 of 18 teams may have UConn on a bubble. I don't see a P-5 of 16-18 teams as the picks for such is slim at best........defeats the "power" concept in the conference......unless you're speaking only of NCAA voting strength and not league performance standards "top to bottom".

Reaction Score
I did not want to change the intent of the other thread, so I am posting here.

If we are looking at 4 conferences one of either the ACC or B12 would need to cease to exist. I see the b12 as the most likely to disappear.

I would also expect each conference to be the same size, 16, 18 or 20. At 16 do we make the cut?
At 16 teams per conference I like our chances of making the cut because the surviving conferences all have to add teams to get to 16 and none would be obligated to teams in the conference that goes belly up. My bigger worry would be if it were the ACC that crapped the bed. The B1G and the SEC could divvy up the VA and UC schools. That would leave us as one of the 6 teams the B12 needs. Not appealing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom