Conf HQ | The Boneyard

Conf HQ

Reaction Score
Dickies-Arena.jpg

Reaction Score
It only makes sense to relocate there. They are already preparing to take the remnants of the Big 12 down the road. Most schools are a lot closer to Dallas than New England. Moreover, UConn will be falling further down in the pecking order in that conference as well. I don't think UConn will remain in that conference after that happens. More likely to join a newly formed G5 Conference in the east or the MAC.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Couple the HQ move to Dallas with the inevitable successor to Aresco who most likely will not have a connection to New England and you have us on the outside looking in on the conference.

Providence never made sense, but its also hard to make sense of any other city but Dallas for the HQ. What's the next best alternative, Washington DC for a more central location in a major city? Looking at a map Nashville seems to be the city in the center...and if you want a city with a school, guess the answer is Memphis. :eek:

Reaction Score
I don't understand the fuss over conference HQs. How often do schools travel to the HQ? How often does staff travel to the schools. It seems like every conference meeting is held at a resort somewhere. Sure, you want it in the conference footprint but would it be a sin if it were not? Facility cost and workforce availability should be the determining criteria.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
I don't understand the fuss over conference HQs. How often do schools travel to the HQ? How often does staff travel to the schools. It seems like every conference meeting is held at a resort somewhere. Sure, you want it in the conference footprint but would it be a sin if it were not? Facility cost and workforce availability should be the determining criteria.

Read the article. Men's hoop will not regain competence and eventually greatness until they find a hoop conference w/ greater luster.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Is there someone who thinks we can or should complain about this? Dallas is the largest metro area directly in the conference. It's as centrally located as any that would be reasonable (e.g. not Memphis). It's super cheap, even compared to Providence. It has more "bona fides" and access to people in the football world than Providence ever could.

This will have no impact whatsoever on UConn basketball.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
There was another article today in "Sports Day" about possible admissions to the Big 12 in 5 years. UConn is not even considered.

Stick a fork in us. We're done.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
"UConn" appears once in this article, listed next to the projected standings, where they have us 3-9(1-7).

Hard to overstate how dire the situation is in our athletic department.

Dire is when you are bleeding to death. We are what happens after that.

Reaction Score
Is there someone who thinks we can or should complain about this? Dallas is the largest metro area directly in the conference. It's as centrally located as any that would be reasonable (e.g. not Memphis). It's super cheap, even compared to Providence. It has more "bona fides" and access to people in the football world than Providence ever could.

Makes perfect sense to me. The Cowboys are in the NFC East so there is a direct historical tie.

The AAC overlaps or has a geographical tie to almost all of the NFL divisions:
AFC East, North, South, and even West (KC)
NFC East, South

Reaction Score
There was another article today in "Sports Day" about possible admissions to the Big 12 in 5 years. UConn is not even considered.
I consider that a positive. The Big 12 is doomed.

Reaction Score
I consider that a positive. The Big 12 is doomed.
People said the same thing before, yet they survive and make a lot of money. Even if TX and OU leave they will backfill with the best of the AAC in football and keep their P5 status.

Reaction Score
People said the same thing before, yet they survive and make a lot of money. Even if TX and OU leave they will backfill with the best of the AAC in football and keep their P5 status.
If Texas leaves the Big 12 it will be more than just Texas and Oklahoma leaving, and the remainder of the Big 12 will be lucky to land in the AAC.

Reaction Score
If Texas leaves the Big 12 it will be more than just Texas and Oklahoma leaving, and the remainder of the Big 12 will be lucky to land in the AAC.
I believe that the fill will go to the Big 12. Likely Cinci as a partner for WVU, and maybe the Houston or Memphis as strong possibilities. The AAC will then add the likes of UMass and or a MAC school to remain viable maybe.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score

Wow. Head in sand. Oh well.

Reaction Score
Just win games and we come right back. Nobody talks about basement teams. You want a feature in the article when we are predicted to go 1-7 in the conference?

Reaction Score
I believe that the fill will go to the Big 12. Likely Cinci as a partner for WVU, and maybe the Houston or Memphis as strong possibilities. The AAC will then add the likes of UMass and or a MAC school to remain viable maybe.
Let me get this right. The Big 12 completely skipped over Memphis but considered us during possible expansion but now they will take Memphis over us? Can I try some of whatever you take? Or maybe not?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
When I heard about arena name I thought it was for the BBQ joint.

upload_2018-6-8_0-5-48.jpeg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom