Concern going into Tournament play | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Concern going into Tournament play

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I think that’s a somewhat valid concern, as is our at times miserable FT shooting. I think next weekend we’ll likely get some experience in at least 1 close game which will be good.

I think we know this team well, in that we can’t know what to expect. At their best, they can beat anyone out there who isn’t on their best day, at their worst, we’re going home first round. I am liking the fact that Polley and Martin haven’t had a great game in a long time, and lately we’ve been winning well while not playing our best basketball.

I think our best games are ahead of us, teams gotta stay positive, have fun, support each other, work hard and we’ll be successful
I absolutely LOVED that Wednesday's game showed 15-16 FTs.
Polley should buy Sanogo a steak dinner and say look for me when you get double teamed outside the circle.
The remaining puzzle piece is passing out of a double team or clogged lane. I'd love to see some attempts and success with it tomorrow.

So important, the team having the ability to execute mistake free basketball the last six minutes, taking good shots, defending, not turning the ball over, and making their foul shots. That swagger that a team develops, that confidence they have after learning how to close out games, the belief that they will win these close, down to the wire games.
My UConn basketball mantra is defensive stops, no turnovers, made free throws. If you have the lead and do those, then the other team cannot catch up.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
That is a concern. It amazes me that so many coaches put too many players in the backcourt as potential receivers of the inbounds pass, this eliminates spacing which you need. Just put two guys there as potential receivers, they will get open. And so many inbound passes go to the corner - the last place you want that pass to go. And please get the ball in asap to the first open teammate.
We should learn from the girls team. They play basketball the right way.

Reaction Score
Defense and rebounding are big keys, which can be still be done if our offense isn’t flowing. Has been great to see many others step up at certain spots over the past few games. Luv to see Sanogo stay out of foul trouble and Polley chip in with some threes. Hopefully Martin stays involved, keep that compression sleeve tag out if it helps!

Reaction Score
Having Bouk and Jackson back helps a great deal. I believe Bouk being out helped us in a way so in a way we learn how to deal in the event he is out with foul trouble and that other teams will try to take the ball out of his hands, not saying of course we dont need him to play like the player he is obviously.

There were definitely encouraging signs from the last game,

-Sanogo stepping up huge against Seniors of Seton Hall after looking like he had hit a freshman wall.

-not having to use Carlton after looking like we definitely needed him, giving him more rest essentially giving him another week. Just good to have that luxury.

-Whaley stepping up dominating Karnishovis, however you spell that dudes name, doesn't deserve to have his name spelled right anyways lol

-Hitting 15-16 fts and facing the press is good preparation of what we could see from other teams moving forward

What we need going forward.

-Getting off to better starts not that its a huge deal being down 8 early or trailing at the half but would be nice to break that habit

-Less turnovers and finishing at the rim

-Polley wanna 3, just give us maybe 2 a game

-Gaffney, needs to step up great hightlight dunk take, but more consistency care of the
basketball.

The key is to be a team peaking and not have peaked. Gotta get better little by little and we got a shot.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
Our defense and rebounding seem to be close to a given right now and the huge question mark (to me) is our offense. Hurley said in his post-game after Seton Hall that we had issues on offense and I'd agree. Very few assists and a lot of our points were due to either good outside shooting (which comes and goes) or offensive rebounds / put-backs (which is probably more reliable).

Cole has been making shots which makes a huge difference in how our offense looks but he doesn't do as much creating and if we have a cold stretch (thinking the last 15 minutes of the first half against Georgetown), we can look as ugly as any team out there. That's my biggest worry.

Reaction Score
Playing slow. If we revert to playing slowly, we've got problems. We suck at it. Even trying to milk the clock destroys whatever positive mojo we may have established earlier.

Reaction Score
it might sound insane but at this point i think i'd be disappointed if we didnt win the BET given the issues at nova and creighton. would be good for at least a 6 seed in the big dance and we can do some serious damage at that spot. elite 8 here we come.

Reaction Score
it might sound insane but at this point i think i'd be disappointed if we didnt win the BET given the issues at nova and creighton. would be good for at least a 6 seed in the big dance and we can do some serious damage at that spot. elite 8 here we come.
Come on dude you don’t shoot for the elite 8.

Reaction Score
If Bouk gets his jump shot back, we can make a deep run I think the tournament and play with just about anyone. If he doesn't, then we can still have some success but I'm concerned we can play with the best of the best.
he better if he‘s a lottery pick

Reaction Score
I'm concerned that we play so well that some here won't have anything to complain about.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom