Concussions---we're featured prominently...not in a good way | The Boneyard

Concussions---we're featured prominently...not in a good way

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Honestly, I htink one could justify it based on that play call. Also have to take the medical staff to task on letting him play at all and certainly on letting him return after the first hit.

Reaction Score
His throws and decisions were increasingly more and more off just prior to that

Reaction Score
Well, I guess there's no such thing as bad publicity.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Let's see if WM gets in front of this and announces new procedures or he just decides to monitor the situation.

Reaction Score
Well Pasqualoni might be a moron and all of that but isn't that why you have a medical staff? The medical staff are the ones that should be fired for letting him on the field

Reaction Score
"If a coach or trainer isn't forthcoming, there's not much a reporter can do: On account of federal medical privacy laws, schools are not required to share information about player injuries."

So let's make assumptions that what the schools did was wrong... Strange bedfellows there - Slate/Washington Post and Deadspin?

What's more bizarre is how big UConn is in to concussion research. It's definitely not a consistent message.

http://ksi.uconn.edu/emergency-conditions/traumatic-brain-injury/

CTMike - Missing how UConn is not sending out a "consisitent message"? The guidelines you attach are apparently for "minors". There is no evidence that UConn did not follow appropriate guidelines in regards to CW or other players. Each player manifests symptoms differently. This is NOT a coaching issue - this is a medical/atheletic training staff issue. In my experiance - players are often not forthcoming regarding symptoms and that's why it is imperative that the medical/athletic training staff be involved - not coaches.

Reaction Score
Putting a QB coming off a concussion into a play where he is unprotected IS a coaching issue.

Do you change what type of plays your running back can run if he's coming off a suspected concussion - or how about your wide receiver, do you avoid calling routes over the middle and only limit him to sideline routes to avoid contact? Cleared is cleared and that is on medical staff.

I get where people are going and absolute safety of the ALL players should be paramount - but you can't have it both ways.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Do you change what type of plays your running back can run if he's coming off a suspected concussion - or how about your wide receiver, do you avoid calling routes over the middle and only limit him to sideline routes to avoid contact? Cleared is cleared and that is on medical staff.

I get where people are going and absolute safety of the ALL players should be paramount - but you can't have it both ways.

I don't send a woozy QB to WR.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
This is one of the toughest things about the game of football, really. In my humble opinion (although I'm not a doctor), I really believe that it's the full responsibility of the medical staff to keep this kid (or any kid) out of the game if there is even a doubt that he is not okay! The coaches are always going to default to the decision of the medical staff. If they get the "thumbs up" from the medical staff, they are going to behave like everything is okay and it's business as usual. It seems clear now that it wasn't "business as usual" for Chandler, and the medical staff should have known as much...

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I don't send a woozy QB to WR.

Agreed. Furthermore, I don't send a woozy QB to QB (or any position to any position).

Reaction Score
I was surprised Chandler was allowed to play at all after the concussion vs Louisville. Common sense should have told the staff to move to the backups whether there was a Bowl bid on the line or not. Chandler mentioned the headaches (from L-Ville) having to be dealt with in his postgame interview which is a sign it wasn't a minor thing. I got my bell rung once in HS and once afterwards and never had headaches. Just was fuzzy for a while in the game, lost conciousness briefly the second time. Concussions seem to be having a more longer lasting effect nowadays. I know a young softball player got a ball in the head in a game and had effects lasting months. This really ticks me off that the coaching staff wasn't able to say we are going with the backups, it's for the best Chandler. Luckily most fans in our section had left because when Chandler was getting walked off the field I was yelling what a stupid playcall. Not happy with those 2 old guys.

Reaction Score
So you think the players don't try to go out there with concussions?

Reaction Score
They do but Chandler was a known situation as he was removed from a game. Players probably see bright lights, stars, feel a bit fuzzy and aren't noticably having trouble walking straight and can get away with it. With known concussions the liability factor is going to reel it's ugly head.

Reaction Score
I was surprised Chandler was allowed to play at all after the concussion vs Louisville. Common sense should have told the staff to move to the backups whether there was a Bowl bid on the line or not. Chandler mentioned the headaches (from L-Ville) having to be dealt with in his postgame interview which is a sign it wasn't a minor thing. I got my bell rung once in HS and once afterwards and never had headaches. Just was fuzzy for a while in the game, lost conciousness briefly the second time. Concussions seem to be having a more longer lasting effect nowadays. I know a young softball player got a ball in the head in a game and had effects lasting months. This really ticks me off that the coaching staff wasn't able to say we are going with the backups, it's for the best Chandler. Luckily most fans in our section had left because when Chandler was getting walked off the field I was yelling what a stupid playcall. Not happy with those 2 old guys.

You can have a concussion and not have headaches and you can have headaches without having a concussion.Concussions haven't changed over the years nor have their frequency... there is just more awareness. Concussions actually had a slight decline in a recent study: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-...ege-football-down-by-26-ncaa-study-finds.html

If folks are mad because he was cleared by the medical staff to play a week after Louisville game - nothing will change people's opinions on that - I'm sure that decison wasn't made lightly.

This is not a PP/UConn Football problem - this is a sports/society problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom